PHARMACAMP

LS THE SERIES: #EARNPETEFOREVER

“i told you not to bother yuri…i will protect my friends from someone like you,” said Earn.

“what about me? am i not your friend?,” Pete responded. 

“a true friend will not choose a girl over his friend,” Earn says back, tersely, coming closer to Pete.:

“a true friend will not even make this a choice, ” Pete says, looking Earn in the eye just as tersely, coming closer as well.

“what is she to you anyway?” Earn asked.

“how’s that any of your business? is she your girlfriend? last i checked. you never even had a girlfriend. oh yeah that’s right, she’s noh’s girlfriend. was. he dumped her. haven’t you heard from your friend? she’s free.” Pete says sarcastically.

“Fine. we’re done” Earn says.

“Finally you said it. we haven’t been friends in a long time earn.  this entire conversation just proves you don’t consider me a friend. all you care about is noh, never mind the fact that he didn’t pick you” Pete says.

earn’s temper starts to rise. his brows furrow. he takes a swing at Pete but Pete dodges. Earn maybe stronger and bigger, but Pete is more nimble. Pete  gives Earn a mean right hook and earn stumbles to the ground.

“f_ck you!” Earn says.

Pete replies, “f_ck yourself. oh wait you already have. you have been chasing after a guy who has no feelings for you beyond friendship and with whom you have zero chemistry. you don’t even respect his choice. yes i know. you didn’t have to say anything to me since you already practically came out to the entire school with all the chasing you’be been doing. you don’t think anyone noticed? so don’t lecture me about friendship. don’t even attempt to make me the bad guy here because you’re the bad guy here. This isn’t even about Yuri. you wouldn’t even notice if it was another girl. no, this is about noh, for whom you will give up everything including your own friends. oh wait you’re too focused on how you feel you don’t even consider people around you. this friendship is over earn. i’m done. “ Pete says as he walks away.

 

That conversation was still fresh on pete’s mind as he looks out the window during the train ride from pharmacamp back to Bangkok. on one hand he’s relieved it’ over. on the other, he feels sad that this friendship is over. it’s been a long time coming really. 7 years of friendship down the drain because of Noh. it’s not really his fault though.  Earn just got too obssessed with him. who would have thought right? to think Pete was the one who introduced them years ago.

 

Earn and Pete were just 8 years old when they met. Earn’s family had just moved into the city, and he just got into this school where he knew no one. it was by chance that Pete and earn even became close. on his first day, Earn was bullied by some kids and got into a fight. earn’s always ben the hotheaded fighter. he fought back the kids who were much bigger. naturally that didn't end well. Earn was on his way to the clinic when he literally bumped into Pete.

 

“what happened?

“long story. can you tell me where the clinic is?”

“i’ll bring you there. youre new here right? i havent seen you here before.”

“yeah. so much for my first day. I’m earn”

“pete.”

 

taking Earn’s arm over his shoulders, Pete brings earn to the clinic.

 

“thanks.”

“see you around. try not get into trouble.”

 

a while later, Pete is in class. Earn, enters the room and introduces himself to the teacher. Pete and Earn spot each other from afar.

 

noticing his bruises, the teachers asks, “ what happened to you?”

“I stepped on a banana peel and slipped on the stairs. pete brought me to clinic earlier.”

suspicious, teachers asks Pete, “is this true?” Pete’s one of the top students of his batch. while shy and low profile, Pete enjoys the trust of his classmates and teachers.”

Pete says tentatively, “ yes…” 

teacher turns to earn, “be careful next time. well since you already know Pete, better sit next to him. that’s the only vacant chair left in this class. guess it was meant for you.” the teacher winks.

limping, earn makes his way to the vacant chair next to Pete. earn winks at Pete. Pete smiles back.

that was the beginning of a beautiful friendship, one that  would span 7 years. 7 years of afternoons, evenings, weekends spent at each other’s homes, the mall, camping, field trips, going around the city.  as time passed by the grew fond of each other as they saw they complimented each other. shy and reserved Pete came out of his shell and socialized more because of earn who wa athletic and the life of the party. Earn was passionate about his hobbies—foremost of which was music. he and Pete took music class one summer and enjoyed it so much they set up a band with their friends just for fun. they’d cover for each other when they needed to.