Another Year

Pure Joy

Eun Gi's sleepy fluttered as the sun hit her face. She rolled on her back to place an arm on her husband's form, but to her dismay, he was not there. She yawned, stretched and checked the time on clock placed above their bedside table. 

It was 6:30 in the morning, perhaps Maroo had to attend to an emergency at the clinic. She was thinking of what to prepare for6 breakfast for her nearly two-year old twins when she heard small thuds from the hallway. In a matter of seconds, two small heads emerged from the open door and were now at the foot of their bed. 

"Eomma! eomma!" The twins cheerfully called on Eun Gi as they struggled to climb the bed. 

"Woah, you're up so early! What's up my babies? Did you sleep well?" Eun Gi picked up Chae Woo and Chae Woo and placed a kiss on their chubby cheeks. The twins wrapped their arms around their mother and clung like koalas. 

"Eomma, sarang" Chae Woo uttered. They have just started to speak, and day-by-day it seems that they are learning to form sentences. 

"Aw, me too Chae Woo-ah, eomma loves you so much!" 

"Eomma! Chae Mi! Chae Mi too!" her little girl protested, which made Eun Gi chuckle. 

"Of course eomma loves Chae Mi soooo much too!" She pinched Chae Mi's chubby cheeks and showered her with kisses. 

Eun Gi loves motherhood so much and she cannot imagine her life otherwise. If she had not met Maroo all those years ago, she might have just turned into a selfish chaebol. Who knows? She might have entered into a fixed marriage with no love involved at all. Nevertheless, she is very thankful that fate made its way to bring them together.

"How about appa? Does eomma love him too?" Eun Gi turned her head to see her husband on the door, wearing his boyish smile and carrying a tray of breakfast consisting of pancakes, egg, bacon, jam, juice and something covered in a box. 

Maroo placed the tray on the bedside table and greeted Eun Gi with a loving kiss. 

"Of course, I love you very much too." Eun Gi answered after breaking from the kiss. 

"That's a relief" Maroo chuckled and sat on the bed facing his little family. He took Chae Woo and Chae Mi from Eun Gi and placed them on his lap. 

"I thought you went to the clinic. The twins are up early too. Is there any special occasion today that I do not know? " 

"Omo, eomma doesn't know what day is it today?" Maroo turned to their babies and whispered something to their small ears. Eun Gi was so curious because they were holding their laughter.

"Okay, let's do like what we practiced. One, two, three!" And in unison, the three sang:

 Saengil chukahamnida 

Saengil chukahamnida  

Saranghaneun eomma Eun Gi 

Saengil chukahamnida  

By the time the song ended Eun Gi was already shedding tears of joy. 

"Give eomma a big hug and kiss!" The twins dived into Eun Gi's welcoming arms and gave their birthday kisses. Maroo then opened the box from the tray and revealed a birthday cake for his beloved wife. He lit a small candle and presented it to Eun Gi, where she read the dedication:

Happy birthday to the best mom and wife in the world!

We love you! 

Chae Woo, Chae Mi and Maroo

"Eomma, blow cake!" Chae Woo pointed at the candle. 

"Eomma needs to make a wish first, Chae Woo-ah" Maroo explained.

Eun Gi then closed her eyes to make a wish and blew on the candle. The twins cheered and started picking on the cake.  

"Don't eat too much chocolate, okay?" Maroo brushed his son's hair.

"Thank you for this surprise, Maroo-ya. I did not really remember that it's my birthday, aging problems perhaps."

"You're most welcome. Regardless of your age, you'll always be the most beautiful woman to me."

"Oh my, it's really my special day, you are not teasing me! How I wish it's my birthday everyday."

"Yes, enjoy it while you can!" 

They laughed together while their twins enjoy their eomma's cake. The Kang family spent the rest of the morning playing and cuddling on their bed. They would not exchange anything in the world for these simple but joyful moments. In a few years, their children might play with them anymore, but they will make sure that their family bonding won't be sacrificed, and that it will always come first. 

"Thank you" Eun Gi whispered to Maroo as she rested her head on his shoulder.

"We are just getting started, my dear. We'll make sure that you'll have a memorable day ahead". Maroo lovingly said as he pulled Eun Gi closer and stealing a kiss from her while their children played.

~~~~

Here's another chapter!

I should have uploaded this last week during Chae Won's birthday but I was too busy to do so.

I always wanted to imagine the small happy family of EunMa, and this is only of those happy moments.

Special shout out to chingu MethaAlanaSailormoon because she updated her NG FF and I was inspired to make mine too (less the heartbreak haha).

What do you think will be Maroo's surprise for Eun Gi? :D