Toxic Potions

Born To Serve (The Sliver Mistress)

  Four days had passed and Esther was getting better.
She no longer charged at the door, she started eating, her face was filling out. She looked vaguely like herself again, and that seemed to calm her down.

Everyday he sat outside her door listening to her thoughts, making sure she okay. For a while he worried she wouldn't return to the woman he admired. Her thoughts were scrambled and angry.

On the fourth day her thoughts were silent, her room was still.  I matter how closely he listened he couldn't hear anything.

He debated whether or not he should burst in and check on her but decided that this was surely a trap. The last time he tried to come to her rescue, she jumped him. He wouldn't be falling for that again. Another thing was she needed to revert herself, he couldn't do anything but calm her down. She would have so this all by herself just as he did.

Soran would be on his way to the manor by night fall. Junhong had to promise that he would buy wormtails from Lillian, In return for his services. Soran wasn't cheap.

Junhong was weak from lack of feeding, staying put was more tiring than anything. He was on constant alert for anything strange that might of occured.

It was a slow day, he didn't expect much to happen so he dosed off only to be awoken by one of the house keepers, Haja a middle aged halfling woman.

Drowsy from hunger and poor sleeping habits, Junhong attempted to dismiss her but she insisted what she had to say was important.

 By the look in her eyes he could tell she was right.

Haja poured him a warm cup of tea, showing off her hospitality skills to her higher up but he was too irritated to appreciate it.

"What's so important, that we needed to talk in the maid's quarters?"

Haja stirred but relaxed as she joined him at the table with her own cup of tea.

"Master has gotten some news about Esther. He's disturbed and demands answers" Haja looked him straight in the eyes.

"What has he heard"

"That Esther has become feral"

"How did he find out?"

"Not sure, but he's not pleased with you"

Junhong squeezed his nose in frustration, it was like one thing after another.

"I'm not sure what to do" he openly admitted 

Haja placed her hand on his shoulder, "surely Soran can fix her?"

*

"I'm a sage not a bloody miracle worker!" Soran gutted his coat off.

"Can you at least suppress her?"

"With what?  Me good looks? I can bind her but she has to work it for herself"

"She's too powerful for a bind"

Soran rolled his eyes and dropped his leather kit on marble side table.

"You've grown far too attached to her. Maybe it's time for a change in careers."

Junhong looked away, he didn't have the luxury of going back to his childhood village. He was a orphan who got sold to a master as soon he developed talents. His bid went up when a rumor of his ability to necromance got around.

 That's how he became respected, everyone thought he was a reincarnation. Whether it was true or not was beyond his funding. Both his parents were dead.

"The ink on my papers have long been dried. You know I can't. I serve this family until I'm released or I die"

"So a another thousands years. Lovely" Soran muttered

 Junhong sighed, he unlocked the door to Esther's room. He wanted to get this over with already. He already had to go back to Lillian's cottage sometime tomorrow.  A trip he dreaded, being near her imprint was stressful.

~*~

He couldn't stand still, he had so much on his mind. Esther was stubbornly rejecting the binding, her father was wise to what was going on and was on his way. Christoff was not a of patience, when he wanted something done he expected it done to the letter.

 Though it was mighty irritating that he wanted HIS daughter, the woman whom would inherit his title and fortune to be ignorant about her bloodline.. unless.

Junhong sat next to Soran, who was looking for a powerful binding spell.

"What do you know of Master Bellthrone?" Junhong whispered

"He's in the pocket of the current Minster." Soran was uninterested 

"I mean if his family or master"

"Bellthrone is a Millenia old, I'm only 200 years old. I don't know much of his family outside of what I been told. Filthy rich and greedy. Was friends with the Pope"

"A Millenia? Are serious? That's pretty young"

Soran looked at him with bored eyes and shrugged "He could be a halfie like yourself"

It suddenly dawned on Junhong, maybe her father was hiding their bloodline because they were halflings. It made more sense for Master Bellthrone to be too ashamed to educate his offspring.

 How could bye be so powerful without serving a master of his own like most Halflings. Something  wasn't adding up.

Junhong stood , bringing Soran's eyes back to him. "What's up?"

"Something feels off, I can't explain it but I need to -"

His sentence halted , something had fallen to the floor down stairs. Without hesitation Junhong aperated to the first floor.

There stood Master Bellthrone, face purple with rage as he threw off his side coat Angrily to the house keeper.

"You! How did you manage to mess up a single thing. How hard is it to raise a child?" Bellthrone pointed his cane at Junhong.

"I gave you education, finery and house to serve and this how you betray me." His jaw line tensed up "I knew I should of left you to die in that blasted Orphanage, but no I was much too charitable."

Junhong rolled his eyes at the not hidden brag. The man was far to Narcissistic To consider this behavior Commonly.

"Where is Esther?" He pushed aside Junhong but he dug in his feet into the well made floors. Leaving scuff marks.

Bellthrone whipped around , looking at the floor in disgust.

"You ruin my home as well." Bellthrone raised his canes hand in a threatening manner. Waiting for Junhong to scurry away as he did as a child, but he didn't even flinch.

Bellthrone snarls in anger at the lack of cowardicec, no one has stood up to him in years. He wasn't about to let a mere dirty halfling start now.

"You bloody ingrate!" He yells as he slashed at Junhong, only to miss, hitting nothing 

 Shocked and a bit thrown off he looks to his right to find Junhong smirking smugly. In utter frustration Bellthrone repeats his attack again and again, Junhong back flipping out the way each time.

It was becoming a game to Junhong, as he began to trick out his avoiding maneuvers, laughing as Master Bellthrone started breaking a sweat.

"What do you have to gain by defying me Junhong?" He asked. Severely out of breath. "Your home us with me, I've done so much for you, all I asked in return is you turn my daughter into a woman. A easy task my boy. But a last you allow her to turn feral. A mere animal. What have I done to deserve this?"

"Oh the drama" a voice came the stairs.

Esther stood bare foot on the highest railing, watching them in amusement. Her curls neat and long floating elegantly around her. She was dressed poshly in a Scarlet Flowing dress. She was a vision big her former self but her eyes set the tone. Violet and bright of a feral queen.

"What are you doing out of bed?" Junhong shouted. He did not just spar with her father just so she could make a theatrical entrance.

She said nothing, she didn't have too. Her eyes told him to stop talking. Bringing shivers down his spine.

She chuckled warmly, echoed filling the empty manor. She jumped off the railing, falling whilst laughing like a mad woman. Bellthrone and Junhong exchange brief looks and ran towards the falling woman. Surely the feral process was spreading. Hoping to catch her in time...

Their chivalry was unwelcome , as she righted herself and sent the two men flying across the floor. Landing on their feet of course.

"What's all this child" her father shouted.

Esther smiled "Oh dear father I missed your neglect so" her voice rich and warm.
she crossed the floor to walk over to Junhong. Her smile grew wide but shy.

"Thank you." She cupped his face and brushed her lips against his prickly cheek. "I wish I could repay the loyalty, you showed me. You never forgot me"

"Esther!" Master Bellthrone gasped in confusion.

Ignoring her father, Esther grabs Junhong's hand. "We owe Soran's pharmacist a visit"

She pulls him along to the door, her father shouting behind them. Before closing the door Junhong looks back, eyes glowing orange whilst sporting a cocky smile.

He could of let it like that but Junhong was petty and needed the last word. He casted a binding spell on his former master.

~*~

  They wore hoods that belonged to Soran to throw off their unique scents. Unsure how the nephliem would respond to feral beings. If the underworld was as bonding as the stories say. The dead should leave them be, but you could never be too careful.

Junhong took the lead, escorting Esther to the hidden cottage.Oddly nothing seems to stirring around them as they traveled. He wasn't sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing.

 It could be that Eshter's new scent kept the dead af bay.

"What a peculiar place. Who would willingly choose to live here?"

"Lillian" Junhong muttered. 

As they got closer to the cottage he could feel the raw burn of Lillian's imprint, it wouldn't be a surprise if she knew he was near.

"Who is Lillian? What is she to you?"  

Junhong could hear the tightness in her voice, he ran his hand through his sliver hair. Now was not the time to get jealous, but he liked the idea that someone as haughty and privilege as Esther Bellthrone would be jealous.

"She's a old friend, don't worry she's engaged"

"I don't care about that" she lied, secretly she was relieved.

      As soon as their feet touched the wooden porch steps, the door flew open. Lillian launched herself at Junhong, hugging him tight but only for a second. Lillian's skin became unpleasantly hot. 

At first she thought Soran has zapped her but the burn returned again, when she tried to grab his hand. He was rejecting her.

"How is that possible?" Lillian muttered to herself as she stated at her hands.

"We come on business"  Junhong  said flatly

"Oh" Lillian's face fell as she continued to look at her hand.

Lillian invited the pair in, the person she assumed was Soran kept up their good, but she got a glimpse of what looked like red shiny lips.

She followed the hooded figure and  spotted expensive looking red bottomed heels.

"Esther" Lillian spat quietly

 The woman in the hood , turned back and dropped her hood. Smiling as calmly as she could mange. "You must be Lillian"  offering her hand to the irritated Lillian.

"I am." Lillian walked passed her and went to stand next Junhong.

Lillian pulled on Junhong's coat, bringing him deeper into her den. She tried her darnest to keep from sounding hurt. She was willing to admit that she had no right to be feeling hurt but he did not have to bring That WOMAN into HER home. 

"What's she doing here?" She demanded "I thought she was badly damaged from before"

"She's fine now" he tired to make it sound convincing but Lillian caught the tone change.

She attempted to cup his face but pulled back quickly when the heat got too much. She still couldn't believe he was rejecting her.

"What about you, are you okay. You changed, I wasn't sure if you gonna revert. Halflings don't usually go feral" 

"That's not why I'm here" he tried to change the topic.

He wasn't in the mood to rehash what happened earlier in the cave.

"Right, what did you need?" She said a bit sadly.

"Wormstail and butterfly wings" 

"For Soran no?"

"Yes, I'm repaying him for his help binding Esther"

Her eyes widened "Soran binded her!" Lillian looked at Esther in horror. "Why would he do that"

"Is that bad?"

"Only if it wasn't strong enough, that would explain the wormtail and wings" she looked at her ingredient cabinet.

She threw open the doors and grabbed three jars, two large and one small vial. She shoved them into Junhong's hands and sighed.

"Tell Soran he needs to brew the wings separately.. and to be careful. If done wrong it could be dangerous"

"Thanks Lil"

Junhong bumped her shoulder in comradery, just as Esther grew impatient eavesdropping on them.

It was like they forgot she was even there , what was worst was Lillian seem to glow in his presence. 

"If your quite done being inhospitable I'd like to leave before morning sun. Beside I'm hungry" she purposely let her newly developed fangs slip over her perfect red lips.

When Junhong joined Esther, she made a point to wrap her arms around his shoulders, kissing his cheek so miss Lillian could see.
Vapor covering the couple as they faded from her living room.

Poor Lillian's heart wet at the sight of Junhong smiling with happiness as he faded with her.

She couldn't stop herself from wishing Esther was still comatose, at least Lillian could still be his side. 

Even if it was under false pretenses.

Boots clamoring down the stairs brought Lillian back to earth. Kailer looked around the living room "I thought heard voices. Did we have guess babe?"

"No it was just Soran." She lied.

"Ah" crossing the room, he pulled Lillian into his arms only for her to push away.

"I have to finish my potions. I'm going into the market later" another lie passed her lips.

"I'll come with. Call me when your ready, I'll be in the shop"

As Lillian pretends to listen she runs her palm over a black candle, Manipulating the flame to show her what she couldn't see.

Death. She couldn't help but feel a tiny bit cheerful. Someone was going to die..and she hoped it was Mistress Esther.