Almost Midnight

Take Me Home

"Almost midnight.." Said Moonbyul for the 6th time as Yong Sun asked for time. Her and Hwasa asked every minute and they'll keep asking, for sure.

Wheein is not home yet and everyone is so worried. They called her million times but she never picked up. It would ring till the end then drop and every time it happened the girls would lose their sanity even more.

It was normal for Wheein to be out till now but only when she's with friends or family and she always answers her phone but today was different. She mentioned going shopping before disappearing since 4 in the afternoon. 

Hwasa was sitting on the floor in the far corner of the living room, dead worried about her best friend especially that she has noticed the difference in the way the older girl has been acting lately. The maknae was wearing Wheein's jacket because earlier she felt cold and Wheein took off her jacket so Hwasa wouldn't catch a cold. "Unnie.." She whispered and both looked at her. "Look what I just found in Wheein's pocket.." She held a card in her hand. "This is a car renting card.." Moonbyul said taking the card from Hwasa. "Give me this! Let's call them.." Yong Sun said as she proceeded to type the number on her phone. "Unnie.. it's Almost midnight..No one would pick up.." Silence took over the cold living room.

Something was going through the leader's mind. She remembered how earlier that day when she walked behind Wheein to scare her she caught her dozing off, staring at a picture of what looked like an old inn. The weird part is how Wheein quickly tossed her phone in her pocket when she realized Solar was there.

"Shhh.." She shushed her members as she tried to remember what was written beside the picture, something about national parks.. "BUKHANSAN!" She screamed earning a confused look from the other girls. 

"I know where she is! Stay here and I'll go get her!" She added. "Unnie it's so late you can't go by yourself." Moonbyul tried to stop Yong Sun. "Let me go with you." Hwasa added but Yong Sun dismissed the request as she told Moonbyul to take care of Hwasa who was obviously on the verge of breaking down. Putting on her coat and taking Wheein's, she hurried out of the house. It was pretty cold and Yong Sun was sure that Wheein was not wearing enough clothes when she left earlier. 

She had to take a taxi as she didn't want this problem to get to the company's CEO or anyone else. Giving him the address he exclaimed "Miss, do you realize that it takes at least 40 minutes to get there?" 

"It's emergency. I'll pay anything..please?" The taxi driver hit the road and the young girl's phone rang "Call us every little bit, worrying about one is enough.." Said Hwasa on the other side of the line.

After a long silent ride but a few calls from the two girls waiting at home, Yong Sun was right in front the Inn's entrance. "Thank you" She bowed to the man before he drives off. The place was pretty quiet and creepy but at least it's not dark. Getting in to what looked like the reception an old voice asked "Do you need a room?" 

Yong sun looked to find an old woman behind the counter. She bowed and explained to the woman that she was there to look for a friend who might be staying the night here. "A young girl with honey blond hair?" The woman nodded but said nothing and the younger girl understood that the woman before her can't give out any information. "I will call her.." She said as she fished for her phone. 

   

    To: Jung

         "come to the reception hall, if that's what i can call it!"

    From: Yong Sun

 

The leader didn't even bother sitting down. Instead she looked all over around the place praying that Wheein will finally show up. Minutes passed so heavy and Yong Sun's breath started getting louder until she held it as she heard foot steps that she quickly recognized as her member's. 

"What are you doing here?" Was what Wheein said looking at Solar who was standing in the middle of the hall. The older girl ran towards the kid and put her hands on her shoulders "What the were you thinking? Are you okay?" She asked before pulling her for a hug. "Don't make a scene, follow me.." Jung Wheein pulled away and headed to the room she's staying in as the other girl followed her, sobbing silently..

Once the door was closed Wheein turned around to meet a face washed with tears. "Hey! What's wrong?" She said holding Solar's hand and proceeded to wipe away her tears. "What's happening with you lately?" The leader broke.."I feel like we are drifting apart! Even Hwasa feels the same. You are acting weird and isolating yourself from us! What's happening?" Before getting a response she held her phone and added "We need to call the girls. Hyejin is probably crying right now.." 

"I needed some time.. away.." The younger girl mumbled. "I was going to come home late but it got dark quickly and I didn't want to drive back by myself." 

"You needed time? Tell me what's wrong.." The older girl pleaded and Wheein stayed silent for a bit. "I'm here to take you home..Let's go home. I will drive." Yong Sun said holding Wheein's hand, handing her the coat.

 

Wheein has been feeling lost. Confused with everything happening around her, she decided that it's time for some long drive and maybe somewhere to stay where she could cry for a bit without all the questions. She knew about the inn since once when they were going back to Seoul from an event. Back then everyone were sleeping in the car and she was listening to music, looking out of the window. The inn had a historical vibe and Wheein wanted to give it a try. 

 

Wheein has been feeling lonely. She was surrounded with the people she loves. She was getting success. She was having good time but her heart was heavy. She hid a lot more than she showed. She kept things for herself in order not to mess things up. And not being able to confess what's tiring her heart deepened her loneliness. 

 

Wheein was in love. Forbidden, one sided, painful love. 

Yong Sun started the engine and drove out of the parking lot. Wheein sighed and looked out of the window. They have been in the car for more than 20 minutes and no one of them had said a word. "Tell unnie..what's wrong.." Yong Sun said with a low voice. It was painful to watch this side of Wheein. They've been used to the cheerful, cute and playful Wheein but this side of her, was depressive. 

She heard the young girl next to her mumbling something. She paid closer attention and realized that Wheein was singing. 

 

"All we do is drive
All we do is think about the feelings that we hide
All we do is sit in silence waiting for a sign
Sick and full of pride
All we do is drive"

 

She repeated this verse again and again like a broken record. Yong Sun called her name again but as if she was talking to a wall, she earned no response. She patted Wheein's hair and tried again "Wheein-ssi.." She called sweetly like she would always call Wheein when they play around. The latter looked at her unnie. "Yes?" Her eyes were watery. Solar noticed that and clutched harder on the steering wheel. Stealing glances at Wheein, who was now looking at her, every now and then, she pleaded "Did anyone hurt you? You can talk to me.. trust me.." The older girl took the younger's hand in hers and gave it a little squeeze. 

"They say.. home is where the heart belongs..but lately..my heart doesn't belong somewhere it should.. my home can't be my home.. my home isn't supposed to feel like it is.. lately .. I don't belong.." Wheein broke in tears. Sobs filled the car and Yong Sun starting crying too. She had to pull over to avoid any kind of accident. 

 

Silence again.

 

"Wheeinie.." Whispered Yong sun "Where does you heart belong?"

Wheein didn't answer. "Wheeinie.." Called the other girl again. "Where's your home?"

"Who.." Wheein corrected. "Who? Who is your home?" Yong Sun asked now understanding that Wheein is in love. Her heartbeats racing. Getting more and more nervous as she waited for the younger girl to answer her question. Yong Sun felt like a heavy stone has been put on her chest. She looked at Wheein with curious eyes, waiting for a response that took longer than it should be. 

"Whee.." The older girl got interrupted by Wheein's trembling voice.

"Yo..Yong-Doni.."

"Yes?"

"No..Yong ..Doni is my home.."

 

 

A/N: Inspired by Halsey's Drive. Also Yong-Doni is Yong Sun's fav nickname.