Chapter 24 - Her graduation - His proposal

The biggest secret

One month passed fast, Ji Hyo graduation day finally approached. GD had been very absent lately. He came home late and didn’t spend as much time with Ji Hyo as he did before. He normally waited in front of Ji Hyo classrooms after her classes so they could hang out together before the next classes start but he hadn’t done it for a week.

Ji Hyo started feeling down. She sensed that he had been hiding something from her. She just couldn’t figure out what it was. She was very irritated by that fact. She wondered if it was because she was leaving America soon. She predicted he would be upset but she didn’t expect it would affect their relationship that much. It was the first time since they started dating, she felt insecure. She was still in the U.S but the situation was already that bad, she didn’t want to imagine how worse it could get when they were separate for a year.

There were nights that he didn’t call to let her know that he was going to be late. She cooked the whole meal and ended up sat at home alone and waited for him. She even felt at sleep on the dining table while waiting for him sometimes. He always came home with sweat all over his body. When she confronted him, he always said he played basketball with his friends. It never made any sense to her why he played basketball until midnight.

He came home late again last night and today was her graduation day. He ran out of the house when she was making breakfast.

“Where are you going?” – She stopped him before he could make it to the door.

“I … I have somewhere to go” – He spluttered.

“Why don’t you eat breakfast first?” – She frowned.

“I’m already late. I will just grab something quick outside.” – He rushed putting on his shoes.

“You are going to my graduation right?” – She asked.

“Of course I will.” – He smiled.

“Don’t be late”

“I won’t” – He said then ran out the door.

She sighed, putting the breakfast in the container boxes and placed it the refrigeration. She didn’t feel like eating any more. She thought that he would accompany her to this special occasion but …

 She was disappointed.

 Graduation in America was very big deal. Family and friends of graduators would fly in from all over the places to celebrate with their loved ones. Ji Hyo family couldn’t afford to buy the tickets to attend her graduation. She already predicted that and didn’t expect much from them. She appeased herself that at least GD and Taeyang would be with her on such an important occasion. She was even giving the speech on the ceremony. Now she wasn’t even sure if either of them would attend her ceremony.

She felt down, gloomily walked to her room and took out the cap and gown that he ordered for her two weeks ago. She stood in front of the mirror, looking at herself in the black cap and gown. Her mood got a little bit brighter. All her hard work finally paid off. Since she was in elementary school, while the other kids were playing hide and seek, she was inside her room and studied. When she was in high school, while her classmates were enjoying their first love, she locked herself in the library and studied hard.  She had worked very hard for today, the day that her name would be honored by the most famous Ivy League University in the world, the day she would bring home the honor Master Degree.

She looked at herself in the mirror the last time, fixed her cap and gown. She was very proud, of herself.

The ceremony started. Ji Hyo looked all over the auditorium but GD and Taeyang were nowhere to be found. She was disappointed. The ceremony was full of cheer from student’s families and friends but only her felt lonely. No one was there to cheer for her. She thought she got used to loneliness but turned out she didn’t.

 GD came to her life and chased away the isolation that she had. She almost forgot how lonely felt like when she was with him. Now, that feeling came back, and it was more terrible than ever. Throughout the entire ceremony, was tied up to a knot. If she wasn’t strong enough, she probably was crying.

It was her turn of giving speech. Only two students per school year were honored to give speech on the graduation day. They normally had to be best at study or super at school activities. Ji Hyo was chosen because she had highest school achievement in her class. It was such a great honor but she felt blue as she still couldn’t find GD anywhere.

She finished the speech, it was great and touching. People gave her big applause but she felt empty. Even a thousand applauses to her wouldn’t mean anything if GD wasn’t one of them.

All the students did their walks, got their diplomas and took picture. They were all happy. She tried to smile on the picture too but it didn’t work so well.

Ji Hyo was getting her stuff and about to leave as she thought the ceremony was over but the Dean stopped everybody from leaving.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, this year we have a special performance. Please take a little extra time to enjoy the performance. Thank you.” – The dean said and the light inside the auditorium suddenly turned dark.

The red curtains pulled up, and soft central light revealed GD sitting next to the piano. Ji Hyo was surprised realizing that her boyfriend was sitting on the stage.

 “What is he doing there?” – She asked herself.

“Hello lady, and gentleman” – GD spoke through the microphone. “Sorry for interrupting your ceremony but I would like to borrow a little bit time of this important day to sing a song for my special lady. Song Ji Hyo, this song is for you. Please listen to the lyrics carefully. This is all I want to say to you, the love of my life” – He looked at her direction and winked.

The beautiful piano melody was on putting the whole auditorium in silence. He started singing.

The song title is “The love of my life” (A/N: You can listen to the song with this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7hOYFqLpSE)

I am amazed
When I look at you
I see you smiling back at me
It's like all my dreams come true
I am afraid
If i lost you girl
I'd fall through the cracks
And lose me track in this crazy lonely world Sometimes it's so hard to believe
When the nights can be so long
And gave me the strength
And kept me holding on

Chorus
You are the love of my life
And I'm so glad you found me
You are the love of my life
Baby put your arms around me
I guess this is how it feels
When you finally find something real
My angel in the night
You are my love
The love of my life

Now here you are
With midnight closing in
You take my hand as our shadows dance
With moonlight on your skin

I look in your eyes
I'm lost inside your kiss
I think if I’d never met you
About all the things I’d missed

sometimes it's so hard to believe
when a love can be so strong
and faith gave me the strength
and kept me holding on

You are the love of my life
And I'm so glad you found me
You are the love of my life
Baby put your arms around me
I guess this is how it feels
When you finally find something real
My angel in the night
You are my love
The love of my life”

Her tears couldn’t help pouring out as she listened to his singing. His voice was beautiful, the piano was perfect, and the lyrics were very touching. It was like a love letter that wrote just for her. Everybody looked at her with envy. She covered and nose with her hands to hide how emotional she was at that moment.

The song ended. The light turned off again. It was very dark but she could feel people around her were moving. She heard the sound of the chairs got dragged away too. She was panic, didn’t know what to do.

The music was on again. It was a lively song. The title of the song was “I’m all yours.”

The light turned back on, and in front of her, all her schoolmates, still in cap and gown, were doing flash mob with the song. They danced as couple. Taeyang and his new girlfriend were dancing too. She knew the dance was for her because all the dancers’ attention was giving to her. As the song reached its , everybody ripped off their gowns and threw their caps away, revealing the undershirts inside which were white T-shirts with the huge with picture of Ji Hyo and GD imprinted on the front.

Ji Hyo was in gasp, her eyes kept opening wide as she looked at people dancing fascinatedly in front of her. Now she understood the reason GD had been absent lately. He must have been working hard for this performance.

Since the day Ji Hyo informed him about the graduation, he knew he had to do something. It took him a week to plan out what to do. He consistently visited the Dean office for a whole week to convince him letting he do the performance. The Dean wasn’t happy with it at first but seeing how sincere he was, the Dean finally gave in.

 He then looked for all her classmates that would graduate the same day with her and asked them for help. He patiently begged them one by one to support his idea. It wasn’t easy to convince all of them to do practice almost every day for the last two weeks to create the perfect flash mob as Ji Hyo watching at that moment. Since they all had different schedule, GD had to convince them to practice late at night so everybody could perform as a team. That was the reason he had been home late lately. He knew she was upset but he couldn’t tell her the truth. It was a surprise that he hoped she would love.

As the song about to end, the performers lined up to 2 lines right next to each other, one line was all males and one line was all females. Each of them gave her a rose then part to two sides. The last couple was Taeyang and his girlfriend.

Taeyang stood there longer than he should be. He should give her the rose right when the previous couple left but he hesitated. Because he knew what was coming. He had been practicing hard with GD the last 2 weeks too. He couldn’t say no when his best friend asked him for help but his heart really didn’t want to do it at all. He putted a smile on his face and looking at her, but his heart sunk down low. His girlfriend had to pull his arm hard to remind him of what he was supposed to do. He took a deep breath, gave her the rose and mouthing “You are beautiful” then parted aside as other couples.

As Taeyang and his girlfriend parted aside, GD was revealed. He was in his tailor fit tuxedo, black jacket white vest, and white bow tie. His hair spiked back shiny. He walked toward her with the most gorgeous smile. She looked at him and fell in love with him all over again. He was very handsome, like a real prince charming.

 As he was in front of her, he looked at her deeply, lovingly. He took a deep breath and knelt down on one knee. From his dress pants pocket, he took out a black box, as the box opened, not only Ji Hyo but the whole audiences were in gasp looking at the beautiful ring. The main stone was a huge beautiful red Ruby which was surrounded my magnificent smaller clear cut diamonds. It was the most beautiful rings that any girl would wish for.

“Yeobo, I am kneeing in front of you, so I guess you already figured out what I am doing. People normally propose with diamond ring but diamond is not special enough for a girl like you. They said that Ruby symbolized the sun. Legends claimed that its glowing hue would shine through even the thickest clothing and could not be hidden, if it was cast into water, it would cause water to boil, and if it pressed into wax, it would melt the wax. Don’t you think Ruby is very similar to you? Even when you tried to cover yourself with ice and darkness, you still shine brightly like a sun, and even though you had to go through so much hardship, you always defeated it. I don’t know what I did to deserve a wonderful girl like you but please stand by my side. Please accept this silly, lazy, and goofy man to be with you for the rest of your life. Life may be tough when you are with me, but I promise to cherish you, love you, and protect you for the rest of my life. So Song Ji Hyo, will you marry me?” – He said, looking up at her, eyes full of expectation.

Tears was already falling down on her cheek. She had never been more touched. He did all that for her. The whole performance to make sure she was the most special girl in the world. She couldn’t ask for more from a man. She already knew that he would be the last man of her life and she wouldn’t change her mind. Before meeting him, she thought that career would be the most important thing in her life. She wanted to settle a good position first before thinking about relationship. But he changed all her mindset. There were no more rules or plan when it came to him. At that moment, there was no more doubt.

“Yes, of course yes.” She happily said, offering her hand for him to put the ring on.

“Really? Great.” – He squealed happily and quickly slid the ring on her finger as he afraid that she would change her mind if he was a minute slower. He hugged her and gave her a passionate kiss on her lips. She normally didn’t like public displace of affection but she made an exception that day. She responded to his kiss with passion.

 The whole auditorium screamed and whistled to congratulate them. Only one man was broken inside but for his best friend, he putted on the brightest smile. “Congratulations you two.” - Taeyang whispered.