Sixth Chapter

The Angel's Strength
Please log in to read the full chapter

Kangin woke up early the next morning. He went out to the town to buy some groceries and look for another part-time job besides helping his aunt out back in the sweet shop.

He went over to Heechul's, but he wasn't in. He tried Yesung's house, but he wasn't in either. He turned around to go to see Ryeowook when the boy came out of his house before Kangin could knock on the door.

" Oh! Kangin hyung! ", he greeted, surprised by the elder's sudden appearance.

" Hi, Wookie! ", answered Kangin.  " Where are you going so early in the morning? "

" I'm off to Sweet Tooth Delights. ", replied Ryeowook.  " It's a new café that Heechul hyung had opened recently. I'm working there full-time as the chef. "

" Funny. I've never heard of it. ", said Kangin confusedly.

" Well, that's because Heechul hyung opened it up yesterday pretty late. I told him that maybe he should open it today, but he didn't listen, being the Kim Heechul he is. ", sighed Ryeowook as he shook his head.

" Yeah. That's Heechul hyung for you. ", agreed Kangin.

" Well, I've gotta go to work now or hyung will kill me. ", said Ryeowook as he looked at his watch.  " I'll see you later then, hyung? "

" Sure. ", smiled Kangin.  " See ya! "

" Bye! ", Ryeowook called back and ran off.

Kangin walked off, looking for a job. Then, he met an old man sitting by a small stream in his shack carving something out of sticks. He walked over and greeted the man.

" Annyeong, ahjusshi. ", said Kangin.

" Hello, boy. ", smiled the old man as he lifted his head up from his carving.

" What are you doing? ", asked Kangin, out of curiousity.

" I'm carving toys and small instruments for children. "

Kangin looked at the various articales of toys and instruments until his eyes caught sight of an elegantly carved flute.

" I'll buy this flute from you. ", smiled Kangin.

" Thank you, boy. ", thanked the old man.  " Take it. It's just 100 won. "

Kangin paid the man and walked off. As he walked off, he fiddled with the flute in his fingers. He had learnt how to play the flute years ago, but he gave up after a while.

He put the instrument to his lips and blew a high-pitched note, sweet and clear. Birds flew gracefully out of the trees and settled on the rooftops at this foreign, yet gentle, sound.

Kangin looked at the birds in amazement and confusion. How can one single note attract a single horde of birds?

He played a few more notes, attracting people out of their homes. Then, he raised his flute to his lips and played a song...

[ Listen to this while reading: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJa_Q4TKMBY. It is someone playing Super Junior's Miracle by flute. Just pretend that the person playing it is Kangin, okay? ]

Kangin's audience was spellbound with every note he hit. The notes hit perfection at the right time and pitch.

As he played the flute, the birds swirled around him and the crowd. But Kangin kept playing with closed eyes even though the sudden flight of feathers startled him. He didn't want to break the spell.

Kangin felt his feet moving by themselves in a direction. He opened his eyes and found himself walking to the field where he and his friends normally played.

When he sat down by the river and continued to play, the birds perched near him or on his shoulders. Fish poked their heads out of the lake to listen and the wind blew softly and gently like as if it wanted to hear the flute's music too and not its own howling for once.

Kangin continued to play, but he didn't notice someone sneaking up from behind him. When he finished playing the music, a pair of arms wrapped him in a hug, startling him and scaring away the birds and the fish.

Kangin turned around hesitantly and saw Leeteuk grinning goofily behind him.

" Yah, hyung, don't scare me like that! ", complained Kangin.  " I thought you were some crazy erted creep! "

" Sorry. ", replied Leeteuk sheepishly.  " I couldn't resist it. I was in a playful mood. "

" And, hyung, don't hug me! It's so gay! ", whined Kangin, although he secretly liked the hug.

" But if it's so gay, then why do you like it? ", asked Leeteuk.

" Holy ! Did you just read my mind?! ", said Kangin in shock.

" Ne. ", answered Leeteuk.  " It's a talent. "

" Don't use it on me. It freaks me out. ", said Kangin.  " Hyung, aren't you supposed to be at a meeting with the Kingdom's Board of Education? "

" Ne, but it's in an hour's time at least. So I have time to chill for a while with you. ", said Leeteuk as he sat next to Kangin.

They sat there, quiet and not knowing what to speak about. Then, Leeteuk turned to Kangin.

" Hey, dongsaeng, you've heard about our Kingdom's Annual Moonlit Magic Festival next week, right? ", asked Leeteuk.

" Ne. ", said Kangin.

" Well, we're looking for one more musician, a flute player particularly, for a small band. So, I was wondering if you are interested in helping out. ", asked Leeteuk.

Kangin thought for a while and then nodded.

" Sure. I think I can do it. ", he said.

" Daebak! ", exclaimed Leeteuk happily.  " Gomawo, dongsaeng! "

" Gwenchana. ", smiled Kangin.

" Well, I must be off for the meeting now. ", said Leeteuk as he stood up.  " Better to be be early. "

" Arasso. ", said Kangin.  " Bye, Leeteuk-ah! "

" Bye, dongsaeng! And call me hyung! ", said Leeteuk.

" I'm too lazy to now! ", smirked Kangin cheekily.

" Whatever! ", laughed Leeteuk and went off.

Kangin then went off to help his aunt in the sweet shop, but when he got there, there was a pretty female helping her out. He approached his aunt and greeted her and the new girl.

" Oh, Kangin-ah, this is Jessica, our newest helper. Jessica-ah, this is Kangin, my nephew. ", said his aunt.

" Annyeonghaseyo. Jessica imnida. It's nice to meet you, Kangin-sshi. Your aunt has told me many good things about you. ", smiled Jessica politely.

" Jinja? Well, it's nice to meet you too, Jessica-ah. ", smiled Kangin.

" Kangin, may I call you oppa? ", asked Jessica.

" Sure. ", smiled Kangin.

Jessica squealed in delight. When she had go

Please log in to read the full chapter