Freedom From Chains

The Seal of Light
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"The Lady falls into slumber as the Light is subdued, and in her sleep, the world of men shall battle." - The Prophecies of Light

 

The city came into view and Seungcheol couldn't have felt more relieved. Throughout the week-long ride, Jeonghan had plied him with question after question, and though he happily shared knowledge in return, the guardsman had to admit that he could hardly understand even half of it.

One of the things he had shared, though, was the fact that he had recognized both Mingyu and Wonwoo as Seals. What was it supposed to mean that he was able to do so in such a short amount of time in which he'd known them? Was it simply because of the immortal's uncanny ability to put two seemingly random hints together and come to a conclusion from them? Or was it for a different, darker reason? Hyesung's warning rang in his mind the entire time they traveled, and so when they trotted down the hill toward Redien, he felt a smile come over his face.

Finally, he would be rid of the immortal, and he would be able to see Dongwan and get answers. He had filed away what knowledge Jeonghan had shared with him, even if he didn't understand it, sure that the Arch-Mage would appreciate it and be able to make heads from tails with it. If only he'd had something to write on, but all he had was the letter that Hyesung had entrusted him with, tucked securely underneath his shirt to keep it away from Jeonghan's prying eyes.

The gates to Redien were open and busy, as always, but as they rode closer, Seungcheol noticed that a soldier in the guard tower pointed at him. He figured he must be quite obvious, what with his horse being well-known in the guard's stables for biting anyone who came within distance, but why they were interested in his return was beyond him. Any hope of Jeonghan missing it passed when the immortal spoke, his voice pitched low for Seungcheol's ears only.

"Is there a reason that the city guard would be keeping an eye out for you?" he asked, genuine curiosity in his tone. Seungcheol shifted his shoulders uncomfortably at the man's close proximity and shook his head.

"No, not that I know of. Maybe Dongwan asked them to, I kind of left in a hurry and without giving him notice."

Jeonghan hummed a small sound that could have meant anything, but when Seungcheol chanced a look over his shoulder, the immortal was staring at the bustle around them, the question forgotten. Seungcheol ducked his head to hide the sudden grin on his face: he knew that Redien could be quite stunning for someone who had never seen it before. It was the shining city of humans, built as a center for power and with many of the towers constructed with magic instead of by hand. Even in the Reaches, at his father's Hold, there were not such stunning things to see.

"It's plainer than I thought it would be," Jeonghan said suddenly, and Seungcheol choked on air. That... wasn't what he had expected. "Our welcoming party," the immortal added, bumping Seungcheol's shoulder with his hand before pointing forward discreetly.

When he looked, there was a contingent of the Tower guards coming toward him, their faces grim. He recognized the older man at their head; he had trained under him for several months before he had been accepted into their ranks.

Drawing his horse to a stop, he helped Jeonghan down with one hand before he, too, dismounted. His horse surprisingly didn't try anything, not even a kick or bite, and he had to smile at the thought that maybe, finally, they were bonding.

The smile was wiped off of his face as the guards surrounded him, all with their hands on their sword hilts. Captain Kyujong stepped up toward him, face grim, and said, "Guardsman Seungcheol, you are under arrest for the murder of Arch-Mage Dongwan."

Jeonghan took two prompt steps away from Seungcheol's side and raised his hands in the air in a pacifying gesture. "I am Lord Jeonghan from the City of Light. I am here to speak with the High Mages and I had no part in this act. I have diplomatic immunity," he added when the Captain seemed reluctant to listen to him.

At that, Kyujong turned and motioned for one of his men to come forward. "Take Lord Jeonghan to the Tower, as our guest," he said, his voice twisting into a sneer at the title given to the immortal. Jeonghan let the insult slide and went along with the guard, leaving Seungcheol standing all alone without even a backward glance.

How easy it was to call him murderer and shake off any association. Seungcheol would have been angry at the beautiful immortal, except that he felt himself oddly devoid of any emotions at the time. His mind simply continued to repeat the words, "the murder of Arch-Mage Dongwan" again and again, and he finally raised his hands in a mimic of Jeonghan's action.

"I am innocent, Kyujong," he said softly, trying to look the older man in the eyes to make him see the truth there. The Captain only glared at him, though, and stepped forward to relieve him of his weapons.

"Take him to the cells," he ordered, stepping back with Seungcheol's sword and belt knife in hand. The guard

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter