Trembling

EXO SERIES: Lu Han's Little Love Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

---

>>HYE YEONG'S POV<<

I didn't know what went wrong between us or why Go Sang Mi ever contacted me in the first place, but we were clearly talking at cross purposes. How often did I have to tell her there was nothing going on between Lu Han and I? It's a lie but honestly I think I was very clear. Even if I told her the truth, she wouldn't leave me alone and lying was my only option. But well, instead of listening to me, Sang Mi drew her own story and conclusion.

As soon as we left the building and stood outside, I felt the difference in temperature. I haven't realised how warm it was inside until Byung Jin opened the door and the cold breeze met my whole body. It's freezing. How nice would it be if I sat at home with Min Young or at the coffee shop with Jung Ah and Eun Chae? I crossed my arms to keep myself warm. I noticed that Byung Jin was considering giving me his jacket but what would he wear then? Perhaps he already knew I'd refuse.

We stayed silent for a while before Byung Jin approached his questions. "Relationship troubles?"

I furrowed my eyebrows and turned to him. "Seriously, why does everyone assume I have something going on with Lu Han?"

Byung Jin started laughing but I didn't think it was funny at all. I'd rather believe Byung Jin saying we had something going on than Sang Mi because Byung Jin actually knew Lu Han was kind of interested. "I didn't say it's about Lu Han, though. You've seemed unhappy since earlier and even before Sang Mi came."

"If I seemed unhappy, it's neither because of Lu Han nor because of any relationship troubles. We aren't even close. I don't have any time to date in the midst of study, work and training. We happen to have a mutual friend."

Byung Jin nodded his head slowly and I saw his smile despite the late hour. The stores and businesses were open and the streets were brightly lit. "If I hadn't stopped Sang Mi, what would've you done instead? I knew she can be scary, that's what I told you before she called to meet you last year, remember?"

"Vaguely. What do you think? If Sang Mi had really slapped me, I would've wiped that ugly smile off her face, of course." I responded, looking behind me through the glass windows. Spotting Sang Mi among the trainees and seeing her laugh, I figured she might be talking about me. "I guess I'll be the talk of the week? Rumours spread quickly."

"It'll get better after another week." Byung Jin assured me, probably talking from experience but I couldn't imagine any negative rumours spreading about him. He was an ordinary trainee, always following the rules and being polite. I don't know how Byung Jin was like before I arrived, though. "And if most of them know the real you, they won't believe her."

I hope you are right. Silence fell again but I saw through Byung Jin. There were unsaid words he wanted to voice and he likely waited for the right moment.

"You might not have any relationship troubles, but I believe you are unhappy about someone or something." Heo Byung Jin turned his body towards me and I figured he either meant Sang Mi or Lu Han. "Love isn't supposed to make you sad. I can make you happy, I will if you give me the chance."

And here came the confession I've expected since last year but hoped it'd never come. Even though I caught on his feelings somehow, I didn't know why or how it happened, and I've hoped Byung Jin moved on ever since his departure from the company. "Byung Jin, I don't return those feelings." Let's better not say I love someone else.

"I know that and yet I couldn't help falling for you." Byung Jin's voice was serious and he appeared completely different from his usual easy-going self. Though I was curious as to how Byung Jin came to like me, it wasn't right to ask because it wouldn't change anything about my feelings. "Just to let you know."

Honestly, I felt honoured and flattered to have two handsome men confess their feelings to me. Byung Jin knew I never reciprocated his feelings. "You say you can make me happy, but you are not the one who can do that at the moment." I wasn't the type to turn someone down harshly and break off the friendship immediately, but I've actually never received a love confession before Lu Han either. Not giving him any hope and being as honest as possible.

"I can wait. I've waited for almost two years so it's alright. I know you're rejecting me, but if you ever change your mind?" Byung Jin smiled sadly, not finishing his sentence and glanced back at the girls and boys eating indoors. "I hope it doesn't change anything about our friendship and the way you treat me."

"You trusted me and put everything on the line for that confession. I won't treat you any differently." I responded, wondering if I'd keep my word. There were several paths after a confession. Either one of us might break contact or we'd keep our friendship. I didn't know about Byung Jin and whether he felt comfortable sticking around while trying to move on, but I was very neutral about it. It all depends on Lu Han's reaction. I'm not quite sure if he is going to be happy about any of the stories I'll be telling him about.

"I guess you're following into my footsteps? You'll also leave the company?" Byung Jin tried to change the subject but he was probably curious about my decision. Renewing the contract or not? I was neither proposed to the idea nor did I have that conversation yet. Who knows? They might not offer to renew my contract either. 

I nodded my head. "I'm about ninety percent sure. I had my hopes up but the line-up seems pretty much finalised. The girls deserved it, that's not what I'm saying." Nothing was officially finalised but it was rather unlikely that a completely new member would be introduced to the group a few months prior to debut. EXO is another matter, they have a lot of members and many competing trainees. If my determination and my dream to become an idol were big enough to keep me going, I'd probably renew but in my case, there were more reasons to simply give up. Some things are just not meant to be and honestly, it was certain right from the start. "I'll continue practising diligently for the remaining months. Three months? Sometime in spring. There are many other things I'd like to do and it might be best to focus on my studies and family as well. Unlike you and the rest, it was never my goal to become an idol group member."

"I respect your decision. It's hard weighing up the pros and cons but after renewing once, I didn't want to renew again. I might not fit their concept, but I know I'm good enough. Don't lose your confidence because of it." Byung Jin responded, returning to his former senior trainee self. He glanced at his watch. "How long did you intend to stay tonight? Are you sure you want to go back to that table?" I followed his gaze through the windows which was on Sang Mi and her friends.

"Not yet. I seriously planned on enjoying my last hangout with the trainees but it's so hard being in a room with Go Sang Mi. How did you keep up with her for two years?" I questioned him but mostly wondered how Lu Han kept up with her personality for two years without noticing her obvious romantic interest. Apparently, Lu Han had a feeling but was an oblivious person. "I didn't plan on making any enemies or friends when I started. Training and leaving quietly, it's not much to ask for, right?"

"It's not your fault. It's just Sang Mi. If she likes you, it's all good. She knows she is talented and popular, but if you get on her bad side or near Lu Han, she will slowly make your life hell. I was lucky enough not to get close to either of them." Byung Jin recounted, telling me a few anecdotes of his early trainee days. They didn't include those two since they rarely met each other.

"I can't feel my legs anymore. Shall we go back inside?" I suggested and glanced at the trainees talking freely to each other. Though I've seen many of them around ever since I began training, I didn't feel a sense of belonging to that group. It felt like watching strangers gathering. Three months, Yoon Hye Yeong, endure three more months.

The rest of the night went by lively and quietly at the same time. Lively because of the free atmosphere and quietly because I avoided Sang Mi as much as possible. I wasn't scared of her. Getting excluded from the other trainees? Nothing I wouldn't foresee, I never had any close friends among the trainees to begin with. It was easy spreading rumours and lies about someone and having people actually believe them. If she felt like she needed it, I should let her be. Sang Mi will never have Lu Han anyway. That's a fact.

This night, I wasn't the first person to leave. Many trainees were underage, both of those who lived in a dormitory or with their parents had a curfew. They went home together in groups while I was walked to the station by Byung Jin. "I can get my car and drive you home, it'll be safer than taking the train at night. I'm worried. My house isn't far away, it wouldn't take long."

"You've already walked me to the station, it's fine. It's not the first time I'm going home by train at night, I'll know what to do." I reassured Byung Jin and thanked him for joining the Christ

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter