The more you go backwards

Rewind

A/N: Hello new subbers and thank you so much muffler for your comment! I hope my fic doesn't disappoint as their memories unfold.

Sunmi recalls the first time she gets to be alone with Taeyeon. She’s young and innocent and incredibly shy and somehow her group mates managed to arrange a lunch between her and SNSD’s leader. Yubin and Sunye insisted that it was Taeyeon’s idea in the first place, especially after hearing about Sunmi’s interest at her radio show. She can’t believe it, seeing as she’s so ordinary compared to Taeyeon. But Yeeun and Sohee disputed this fact, reminding her that not only was she a Wonder Girl, but very special on her own and to never forget that.

Whatever the truth was, either way, it’s marked as one of the happiest days of her life.

“Sunmi, you look fine,” Sohee calls out from her spot on the couch. She’s rolling her eyes at her best friend, but she’s smiling, eating up how much she’s glowing. She was a little skeptical at Taeyeon’s sudden request and the giddiness of her unnies, but now she can’t wait until Sunmi gets back so she can hear all the juicy details.

Sunmi’s pacing back and forth in the living room of her dorm as her group mates watch her with an amused expression on their faces. For once, without being prompted by an early schedule, Sunmi had gotten up early to get ready for her little date with Taeyeon. Sunye almost cried with pride when Sunmi had walked out of her room to eat breakfast without Yeeun having to go in and fetch her.

“Fine isn’t good enough,” she huffs, stopping in her tracks to cross her arms, “I need to look amazing, perfect even!” She looks down at the outfit she had picked out with Sohee and runs her fingers through her hair. This was okay, right? She glances over at her best friend who is still rolling her eyes and sighing.

“Aww, how cute,” Sunye coos, clasping her hands together in excitement, “Our baby girl is so nervous to be going on her first date!”

“Not just any first date,” Yubin adds on, her face donning the most suspicious looking smirk. “But a first date with her precious Kim Taeyeon!”

Yeeun wipes fake tears from her face as she pulls Sunmi down from her sulking position into her lap. “You kids grow up way too fast, you know? I’ll be sure to remind Taeyeon to bring you back safely and on time before our schedule tonight.”

“Oh, I’ll call her and remind her right now,” Sunye says before quickly getting up to fetch her cell phone.

“I’m not a child!!” Sunmi exclaims in annoyance as Yeeun wraps her arms around her waist and Yubin pinches her cheeks. “And I especially can’t be seen as a child to Taeyeon unnie.”

“She doesn’t see you as a child, don’t worry,” Sohee comments as she joins the assault on Sunmi, gently her hair. “Because if she did, that’d be kind of creepy.”

“Hey, there’s only a three year difference between them,” Yubin growls, not wanting to feel old again by her dongsaengs.  

---

Sunmi doesn’t forget the second she steps into the booth, or well tumbles into the booth as she loses her footing the second she sees Taeyeon peeking at her from behind her menu. She somehow felt incredulous at the possibility of the two meeting up for lunch, expecting Yubin or Sohee to be behind that menu, only to tell her that the whole thing was a set up. But instead is hanging open and her leg is a little sore from bumping awkwardly into the booth seat. That embarrassing hit just had to reassure her that this was definitely all very much real.

“Hey Sunmi,” Taeyeon greets with a giggle before offering her hand, “Need a little help?”

Sunmi scrambles into a proper seating position, straightening her back as she bravely grabs her menu to cover her face, “Nope, I’m totally fine, thank you.” All her words come out in a rush and she’s thankful for the beautiful giant menu covering her pink hued face.

When Taeyeon doesn’t respond, Sunmi hesitantly looks up from behind her menu to see the other girl staring at her with a raised brow.

“You know, I think it’s only right that I get to see your face this time,” she laughs, placing a hand on her chin, “I mean, this is our first date, right?” Taeyeon gives Sunmi one of the most awkward and dorkiest winks of her life and it instantly makes Sunmi laugh. She drops her menu but she’s covering now with her hands.

“You have a really cute laugh, you know?” Taeyeon comments as if adding fuel to the fire.

Sunmi’s fanning herself now and although her hands are away from her face and so is her menu, her hair acts as another line of defense, hiding about 50% of her face.

“Come on,” Taeyeon whines this time before inching closer to the younger girl, “No more hiding, please?” She takes the chance to brush Sunmi’s hair away from her face, tucking all the loose strands behind her ear. Taeyeon knows that she’s just feeling shy, but they won’t get anywhere if she doesn’t do something.

“S-So this is a date?” Sunmi finally finds the courage to ask, that is, after Taeyeon’s successfully moved back into her place and is a safer distance away.

“I’m sorry I didn’t ask you directly,” Taeyeon says with an apologetic smile, “The idea kind of popped up suddenly so the message had to be relayed.”

That’s when Sunmi’s shoulders slump, “Oh, so unnies really were the ones who convinced you to do this?” She knew it was too good to be true.

But Taeyeon shakes her head immediately after, waving her hands in protest, “Oh no, no. They just told me that you were really shy and that’s why you didn’t really talk to me. Asking you on a date was all my idea, I promise.” She initially didn’t really think of it as a date per se, she was just really curious about Sunmi. But seeing how things have turned out, Taeyeon would most definitely count this as a sort of almost first date.

After a few more awkward exchanges, Sunmi finally finds herself relaxing around Taeyeon. The older girl was as kind, sweet, and funny as she perceived her to be from afar, from shows, from interviews, from her interactions with her older group mates. She had gone out of her way to make sure the lunch went smoothly and soon Sunmi found herself talking so much that she barely noticed how much time had passed.

“I promised Sunye I’d get you back by 5,” Taeyeon says apologetically with a tilt of her head, “So I’m afraid we’re going to have to end this date pretty soon.” There’s genuine regret in her voice and Taeyeon is almost whining, but she holds herself back, trying to look as cool as possible in front of the other girl.

“What?! It’s already almost 5?” Sunmi asks incredulously, her hands scrambling to find her phone. She ignores the massive onslaught of texts from her members and looks directly at the time. It was 4:45.

“Time really passes by when you’re having fun,” Taeyeon chuckles as she gets up from her spot, “This definitely was a day off well spent.”

“Oh, today was your day off?” Sunmi asks, not even thinking until now about what Taeyeon’s schedule was like and what kind of sacrifices she might have made just to see her. “Shouldn’t you have spent it catching up on your sleep or something more important than me?”

Taeyeon shakes her head before bringing a finger to Sunmi’s chin, “Don’t say that. You were definitely worth taking out for lunch. I had a lot of fun, Sunmi-yah and I can’t wait until we can do this again.”

Her finger tickles against her chin and Sunmi feels almost like she’s under a spell. She wants more of Taeyeon’s touch, but she knows it’s too early so she tries her best to hold back. But then Taeyeon’s grabbing her hand and leading her to her car and she’s speechless once more. But the older girl doesn’t mind and she just smiles at her, squeezing her hand.

---

And she never forgets exchanging numbers while parked outside of her dorm. She never forgets the trembling in her hands as she typed out her number into Taeyeon’s phone and she never forgets the cheekiness she had as she added a heart at the end of her name.

“Taengoo? I can call you that now?” Sunmi asks with wide eyes, the amazement clear on her face. She wasn’t sure if she was seeing things. She had stared at the screen of her phone for too long but got distracted by Taeyeon’s erupting laughter.

“Taengoo, Taeng, whatever you want,” she replies with a wide smile, “Let’s be friendly with each other, okay? No formalities, unless we happen to be on a show together again.”

Sunmi nods happily, the smile on her face bigger than the one on Taeyeon’s. It’s everything she’s wanted, everything she’s hoped for all in one day and she’s wondering what exactly she did to deserve this.

Suddenly it’s quiet and Sunmi looks up from her phone to see Taeyeon gazing at her, almost staring at her.

“Is there something on my face?” Sunmi asks with a frown before touching her face for anything foreign.

But Taeyeon doesn’t respond, her smile not going away. Instead, she leans forward, catching Sunmi off guard.

And she never forgets the first time lips press against her skin. It’s only her forehead, but it’s unexpected and it doesn’t fail to make her blush every time she recalls the very moment.

“I’ll see you later,” Taeyeon waves goodbye from her car before driving away. And Sunmi has to make sure that Taeyeon is completely out of sight before jumping up and down and screaming, trying her very best to release all of the feelings that were building up inside her.

As soon as she’s done she slaps her cheeks, her smile unwavering and her body feeling like it’s on fire. She nods to herself before turning towards the building, excited to run for the next hour as she explains to her members the amazing first date she had.

And since then they are texting each other every day despite both of their busy schedules. Taeyeon’s only able to reply a few times a day but that’s all Sunmi needs to keep her heart afloat and her spirits high.