Gratitude

Pure Joy
 

The aroma of freshly cooked pancakes filled the kitchen. Eun Gi was humming a song to herself while preparing breakfast for her little family. She placed the maple syrup-glazed pancakes, fried eggs, bacon, coffee, milk and cut fruits on the table.

And as if on cue, she heard the shrieks and giggles of her children. Maroo entered the dining area with their laughing toddlers in both of his arms. 

"Good morning!" Eun Gi cheerfully greeted while she placed a kiss on her children's cheeks, and of course, on her husband's lips. 

Maroo smiled lovingly at his wife after, "Good morning. It was hard waking them up so I did my last resort."

"And that is?" She questioned with a cunning look.

"The thing that I do with you in some mornings...I tickled them until they gave in. I guess they inherited that trait from you." He winked at her. 

"Eomma!" Chae Woo reached out his arms to Eun Gi wanting to be carried by her. Once in the arms of her mom, Chae Woo rested his head on Eun Gi's chest, his favorite spot. Eun Gi kissed the top of her son's head before setting him on the baby sit while Maroo did the same for Chae mi. 

"Did you sleep well, Chae woo-ah? Chae mi-ya?" The twins responded with their cheeky smiles. At nearly two-years old, they lighten up the house with their laughters, their loud thuds and even their cries.

On weekdays, Maroo was in charge of waking them up and getting them ready for the day while Eun Gi prepares their breakfast. Their roles switch on weekends as Maroo does need to work in the clinic.

The twins are seated between their parents. Chae Mi on Eun Gi's right and Chae Woo on Maroo's left. Maroo wore them their Pororo bibs before he placed the pancakes on each of their little plates. 

"Look babies, eomma made yummy pancakes! I've cut them for you so you can easily use your forks.  You know how to use them now, right?" Maroo handed them their little forks and they carefully picked on a slice of pancake.

Chae Mi smiled and waved her arms after taking a bite of her pancakes. "You like eomma's cooking, my princess? Aww thank you!" Eun Gi placed a long kiss on her daughter's cheek. 

Maroo loved seeing how his wife and daughter resemble each other. Although people would say that the twins took mostly after him, he can't deny that his girls' pout, laughter and even angry stares are so much alike.

Chae Woo, on the other hand, is a mini version of Maroo in every way. His pride swells everytime people would adore his little boy. However, Maroo sometimes feel jealous that his son can openly express his love for Eun Gi. He loves being carried by her mom and he could stay for hours in her arms.

Almost five years into their marriage, Maroo still sometimes neglect express his love openly to Eun Gi. Yes, they would hold hands or he would place his arm around her whenever outside of their house. But he cannot openly kiss or hug her in public, something that Eun Gi would complain to him. Chae Woo, on the other hand, is the opposite. He would take every opportunity just to be in his mother's arms. 

One instance, Maroo cannot seem to tame Chae Woo's cries after rocking and cooing him for almost an hour. The moment Eun Gi came into the room and carried Chae Woo, his cries subsided. 

"How did you do that? I've been rocking him for almost an hour!" Maroo asked in bewilderment. 

"Well, I guess he's just a mommy's boy. Aren't you Chae Woo-ah?" Eun Gi teased while her son clung to her like a koala. 

---

"Do you have plans for this evening?" Maroo simply asked while sipping his coffee. 

"Well, none. It's not like I get to hang out with other people aside from you. Why?" Eun Gi answered while wiping Chae Mi's lips. 

"Right. So how does a romantic dinner outside sound?" His lips formed into a smile. It's been a while since they had their quality time together. 

"Romantic dinner eh? I love the idea. But how about the kids?" 

"No problem. Mrs. Choi could babysit them for a few hours. So, be ready at 7 o'clock?"

Eun Gi giggled, "You're so unpredictable Mr. Kang, you know that right?"

"Why, of course Mrs. Kang. Aren't you used to it by now?" Maroo teased back.

"Alright, quit it now. You'll be late for work! I'll take care of the dishes and the kids."

Maroo finished his breakfast, prepared for work and kissed his family before taking his car keys and white coat. 

"Wait! Your tie isn't properly done." Eun Gi stood from her sit and carefully fixed Maroo's tie. Maroo can't help but smile while watching his wife's focused look. 

"Okay, you're ready." Eun Gi lifted her gaze at Maroo's grin. 

"Thank you" Maroo held both of Eun Gi's cheeks and placed a kiss on her lips. "I can't wait for tonight" he whispered to her ear which Eun Gi reacted by hitting his arm.

---

Eun Gi busied herself with her usual mother duties. Not that she minded. She loved taking care of her twins. After Maroo left, she bathed them and let them play in the nursery. Often times they would watch cartoons together or go to the playground  that Maroo has set up in their backyard. 

Maroo made sure to get in touch with his family during the day. He would call them in between breaks or Eun Gi would send him videos and photos of what their twins were doing. 

Parenthood is something that they are continuously learning on. They plan together everything concerning their twins. They discipline their kids when needed, but after they make sure to affirm the kids and make them understand why they are disciplining them. 

Just after putting the twins to for their afternoon nap Eun Gi's phone rang. She smiled seeing her husband's face on the screen.

"Yes Doctor Kang?" 

"Hello Mrs. Kang, I'm just checking if the kids are asleep." Maroo smiled while looking at their family picture on his table.

"Yes Doctor Kang, you know well that they're already in dreamland at this time. So why are you calling?"

"Right, you caught me there my dear wife. Actually I'd like to check if you still have energy for our date tonight."

"Do I need lots of energy? I thought we're just going out to have dinner." Eun Gi teased back.

" I was just thinking that the twins tired you out so you'll just prefer to stay at home. Not unless you have something else in mind Mrs. Kang." Maroo smirked knowing that he won this time.

"Ya Kang Maroo!" Eun Gi yelled and covered realizing that she might have woken up her kids. 

Maroo laughed on the other line "Oh Seo Eun Gi, I want to hug you right now."

"Well you're not going to get it!"

"Let's just see. So see you later. I love you"

Eun Gi's temper immediately subsided upon hearing Maroo's words but she pretended not to be affected, "Okay, I love you". 

---

Come 7 o'clock, their neighbor, Mrs. Choi arrived to look over the twins. 

"Thank you very much Mrs. Choi. I know  this is a short notice but you still agreed. The kids' milk are just in the fridge, you can heat them a bit if they ask for more. Diapers and wipes are on the counter table. Just give me a call whenever you need anything."

The old woman laughed at the young mother. "Don't worry Eun Gi. I will take care of these. Actually, Maroo already asked me to babysit the twins the other day. Just enjoy your evening together."

"The other day? So he had been planning for this all the while."

"Yes, you're so lucky to have Maroo. He's such a romantic husband and good father to your kids, not to mention good looking!" 

Eun Gi was about to respond when the door revealing no other than Maroo. 

"I'm home! Are you ready to go? Oh, good evening Mrs. Choi. " He bowed to greet the old lady and went beside Eun Gi.

"I see that you're already dressed up. I just gave some reminders to Mrs. Choi before we leave." Maroo nodded. They went to the living room and knelt beside their kids who were busy watching cartoons while drinking their milk. Maroo gently brushed their heads and kissed them. 

"Chae Woo-ya, Chae Mi-ya, be good to Mrs. Choi okay? Eomma and appa will be out for a while." The twins looked at their parents and returned their attention to their milk and cartoons. The couple kissed them once again

"Glad that they are cooperating now. Took them awhile before we could leave them for even an hour. We'll go ahead, have a pleasant evening Mrs. Choi" Maroo bid her goodbye before taking Eun Gi's hand.

During the trip going to the restaurant, both felt very giddy, it's felt like they were going on their first date. Their hands were intertwined the whole time and their smiles were glued on their faces.

"So, it seems that you have been planning this all along. What came up that Mr. Kang is so romantic today?"

"Have I not been romantic all these years? Geez, I thought you already knew me Mrs. Kang!" Maroo pretended to be upset.

"It's not that. I mean, I feel there's something new today. Ottoke? Should I feel nervous?"

"All you need to do is to enjoy my company. You deserve all the attention and love because you've been a good mother to our children." Maroo lifted their entwined hands to place a kiss at the back of Eun Gi's palm. 

They arrived at the restaurant where the couple used to eat when Eun Gi was still pregnant with their twins. Maroo reserved a table where  they could clearly see the panorama of Tongyeong.

"It's been a while since we last visited this place." Eun Gi breathed in the cool evening air. 

"Yes, that's why I thought it'll be good to eat here. I still remember the times when you could eat a whole plate of chili crabs and oysters!"

"Ya, only because I was pregnant with our twins then! I was eating for three you know!" 

"It was a funny sight nonetheless. Time flies so fast, don't you think so? Our kids are already two years old!"

Eun Gi sighed, "Yeah, they're growing up so fast. Sooner or later they'll be able to talk straight, then go to school, then meet new people. Oh my, my babies."

Maroo reached out for Eun Gi's hand on the table. "And I have to thank you for constantly taking care of them. I know that having two kids is double the hard work, but you're doing it very well."

"You're not bad yourself, Maroo. Just look at how much they adore you. When they grow up I'm sure they'll still have high respect to you. I won't be surprised if one of them would want to be a doctor like you."

"Let's just say that we make a good team." 

"We certainly do." They exchanged loving gazes before starting with their meal.

The couple spent the rest of the evening exchanging stories about their kids, their daily encounters and everything under the sun. Who would have thought that they started out as enemies, and now they are living simply as husband and wife?

"I'm full, that was a great meal! Thank you for bringing me here Maroo-ya." Eun Gi happily said while patting her stomach.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it. So, where's my prize?"

"What prize?"

"For bringing you here and feeding you"

Eun Gi winced and pretended to be annoyed "Geez, if I only had known I would just stay at home with the twins. Okay, so what do you want?"

Maroo leaned over the table and smirked, "You already know what I want, Mrs. Kang"

In an instant, Eun Gi's face blushed and she coughed.

Maroo laughed lightly, "I didn't know that I still have that effect on you my dear wife. So, shall we go?"

"You're really sneak, you know that right, Mr. Kang?"

"Why of course, that's why you love me!" 

----

The couple entered their house and found Mrs. Choi slowly rocking the twin's shared crib in the living room.

"Oh you're back. They have just gone to sleep a few minutes ago. An hour after you left they started crying."

"Aigoo, I'm so sorry for the hassle Mrs. Choi." Eun Gi immediately went beside the crib to check on her babies.

"No worries. I'm used to these things, I have three children remember?"

"Thank you so much Mrs. Choi. Guess I have to have a serious talk with my kids so I can take their mother outside more frequently." Maroo placed a hand on Eun Gi's shoulder. 

The old lady left the couple with their sleeping twins. Maroo carefully carried Chae Woo to the nursery followed by Eun Gi carrying Chae Mi. Once settled in the crib that the twins share, Maroo opened the baby monitor and the lamp. The couple kissed them goodnight before retreating to their room. 

After doing their nightly routine, Maroo positioned himself on his side of the bed and started reading a medical book. Eun Gi just finished applying her facial moisturizer and went beside her husband. 

"Tired?" Maroo closed his book and wrapped an arm around his wife. Eun Gi yawned and snuggled in Maroo's side. 

"How disappointing. I was expecting to receive my prize tonight." 

"Too bad for you Dr. Kang, your wife is already tired after taking care of your twins. Let's sleep!" Eun Gi grinned and buried her face in the crook of Maroo's neck. 

Maroo sighed in defeat and turned off the lamp. The moment the darkness filled the room, Eun Gi giggled and moved on top of her husband. 

"What are you doing?" Maroo bewilderingly asked.

"Couldn't a wife thank her husband for a romantic evening?" Eun Gi teasingly answered while playing with the hem of Maroo's shirt. 

"Now you're talking!" Maroo smirked and turned their positions, now he's on top of Eun Gi. He slowly leaned his face near his wife's until their noses touched.

"I love you, Seo Eun Gi"

"I love you, Kang Maroo"

And they kissed. 

~~~~

Hello!!! 

Long time no see, dear readers!  I hope you're still there though :) 

A lot happened these past months, and it's when I realized that writing is a good way to relax.

Special shoutout to MethaAlanaSailormoon for updating her FF. As promised, here's mine :)  I love imagining our favorite couple enjoy a simple life with their kids. They deserve it anyway :)

Even after 4 years EunMa/Chaeki's chemistry still burns in our hearts. Let's support their new projects and continue to hope that they reunite one day! :D

Please do leave your thoughts! :)