Chapter 4

Muse

Hey, gang :~D How's everyone doing? Sorry it took me a while to update this fic, I've had a lot of stuff going on lately. This is a follow-up to Seulgi's crazy 'dance-' montage with Wendy in da club, enjoy! 


The night air had turned steadily colder the closer it got to dawn. Luckily, all the dancing and drinking (and pill-popping) had warmed up my body considerably, so I wasn’t too uncomfortable. Wendy and I chatted quite amicably together, Wendy taking turns to point out various city landmarks to my untrained eye during intervals, since I was a newcomer to New York. And then seemingly out of nowhere, Wendy began talking about Irene, gauging me for certain responses that I gave her quite happily. Which in hindsight was probably a big mistake.

“You like her, don’t you?” she asked in a different tone, which threw me a little.

“Of course I like Irene. She’s a good friend.” I replied simply, puzzled by her tone.

“That’s not what I meant. You really…really like her.” Wendy emphasised, gazing at me momentarily while we walked on.

I finally understood what she was getting at. But I insisted on playing dumb for now, curious about the direction the conversation would take next.

“What’s not to like? She’s sweet and funny. Who doesn’t like those things? I bet Suho likes those things about her.” I pointed out with particular emphasis on mentioning Irene’s boyfriend in the same sentence.

“Maybe he does. Or maybe they just use one another for .” Wendy remarked with a coy smile on her face.

“Well then, that’s…great…for…both of them.” I offered stupidly, cursing myself for my sudden lack of wit or tact.

Wendy chuckled next to me and I relaxed a bit more, sensing that she’d been kidding about what she’d said about Suho and Irene’s ual relationship. But a part of me couldn’t help wondering whether some aspect of what she said was true. Or was it just a ploy on her part to trap me into an unwanted response? Girls are so weird sometimes.

Wendy began slowing down when we reached an apartment block on the corner of the pavement. “This is me.” She offered meekly with a jerk of her thumb behind her.

“Nice pile of bricks ya got here.” I murmured, putting on a Brooklyn drawl, which made chuckle softly.

“Thanks. So here we are,” Wendy noted quietly.

“Indeed.” I agreed, matching her tone while I bounced slightly on the balls of my feet.

Then Wendy moved well into my personal space till I could feel the breath from her nostrils fanning my chin. My heart started hammering loudly in my chest while I tried my best to disavow what I thought she was about to do. Unlike the quick movement which I had initially anticipated, Wendy grazed her nose gently against mine before brushing her lips against mine. was soft and deliciously moist, leaving a slight cherry after-taste on my tongue when she pulled away. It was over after a few seconds and Wendy resumed her place next to me once more.

“Um…what was that for?” I asked lamely, my eyes fluttering open to stare at her.

“Just ‘cause. I wanted to do that on the dance floor earlier.” Wendy confessed lightly while biting her bottom lip.

“Then I don’t understand. Why did you ask me about liking Irene before?” I questioned seriously, still not understanding her motives.

Now it was Wendy’s turn to look abashed for the first time all night.

“I don’t know, call it another woman’s intuition. I thought I saw something there when you looked at her a couple of times back at ‘Greenhouse’. It’s the way that Irene talks about you too; she obviously cares about you a lot.” Wendy answered truthfully.

Now my head was positively reeling at this point. What was she trying to say?

“I still don’t get it. Why would you go out of your way to kiss someone who you think likes a friend of yours?” I asked in disbelief.

“I guess I saw…something that I liked about you too. And even if it’s just for one night, I don’t see why we can’t still have a good time together.” Wendy remarked slowly.

“And you’d really be cool with that?” I asked curiously, staring intently at her all the while.

“I’m game if you are.” Wendy murmured demurely.

There really is no arguing with a response like that, especially when someone as attractive as Wendy asks so nicely. Then she her lips subtly and it reeled me right in, hook, line and sinker as I pressed my mouth forcefully against hers. Perhaps it was that ache deep in my chest made by Irene that caused me to respond at all, deepening the kiss till my tongue slid inside as I let myself go completely. I felt Wendy’s head turn to the side while she ran her hands up and down my arms; I in turn groaned into the kiss and pulled her closer till she was flush against me, chest to chest, our breath mingling into one single entity of consciousness.

When we eventually stopped, I was the one panting hard like I had just run a marathon while Wendy looked perfectly serene. Then she grinned at me and began walking backwards towards the main entrance, her eyes locked on me the entire time.

And all I could do in my befuddled state of mind was my lips in turn and follow blindly.


I splashed cold water on my face and stared for a long time in the mirror in Wendy’s bathroom.

I spent the night at a beautiful woman’s apartment after drinking and dancing like a crazy person, and it wasn’t even Irene. Life is strange sometimes.

And it got even stranger when Wendy emerged from her bedroom, dressed only in a faded sleepshirt and sleep shorts that showed off her splendid body. Her long hair was mussed up and sticking out in great big tufts, but she still looked pretty cute for first thing in the morning.

“Hey,” Wendy greeted in a husky voice, a sleepy smile forming on her face.

“Morning,” I greeted back, swallowing down saliva as I took in her delectably dishevelled features. “Sleep well?”

“Mmm,” Wendy murmured, stepping excruciatingly closer to me. “If you need a toothbrush, there’s a spare one in the medicine cabinet behind you.”

“A used one?”

Wendy rolled her eyes and smirked at me, which made her even ier in my eyes. “Cute.”

Her arm moved past my head and reached for the toothbrush. And in doing so, her body was pressed right up against mine. Did she do that on purpose?

Our eyes met and Wendy leant more into me, smiling broadly all the while.

Yip, definitely on purpose.

Too bad I kinda like it. I am so lame.

Then she handed me the toothbrush that was still in its plastic wrapper, completely business-like. Why must all women be such infernal teases?

“Want some breakfast?” Wendy asked after we were both done brushing our teeth.

“Sure. But first…” I caught Wendy off guard by tugging on her sleepshirt till she wound up in my arms.  

“I want your lips more.”

Wendy smiled seductively and it wasn’t long before she had me pressed up against the bathroom sink, kissing feverishly till the yellow sun crept up from the horizon.


I eventually made it back to my own apartment around 6am, completely spent and bleary-eyed. Just after I unlocked my front door, I must’ve jumped about six feet in the air when I found Joy sitting on the living room sofa, clearly waiting for me to show up.

“Geez, Joy! You scared the out of me,” I berated hoarsely while clutching a hand to my chest, my heart beating rapidly beneath.

“I called your cellphone a dozen times and you didn’t pick up. I was worried sick.” Joy responded coolly.

“It died a couple of hours ago. I forgot to charge the battery before we went to ‘Greenhouse’.” I explained slowly, strolling tiredly into the kitchen to brew a fresh pot of coffee.

Joy followed me into the kitchen and stood in the doorway with her arms folded tightly across her chest.

“Where were you, Seulgi?” she demanded impatiently.

“At Wendy’s.” I answered calmly, albeit a little reluctantly.

Whatever answer Joy had been expecting, it clearly wasn’t the one I had given her judging by the look of surprise on her face. She goggled at me for a few more seconds before deciding to respond.

“You were at Wendy’s apartment this whole time?” she asked me in disbelief.

“You seem surprised.” I noted dryly.

I took out two mugs from the cabinet and poured coffee into them. Then I added sugar to each cup and stirred it consistently until the remaining residue disappeared. I handed one of the mugs to Joy and sipped delicately on the other.

“Well, yeah. I thought you were just gonna walk her home and then come back here. What exactly happened last night?” Joy asked in a different tone, a sly grin curling on her lips.

I blew lightly on the scalding mixture in my mug before answering.

“Nothing happened.”

Joy raised an eyebrow in response like she didn’t believe me.

“Well, considering that you just met her and you slept over at her apartment, that’s code for…” Joy trailed off slyly.

“It’s code for ‘nothing happened’, Joy.” I retorted shortly.  “We just kissed…a little.” I admitted a few seconds later in an abashed tone.

“Uh huh, so something did happen last night? Well, how was it?” Joy asked curiously, a grin still etched on her face.

I hesitated ever so slightly before answering.

“It was nice.” I relented finally.

“That’s it? Nice?” Joy demanded incredulously, cocking her head subtly to the side.

“It was nice and I liked it a lot. But it’s not gonna happen again.” I responded truthfully.

“How come?” Joy questioned seriously.

“Because…I’m interested in someone else, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. Wendy’s really cool and I don’t wanna lead her on. So it’s better if we just part ways now with our hearts still intact before things get messy and complicated.” I explained soberly.

“That seems fair. So you talked about it this morning?” Joy questioned patiently while drinking her coffee.

“Yip. After we fooled around a little earlier this morning, we dozed off again on her couch. Then she made me coffee and schmeered me a bagel around 5am, then I left.” I replied calmly.

“Wow, Seulgi. You sure know how to take the shame out of a walk of shame.” Joy quipped sarcastically. 

“Yeah, yeah. What about you, huh? I’m surprised you didn’t do any shame-walking yourself this morning. If I recall, you and Xiumin seemed pretty cosy on the dance floor last night.” I remarked teasingly with a suggestive wink.

Joy rolled her eyes before answering.

“That guy is too slick for his own good. We danced a couple of times, and then I took a cab home…alone. Then I spent the rest of the morning waiting for your sorry to get back here.” Joy responded in a dignified tone, slapping me playfully with a dish cloth.

“Joy, I didn’t expect of this you. I had no idea you cared so much.” I teased, feigning a seductive tone, causing her to scowl at me while I laughed openly.

“That’s right, you just make your little jokes. I’m not the one who has to go to work in two hours.” Joy announced smugly.

I looked sharply at the microwave clock and groaned loudly, causing her to laugh hysterically at my expression.

“Looks like you’ll have to make that walk of shame all the way to your office now.” She teased airily while downing the rest of her coffee.

“Kill me now.” I quipped sardonically.


I know it was a short chapter, but hopefully still hot because Wendy was there. Does anyone else get giddy when she starts talking in English? That melts my cheese in the best possible way ;~D But don't despair, Irene will be back next chapter and there'll be some fluffy Seulrene time. Now I'm off to watch more of 'That 70's Show', I'm so glad Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis are a couple for real *starry eyes* Pip pip cheerio!