Chapter 39 - Have you been happy, Ji Hyo?

The biggest secret

“I have to follow them.” – GD says, seeing Ji Hyo and Jong Kook leaving the building.

“I am going with you.” – Taeyang utters.

“At least bring sunglasses and masks with you. You don’t want people to recognize.” – T.O.P said, handing GD and Taeyang the sunglasses and masks.

“Thank you, hyung.” – GD says and quickly follows Ji Hyo and Joong Ki, who are waiting for the car.

GD and Taeyang hides behind a big flower vase to make sure Ji Hyo and Joong Ki can’t see them. Lucky for them that the security guards are not around or they will definitely get arrested for being suspicious.

“I will drive.” – Joong Ki tells his chauffer.

“Yes sir.” – The chauffer bows 90 degree at Joong Ki and hands he the key.

“Let’s go” – Joong Ki nicely opens the door for Ji Hyo to step in.

“Yah. I never can stand his gentleman attitude. So fake” – GD tell Taeyang, hated.

 “I know. I never like him in the first place.” – Taeyang declares.

“Let’s go. Let’s go.” – GD rushes Taeyang as Joong Ki’s car took off.

GD and Taeyang quickly get into a taxi – “Follow the Bentley in front of us please.” – GD tells the driver.

“Doesn’t it feel familiar to you?” – Taeyang asks GD

“What do you mean?” – GD asks.

“Didn’t we do the same thing 7 years ago? Following them?” – Taeyang asks

“You are right” – GD laughs.

 “Why do we always have to sneakily follow him?” – Taeyang jokes.

“That’s why he is our worst rival. “ – GD states, irritated

“But don’t you think we looked like ajjumas in the drama followed their cheated husbands?” – Taeyang comments

“Don’t say stupid thing. We are too cool to be those ajjuma and my wife will never cheat on me.” – GD scowls

“So why are you following them then?” – Taeyang asks

“I trust my wife but I don’t trust that guy.” – GD says, serious tone.

Their taxi stops in front of a luxury Italian restaurant where Ji Hyo just got out the car with Joong Ki.

“Let’s go” – GD rushes

“No, wait a little bit. Let them go inside and sit first or they will see us.” – Taeyang says

GD looks at Taeyang in admire – “Wow, you are good bro.” – GD compliments

“Now you can’t laugh at me for watching too much FBI shows anymore, can you?” – Taeyang smirks, satisfied.

They sit inside the car, 5 minutes not even past but GD’s leg can’t stop moving – “It’s time, let’s go bro.” – GD says, quickly gets out of the taxi before Taeyang can stop him.

GD and Taeyang quickly walk to the restaurant with their sunglasses and masks on which of course catches the restaurant’s security attention.

“How can I help you gentlemen?” – A security guy stops their way.

“We need a table.” – GD rushes, his eyes wonders around until spots Ji Hyo and Joong Ki sitting by the window.

“I am sorry but I am afraid that we don’t have any available table.” – The guard firmly says

“There are plenty of tables, what are you talking about?” – Taeyang asks, frustrated.

 “Gentlemen, please get out of here when we are still polite.”

GD is getting frustrated, takes off his mask. “I am GD of Big Bang. Do you really want to kick me out?”

“I am sorry sir.” – The guard immediately bows down – “The hostess will be right with you.”

“No need, we will choose our table. Please make sure no one know we are here” – GD demands then walks quickly to a table in a corner, making sure Ji Hyo and Joong Ki can’t see them.

Meanwhile, at Ji Hyo and Joong Ki table,

“Bistecca Fiorentina as always? – Joong Ki asks Ji Hyo.

She nods with smile. –“Is there anything that you don’t remember?”

“Nothing about you that I forget. I tried, but I can’t.” – Joong Ki says, smiles sweetly.

Ji Hyo doesn’t know how to response. She keeps quiet and smiles.

“Two Bistecca Fiorentina please. Also a bottle of 1986 Bordeux please.” – Joong Ki tells the waitress.

“Come right away sir.” – The waitress takes their order and leaves

“You know 1986 produced a lot of good thing, wine is one of them and you are a good example.” – Joong Ki says, looking lovingly at Ji Hyo

Ji Hyo is touched by Joong Ki’s words but on the other end of the restaurant, someone’s head is about to explode. That person of course is GD. He can’t hear what Joong Ki and Ji Hyo are talking about but he is super irritated seeing the way Joong Ki looking and smiling at Ji Hyo. It is not at all different than 7 years ago. From a man point of view, GD can clearly tell that guy is still in love with his wife.

“Calm down man.” – Taeyang says as anger clearly visible on GD’s face.

“Do you even see the way he looks at her?” – GD asks, irritated.

“I saw that but I’m sure it is nothing. He knows you two are married.” – Taeyang counseled

“It better be nothing.” – GD bites his teeth.

   As the food brought out to the table, Joong Ki takes Ji Hyo’s dish to his side and cuts it to small pieces.

“I can do it by myself.” – Ji Hyo softly says.

“I know you can but I can’t let you do it. Let me be a gentle man, can’t you?” – Joong Ki gently says while cutting Ji Hyo’s meat.

At GD’s table, Taeyang follows Joong Ki’s action with admire.

“This guy really knows how to be a gentle man. I need to take note man.” – Taeyang chuckles.

GD stares at Taeyang with irritation and smacks him on the head. – “Are you seriously complimenting my rival?”

“Ouch, it hurts man.” – Taeyang scowls.

Back to Ji Hyo’s table,

“I hope the pieces are small enough.” – Joong Ki says, putting the dish back to Ji Hyo.

“It is perfect. Thank you.” – Ji Hyo smiles, softly.

“Cheer?” – Joong Ki raises his glass of red wine.

“Cheer.” – Ji Hyo clinks her glass to Joong Ki’s.

“Are you happy Ji Hyo?” – Joong Ki asks, looking deeply at Ji Hyo’s eyes.

She inhales a deep breath, puts her glass down to the table for a moment. She is trying to short through her head to figure out whether she is happy or not. She is marrying with the man she loves. That man definitely loves her even though he is barely with her. He doesn’t do anything wrong to her. Then she should be happy but then she doesn’t really feel happy, rather misery instead, living in that big fancy house all by herself. Can a person be happy and misery at the same time. She isn’t sure but to answer Joong Ki’s question, she says – “Yeah, I am.” – and curls her lips softly.

“Really?”  - Joong Ki asks as he recognizes a sad moment in Ji Hyo’s eyes.

She nods and smiles gently at him. – “So when did you get back to Korea?” – She asks, trying to change the subject.

“Just a few months ago.”

“Really? Where had you been after graduating?”

“I manage a branch of my father’s company on the States after graduating until a few months ago he asked me to come back and take over the CEO chair of SBS. So here I am.”

“I am sorry Miss, but can I have your autograph.” – The waitress asks Song Ji Hyo, interrupting their conversation.

“Oh Sure” – Ji Hyo politely says and gives the waitress the autograph.

“You look even better in person unnie. You are the inspiration for young girl like me.” – That girl says with envy.

“Thank you very much.”

“Your boyfriend is very handsome. You two look great together.” – The waitress compliments   

  “Oh no. We are just friend.” – Ji Hyo immediately explains.

“It would be nice if she is my girlfriend. Unfortunately, it is not easy.” – Joong Ki says, grins lightly at Ji Hyo.

“That is a shame. You two will make a good couple. Oh well. Thank you again unnie, please enjoy your meal.” – The waitress says and walks away.

“Wow, you are really popular.” – Joong Ki envies.

“Oh it is nothing. I don’t know why people pay too much attention to me. I don’t want any of that.”

“Because you are pretty and smart and successful. You are one of a kind Ji Hyo.”

“I prefer a quiet life. You know that.” – JI Hyo says, low voice.

“Yeah I know, that’s why I was very surprise to see how popular you are when I got back to Korea. I think you are as popular as your husband.” – Joong Ki smiles.

“Yeah my husband loves the fame but not me. I wish I can run away from it but it’s too late now I guess.” – Ji Hyo smiles, sadly.

“Ji Hyo ah, you know that if you ever feel sad or lonely, you always can call me right? I am always here for you if you need a company.” – He gently offers.

“Thank you Joong Ki.” – She answers, softly – “Anyway, enough about me. Are you going to approve our product?” – Ji Hyo asks.

“Hm. No wonder you are a successful business woman. Business is always first, isn’t it?” – Joong Ki teases.

“I have to live up to my name right?” – JI Hyo jokes.

Joong Ki laughs. “Sure, I took precious time of Miss CEO so I have to at least approve the project or she will never see me again.”

“You get the point.” – Ji Hyo smiles brightly.

From the other corner of that fancy restaurant, a man is speechless, looking at his wife laughing brightly with another man. He realizes that his wife hasn’t been smiling that brightly for a long time. He never does anything to make her happy after they come back to Korea. He never even takes her out for a proper lunch in public. They always have to hide from others while he is officially her husband. He’s supposed to sit on that chair, across from her but instead he is hiding in this corner, like a stalker. His throat somehow feels bitter. He is not mad at her for laughing happily with another man; rather, he is mad at himself for forgetting to make her laugh that happily. He has been relying on her too much on maintaining their marriage. He almost forgets that relationship is supposed to be built and kept by both party. If one person keeps on giving and another keeps on taking, eventually, the giver will be very tired, very misery …