Confidences

The Seal of Light
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Brother shall turn against Brother, and even the Towers will join in the battles." - The Prophecies of Light

 

Jeonghan's pleas for help seemed destined to be pushed aside. The Mages of the Western Reaches took his words into great consideration, but after discussing the matter amongst themselves they told him that they were not nearly as knowledgeable about the prophecies as the Tower in Redien. With no small amount of frustration, the immortal ended the conversation by picking up the bowl to throw the water to the floor. It took every ounce of his self control to not dash the bowl alongside the enspelled liquid, but he remembered his promise to Junhui and kept a hold on it with white knuckled fingers.

So the Western Reaches were of no use, nor were the High Mages of Redien. The common consensus among the immortals seemed to be that if the Seals failed then the humans would be the ones to pay the price, thereby leaving the City of Light untouched. There was a passage within the prophecy that seemed to indicate that mortals would be the ones affected, and had no mention of the race of the long-lived. That passage was used by many to explain their absence in dealings with humans, to explain their nonchalance about the failure of the Seals. Young as he might be, Jeonghan had studied the prophecies in depth and he believed that if the Seals fell, then there would be nothing left, for human and immortal alike. Unfortunately, his young age meant that his voice went unheard amongst the council.

Looking down at the water pooled on his floor, he felt a plan begin to form. If he could ride to the Tower in Redien and convince even one of the High Mages that the end was nigh, then maybe he could turn the tide. As the prophecies said, 'The balance rides on the wings of fate.' Perhaps, with his magic and a fair dose of luck, he could change the world's fate.

His mind made up, he set the scrying bowl back on the small pedastal in the center of the room, where he focused his power the best. He scribbled a quick note in his long, elegant handwriting, telling Junhui thank you for the use of his bowl and that Jeonghan was taking steps to righting the balance. He knew that Junhui would understand the need for his secret departure, what with the way that the council wanted to know everyone's comings and goings and the whys of everything. They would just try to stop Jeonghan, to discourage him from his mission. 

He halfway hoped that his friend would find the note in time to accompany him, but the other side of him knew that Junhui was not suited to the travelling lifestyle. Jeonghan wasn't, either, if he was being honest with himself. But this was necessary, and so with great thought, he packed a bag for himself before stepping out to his balcony edge. Night was just beginning to fall, and if he stayed on his perch, he would be able to see the dancers start up soon.. or more likely than not, see them fail once again. 

No, he would delay no longer. Muttering a quick spell under his breath, he felt it take affect, his feet lifting off of the stone flooring until they cleared the balcony wall. He tipped forward into the air, feeling a rush of euphoria as the spell pushed him forward through the twilight sky, propelling him out of the City of Light without anyone knowing where he went and why.

Only once he was out of the city did he let his spell falter. He knew that it would be able to propel him further and faster than he could travel on foot, but the magic would take too much energy to hold continuously. Hiking his bag over his shoulder, he set off on foot into the night, determined to reach Redien. Once there, they had to listen to him.

 

Hefting the small hammer in his hand, Seungcheol eyed his handiwork. His sorrel gelding seemed content to bite at the withering grass at his feet instead of at his owner, but the rocky ground didn't allow much to grow that would hold the horse's attention for long. The picket stake that the young guardsman had just finished hammering into the ground would have to do the trick; with his horse's temperament, he wasn't going to hold out any hope of the tether lasting through their

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter