Is it too late?

Rewind

A/N: Hey everyone! I've been really inspired by Reboot. The entire album is flawless and it's been on repeat for a while now. The titles of these chapters may seem a little familiar ehehehe. It makes me sad how little Taemi fic there is online!! I hope to change that with this account and I hope I can inspire you guys to contribute as well! Anyway, enjoy the first part and please leave a comment as well!

Wonder Girls finally have their comeback after a three year hiatus. Sunmi is officially added back to the lineup and she’s more than excited to be promoting again with her sisters, to be performing again as a unit. She feels more fulfilled to come back this time around, more like herself. She easily shows her happiness in interviews and even 4D Sunmi is back since she’s much more relaxed, much more comfortable in a group. She’s tired and her bones are aching from all of the relentless practice, but she’s genuinely happy.

Two weeks into their promotions, old rivals make their comeback. But this doesn’t mean trouble for the Wonder Girls, in fact, a reunion in the dressing room expresses how ecstatic the girls are to see their friends from Girls’ Generation again.

Yubin is busy practicing her drums in the air while Sunmi and Lim are relaxing on the couch. Yeeun is putting the finishing touches to her make-up and is the closest to the door when there comes a loud knocking. Somehow the beat sounds familiar and that’s when Yeeun smiles a wide smile that threatens to rip open.

The girls were just talking earlier in the van ride over about SNSD’s comeback. They had enjoyed the contrast of the double singles and easily found themselves singing along to the catchy choruses and laughed about the timing of their comebacks. It would be nice, they thought, for them to see each other again. It’d be like the old days, although rare their meetups were because of their schedules. They had kept in contact in other ways, a text here and there, a call or two, even small get togethers. Some members saw each other more than others; that was all a secret to the public however.

Whoever is knocking is attempting to play out the entire chorus of I Feel You. It’s flattering and sloppy and hilarious all at once and the girls are laughing when they make the realization after Yeeun. The girl doesn’t hesitate for another second and opens the door only to be knocked over by a number of bodies.

The dressing room becomes a jungle as the girls run around hugging each other in excitement. It’s much too loud for the make-up and hair unnies, but they smile fondly at the scene before them.

“JYP!” Sooyoung yells at the top of her lungs, striking a pose.

“And the Wonder Girls!!” Hyoyeon and Seohyun call out in unison as they tackle Yubin into the nearby wall.

“We’re back,” Yubin laughs as she takes in the affection from her old friends.

Lim and Sunmi instantly get up from their spot on the couch as they accept the numerous embraces from the older girls. They’re a lot shyer than Yeeun and Yubin but equally as happy. Sunmi gets separated from Lim as she’s pulled into a conversation with SNSD’s maknae and suddenly she’s unsure of what to do next. Her eyes are looking for a certain someone and her heart is beating so fast, does she want to look like she’s so desperate to see her?

Even after growing up and maturing into the woman she is today, one thing about Sunmi refuses to change. And that’s her undeniable adoration of one, Kim Taeyeon.

They have a long history that only they can properly recall. But the members of her group know that the young girl still follows the woman very closely. Sunmi watched every performance, every interview, every variety show and appearance. In fact she has the albums as well, never finding the courage to ask for a signature. After what they’ve been through Sunmi had lacked the courage to even face Taeyeon, let alone ask for an autograph for her CDs and maybe a little bit of conversation. She’s trembling slightly, she knew this was bound to happen with their comebacks aligning. But she didn’t expect it so soon.

It felt so surreal to have the woman in front of her again. It was like some sort of dream, the kind of dream she wished would stop happening only because it made her miss her more. But she’s speechless now and incredibly happy, and she’s trying so hard not to cry.

Yubin smirks as she pushes Sunmi in a certain direction, whispering something into her ear that causes her to blush. Sunmi makes eye contact with SNSD’s leader and the two smile at each other. She’s overwhelmed and it doesn’t help that Taeyeon looks absolutely stunning. Sunmi had enjoyed both of SNSD’s new videos, knowing that the girls had put out all the stops on their visuals. She wondered how Taeyeon thought about her new look. Did she notice how much she’s matured? Did she like her hair? The way she wore her make-up?

But all of that doesn’t matter anymore because Sunmi is feeling shy and Taeyeon just laughs and pulls her into a hug. The younger girl can feel her entire body heat up and suddenly the room isn’t noisy and filled with the energy of long lost friends. Suddenly, it’s just her and her first…

“It’s been too long,” Taeyeon almost whispers, her breath tickling against Sunmi’s ear.

“Yeah,” Sunmi mumbles, her arms finally finding the will to move and wrap themselves around the older girl. “I’m sorry about that.”

It was her fault, mostly her fault, that things had come to this. A train wreck, is how she’d describe the end to their past relationship. So much had happened and it was easy to recall, far too easy. There were so many times when she wished that she could take some of it back, have a redo, to have that second chance.

“I’m sorry too,” Taeyeon replies sincerely, “Life is full of complications, isn’t it?”

Sunmi can only nod now, tears finally bursting from her eyes. She’s sobbing and she’s trembling but Taeyeon doesn’t let go. She didn’t expect Taeyeon to apologize as well and she’s relieved that the girl wasn’t ignoring her or acting like things were completely different, even though they were. They had barely spoken over the past few years and Sunmi only had blame for herself.

The two finally separate from their embrace and Sunmi looks around, glad that the other girls were occupied with each other, somehow knowing that they needed their privacy. She wipes her eyes, hoping that she didn’t ruin her make-up at all. Taeyeon lifts her hand and gently wipes away a few more stray tears, her eyes filled with concern.

“Are you…free tonight?” she asks, slightly pink in the cheeks and Sunmi can’t seem to breathe again. Taeyeon seems shy as well despite her skin ship, and memories of the past fill her mind. Memories of a loving Taeyeon, an overly affectionate Taeyeon, a Taeyeon who, despite her inability to properly express herself all the time, tried so hard for Sunmi. 

“Yeah,” Sunmi replies almost breathlessly, relieved that they didn’t have a radio schedule that night. It’s convenient, almost too convenient and she wants to pinch her skin, wondering if she’s dreaming.

“We have a lot to talk about,” Taeyeon laughs as she Sunmi’s cheek affectionately before tucking her hair behind her ear.

Sunmi feels like it’s six, seven years ago all over again and her heart is fluttering, threatening to leave her chest.

“Girls, we’re on in ten minutes!” Tiffany calls out, interrupting their moment and Taeyeon turns around instantly to nod at her best friend.

“I don’t know if your number has changed since…” she looks away for a second and lets out a sigh, but a smile comes after and that’s all Sunmi needs. “Anyway, this is mine. Text me and we’ll arrange a time and place, okay?”

Sunmi nods, not willing to move and she gets one last hug before all the girls rush out of the room, screaming their goodbyes and wishing them luck.

And when Seohyun shuts the door behind her, all eyes are on her and Sunmi’s glad that all her tears were gone by then. She smiles at them, reassuring them that all is well.

“What happened?” Yubin is the first to ask, holding onto Sunmi’s arms and rubbing them in an attempt to sooth her. She’s not visibly trembling anymore, but her unnie knows that that moment was overwhelming for her.

Yeeun places a hand on her shoulder, her fingers gently caressing the exposed skin and Lim hugs her from behind. The girls wait patiently for Sunmi’s response, everyone trying to hide the fact that they’re dying to know about the words that were exchanged.

“She wants to meet up later tonight,” Sunmi manages to say, her voice showing hesitation and excitement all at once. She’s relieved knowing that they’re not going to be performing for another twenty minutes, giving her the time she needs to catch her breath.

The girls are silent after, knowing that there isn’t much to say at that point. The topic of Taeyeon was sensitive and has been for a long time now. Sunmi had never taken the time to fully explain what happened between the two. They were curious but cautious, knowing that she would open up when the time was right.

All they knew was that Sunmi was on cloud nine the moment their relationship started. It had blossomed beautifully albeit a little quickly, almost like their rise in fame as the Wonder Girls. And almost as quickly, things fell apart.