Heated

EXO SERIES: Lu Han's Little Love Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

---

>>HYE YEONG'S POV<<

The picture sent cold shivers down my spine. "Let's go." I tugged at Lu Han's jacket with a deep breath, trying to pronounce those words in a broken Mandarin. "Quickly."

Lu Han understood and bowed to the man, denying his question and saying goodbye. He must've noticed my extreme discomfort because he put his arm around me and retreated, going right back into my apartment. We could've gone to the station so I'd be on time for my lessons, but I couldn't leave Min Young alone at the apartment, knowing that this man was in front of the building.

Min Young was confused over why we were back and didn't complain. I sat down on the sofa, shivering out of fear. It was me on the picture for sure. 

"What was that?" Lu Han questioned me, gently rubbing my back. I glanced at Min Young nervously and she also began to realise something was off. "Min Young-ah, could you let Lu Han talk to your sister alone for a second?" Probably knowing that I didn't want to talk about the man in front of Min Young, he asked her to go to her bedroom. Lu Han disappeared in the kitchen to get me a cup of tea, giving me some time to calm down.

"Thanks. I didn't want Min Young to know." I whispered and lowered my head. It was too early to open up about my family background to Lu Han but it was probably better to let someone know. Especially after suddenly showing up in front of my apartment. "That's me in the picture. I was in middle school."

"Why did he have your photo? Is he a stalker? A ert? How do you know each other?" Lu Han showered me with quesitons but quickly apologised for his curiosity. "Do we have to call the police?"

"Yes, we should, he is a criminal. But not yet, I don't have any evidence against him. He might choose to escape again, who knows where he lingers around?" I started shaking again upon recalling the horrible events. "Who cares about classes now, there are classes every day." I'm not sick but it's an emergency. Being sick to miss training at the company had to involve not being able to stand up. And it was up to me whether I'd attend the classes or not. I'm not going out anywhere today. 

"Do you want to talk about it?" Lu Han was clearly worried and confused. He helped me out of the situation, I should at least tell him what was going on. "You don't have to if you are uncomfortable."

At least Lu Han was direct. If people usually asked me about my family because they were curious and it was natural, I'd tell them a short version of the story without the unpleasant details. I didn't hate the questions, I hated the awkward atmosphere that'd follow. I didn't like it when those people would feel sorry and apologise after listening to my story. Inhaling deeply, I recounted everything to Lu Han. "I used to call him Mr Im. My mother met him after our father passed away when I was in middle school. They went out a few times, I don't know about their relationship, she usually left Min Young in my care on those days." Our mother suffered a lot after our father's death. I'd tell her not to worry about us. "On one of those days, I received a call from the hospital. Mr Im had caused a car accident under influence. Our mother sat in the same car and passed away on the way to the hospital, another driver also passed. Mr Im survived but had to be in the hospital for a few days. They found he was under influence so the police was ready to and escaped after lying in the hospital for a few days. He was nowhere to be found." 

But why now? Why is he showing up now and what does he want? Money? Begging us for forgiveness? It didn't make any sense for a criminal to show up after years and suddenly apologise, did it? After the accident, scenes of the car crash appeared in my head without having even witnessed them. I was relieved I didn't see the actual car crash, but just thinking about how the other car driver was pronounced dead at the scene, and how my mother passed on the way to the hospital, how in past she must've been, I'd unknowingly imagine the scenario on my own. It stopped as time went on but with Mr Im's appearance, it started all over again. How the last time we saw our mother, we didn't know we'd never get to see each other again. We were so sure our mother would return safely. I didn't know if I should be sad or angry or any emotion at all.

Lu Han's eyes widened in shock. "We need to report him to the police quickly! He has to be put in prison for life and pay for his crimes. You can't let him get away." I really didn't know how to handle the situation, fighting back the tears that were formed while remembering the words of the medical staff on the phone nad when I arrived at the hospital. "How did he know where you live? That can't be a coincidence." 

I shrugged my shoulders. "Min Young and I moved out of the old apartment, we were minors and didn't have any money. Jung Ah's family took us in for a while but we couldn't stay forever, right? Some relatives in the countryside would send us some financial support but that also stopped one day. Thanks to the Kims, we met Mrs Nam who offered us to live at this apartment." Now, Mr Im knew we lived here and would come again. It's too dangerous for Min Young to leave the apartment by herself.

"We have enough evidence. If you call the police and explain everything to them, they'll come here and arrest him. Ask them to turn off the sirens because he might run away upon seeing the police cars. Sooner or later, you have to call the police. He was responsible for two innocent people's deaths, he needs to be punished." Lu Han explained and put his arms around me into an embrace after a lot of hesitation. "It'll be fine. We can do it."

I'm not even scared of Mr Im. I'm simply disgusted over his shameless appearance. "Then let's do it now. I can't let him run away again. He has escaped justice for the last four years ." I passed the phase of shock and my emotions were replaced with pure anger. I'm nervous about calling the police, though. I've never done that before. I dialled the number and explained everything carefully as calm as possible, talking about the car accident four years ago. I asked the police to approach my apartment and Mr Im carefully because he might know I reported him. They'll be here as fast as possible and call me again once they arrive.

"I think I'm going to pass out any second." I said jokingly after ending the phone call. I held it tightly and looked at Lu Han who has been with me for the whole time. "I should go downstairs to talk to Mr Im. So that he can't run away."

Lu Han stopped me immediately and made me stay seated. "I'll go instead. You stay up here and watch us through the window, I don't want you to get involved with him any further. The police will arrive soon, so don't worry."

Okay, then go if you want your identity to be revealed. He pretended not to know any Korean earlier, how would he fix this? "You shouldn't get involved in my personal matters. You have an image to protect."

"Who cares about an image now? Why won't you accept any help, Hye Yeong-ah? You always want to do everything on your own." Lu Han responded, asking me to stay with Min Young.

"I don't see any reasons or need to justify myself in front of you, but if you really want to know? I've only received help during all this time, I don't want to keep doing that anymore. And I don't want to rely on you either." All the talk about protecting me, all the cheesy stuff Lu Han would say. I don't need his protection. "Go if that's what you have to do."

Lu Han pulled up the hook of his jacket over his head and smiled. "I'll only win some time for the police, nothing big." And he went downstairs, out of my sight. I forgot to tell him to take care. Quickly going over to the window, I watched the scene anxiously while holding my phone. Please take care, Lu.

>>LU HAN'S POV<<

"Young man, good to see you again." Mr Im spoke to me first. "Where is your friend? I wanted to ask her something, she strongly resembled someone I knew."

It was hard acting like I didn't understand what he was saying. I only need to win some time for the police. "Actually, I know some limited Korean but we can't help you."

"Would it still be possible to talk to the your friend?" Mr Im questioned me, a desperate look in his eyes.

"Why would you want that?" I returned a question and crossed my arms at him, feeling all the anger Hye Yeong must've had right now. How can someone be so irresponsible? Driving under influence is a very stupid and careless thing to do.

"A few years ago, I met a family of three and caused great pain because of an accident. I'd like to find the family's daughters and beg for forgiveness." Mr Im explained and stared at the ground as if recalling the incident. "I'd like to make up for that pain."

I felt shivers and chills. I wasn't in the position to judge and though he might feel sorry towards what happened, I didn't know if his words were genuine or if it was an act. "I don't know the details of the accident, but if you want to make up for the pain you caused, it might be better to turn yourself in for your wrongdoings." Begging for forgiveness wouldn't help, it was an issue the police had to solve. 

"I've lived with the guilt for four years, I'm planning to turn myself in. I only wish for a chance to talk to the family again." Mr Im responded, looking up at me helplessly. "You can't imagine how long I've been looking for them. I've suffered a lot, too, and walked around to find them. Finding them was the last thing I wanted to do before going to the police." 

My phone vibrated, Hye Yeong texted me. The police arrived. What do I do now? "Please do the right thing. You might talk to them in court."

Mr Im was arrested and taken to the police station. "You knew about it all along." Hye Yeong came downstairs, wearing a mask probably because she didn't want Mr Im to see her whole face. Her eyes radiated enough emotions for Mr Im to understand. The police informed Hye Yeong about some details. They'll ca

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter