Third Chapter

The Angel's Strength
Please log in to read the full chapter

Kangin found himself in the town. But this time, the whole town was filled with bright lights. Happiness and gaiety filled the air. The sound of music made their way into his ears. Everyone was happy. The full moon hung in the sky and glowed with the stars twinkling by its side.

But suddenly, the sky became dark with grey clouds hanging overhead. Thunder rumbled across the town and lightning flashed in the sky.

Everything turned into immediate chaos. People started panicking, fear could be sensed in the air and everything seemed to collapse.

Kangin ran, but he fell flat on his face. People stepped on him in their blind fear to run away from something, but what?

He felt his body numb, something cool trickled from his mouth and his vision blurred a little.

What was happening?

He called out for Leeteuk. For some mysterious reason, his name came to his mind first.

A strong hand pulled him up to save him from getting trampled in the rush of fear.

Leeteuk.

" Leeteuk hyung... ", he gasped.

" C'mon, we gotta get away! ", said Leeteuk as he pulled Kangin up.

" Where? ", coughed Kangin weakly.

Leeteuk grasped Kangin's hand and dragged him through the crowd.

" It doesn't matter where. We just have to get away-- "

A piece of wood hurled towards them knocked Leeteuk on the back of his head, stopping him in mid-sentence.

" Aaaah! ", screamed Leeteuk as he out.

" Hyung! ", said Kangin as he kneeled beside the unconscious elder.

A sudden pain in his left shoulder made him cry out in pain. He fell beside his hyung. Holding his injured shoulder, he withdrew his hand.

Blood.

He looked at his attacker.

A man, his face obscured by the shadows of his cloak except for his mouth, held a bloodied knife that was dripping with blood at the sharp edge.

The figure raised his knife and brought it down on him...

 

 

" Aaaaaaah! Mommy! ", screamed Kangin as he jerked himself up.

He looked around. He was still in his room.

" Kangin-ah~? ", said a voice.

Kangin turned his head to the direction of the voice. His mother came up the stairs and looked at her son worriedly.

" Kangin-ah, sweetie, what's wrong? ", asked his mother as she sat by his side.

" I had a bad dream... ", cried Kangin.

His mother pulled him into her lap and patted his back as she sang softly to him. Kangin's sniffles died down.

" There, there, honey. It's only a dream, arasso? Everything's alright. ", comforted his mother softly.

Kangin dried his eyes and hugged his mother tight.

" Mummy, can you stay with me till I fall asleep, please? ", asked Kangin.

" Sure, sweetie. ", smiled his mother in response.

Kangin lay down and closed his eyes and drifted off to Dreamland. When he had fallen fast asleep, his mother stood up and went back to her room.

 

*******

 

The dawn came. Kangin awoke. He looked out of the thatched wooden window of his cottage and watched the sun rise in its full blazing glory.

Smiling, he tiptoed out of bed so as not to wake his mother from her sleep. He grabbed his tattered shawl and snuck out of the house with the shawl over his head.

With cat-like agility, he tiptoed past his mother's room, down the creaky wooden stairs and to the door.

He creaked the door open and quietly shut it. Then, he ran barefooted into the cold, empty streets. He ran to the field for fresh air.

He stopped near the old apple tree and sat underneath it to catch his breath.

Just then, something hit Kangin on the head. Kangin rubbed his head and looked up from the tree.

Nothing.

He looked down on the ground.

A round, red thing sat near the foot of the tree.

An apple.

Kangin his lips as he reached for the fruit. But another hand touched his. Kangin looked up only to come face to face with a familiar someone

Please log in to read the full chapter