Giving Up

EXO SERIES: Lu Han's Little Love Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

---

>>HYE YEONG'S POV<<

Heo Byung Jin. After a lot of persistence, I agreed to spend lunch with him. He was incredibly annoying, reminding me of a certain other guy who did the same, but I'd rather hang out with Byung Jin than with Lu Han. They were both my seniors, but it was way more risky to be seen with Lu Han. Byung Jin and I spent lunch together a few times, we didn't share any classes. There is no time before or after practice. And I particularly don't have any romantic feelings for either of them.

Today, we went for a walk near the Han River instead of eating. Nothing special at all, but it was refreshing. I refused to stay out long because I planned on picking up Min Young personally instead of letting her go home on her own. It's been long since we spent any time together during daytime. Even if it was only the walk home from school, I've been mostly away and left her alone. 

"I can accompany you. You know, I've always wanted to meet your sister." Heo Byung Jin suggested, causing me to raise my eyebrows in a mixture of confusion and surprise. That was my first time hearing him say this. I never talked about Min Young a lot but he wasn't curious as to ask me either.

"I don't know if it's a good idea. My sister doesn't really like strangers." I replied because this conversation would lead to nothing but losing more time. I didn't want to let Min Young wait and have Heo Byung Jin meet her at all. It reminded me of Min Young's and Lu Han's first meeting except Min Young adored Lu Han afterwards.

"Am I still a stranger to you?" Byung Jin questioned me, not receiving any answers from my side. The important fact wasn't him being a stranger to me, but to Min Young. "Come on, I'll accompany you to her school and leave you two alone if you want. If she is in middle school or high school, she should be old enough to go home by herself, right? Why would you go through all the trouble?" Byung Jin added, either jokingly or seriously. Whatever his intention was, it wasn't funny to me. The city is safe, the country is safe, I know that. Elementary schoolers in Korea were mostly safe on their way from and to school, otherwise I wouldn't let Min Young go by herself. This time, it wasn't about safety. I'm the worst big sister.

"You think it's overprotectiveness? It might as well be. There's nothing wrong about picking her up once in a while? My sister is a fourth-grader and I know she can do enough on her own, but my life is none of your business." Byung Jin was wasting his time on me. If he was genuinely interested in my life, he could show it differently instead of making fun of my actions. 

"A fourth-grader? Children these days are quick to grow independent. I'm sorry, did I offend you? I just can't understand why you need to be so overprotective over your sister. Perhaps because I'm an only child." Byung Jin shrugged his shoulders and apologised to me, following me to Min Young's school at the end. I never responded and almost forgot about Byung Jin as I spotted Min Young coming out of the building among the other children.

"Didn't you say you'll accompany me and leave afterwards?" I raised my eyebrows at him again before waving at my sister. She didn't know about me coming today so the look of surprise on her face was extremely cute. "Did you have fun at school today? No problems or trouble?" Min Young nodded her head and remarked Byung Jin's presence. She turned back to me with a questioning expression. They've never met before.

"I am Byung Jin and you are Min Young, right? I am Hye Yeong's friend, nice to meet you." He went down to her eye level and held out his hand to shake hers. Min Young glanced at me, looking for approval and shook hands with Byung Jin after I simply shrugged my shoulders. I guess we are kind of friends. "Consider me an older brother." 

"Sis, this uncle is weird." Min Young whispered to me and kept being suspicious towards Byung Jin. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't talk to you." Turning her head away, she ignored Byung Jin completely and observed the environment. Byung Jin tried everything to convince my sister, but she wouldn't listen to him or pay him any attention. It was amusing and a bit sad to watch him try so hard.

"I guess your sister doesn't like me very much. Maybe it'll change one day, I will not give up on gaining her trust." You can keep trying if you want. There's no use. Her one and only love of her life is Lu Han. He'd probably be hurt to know that Min Young and Lu Han were close. I'd rather not mention Lu Han to Byung Jin, they didn't seem to like each other. 

Min Young distanced herself and ran away all of a sudden. "Lu Han!" Min Young shouted and waved at him excitedly. "Lu Han, my sister came here with a weird uncle. Do you know him?" Now that Lu Han was here, everything was fine for her. Not for me. Min Young grew more and more attached to him, it worried me. And Lu Han might get in serious trouble with our agency. What about his schedule anyway? He has too much spare time for an almost debuted idol.

"Good to see you. I was just passing by." Lu Han smiled at me and greeted Byung Jin with a light bow. They were still trainees and Lu Han was technically his junior until his debut in a few days. 

"Lu Han, if I remember correctly you have a dance practice to attend for your debut stage on Sunday." Byung Jin reminded the older one but I was quick to notice that he was as confused with the entire situation as me. Lu Han wasn't just passing by. He doesn't know which elementary school Min Young attends, but he knows which district we live in. Both the dormitory and the company are farther away from here, Lu Han doesn't have a reason to cross paths with us.

"You really do remember my schedule as clearly as my manager and I can't even keep up with my own schedule. Very impressive, my friend." Lu Han responded with an ironic smile. "Thanks for taking Hye Yeong, I'll take over from here. Let's go home." Min Young followed Lu Han, forcing me to go after them. I turned around quickly and said goodbye to Byung Jin without any explanation. I'll have to prepare myself mentally for the questions about Lu Han he is going to ask me soon.

We arrived at my apartment quickly and I ignored Lu Han on the whole way. Not that he paid much attention to me anyway. Min Young and Lu Han were mainly interacting and talking, I walked behind him. "Aren't you relieved or at least glad to see me? What were you doing with that Byung Jin? Especially picking up Min Young with him, how could you let him meet her? You know she doesn't like strangers, right Min Young-ah?" Lu Han asked my sister. What a rhetorical question. My sister strongly agreed, of course. "You heard Min Young. She doesn't like him." 

"What are you getting upset about? It's none of your business, I don't need to justify myself to you." I was getting sick of Lu Han thinking he had any right to tell me what to and not to do. Min Young is on his side, so what? Do I need to do what he says? Min Young might be my whole life, but there are some things I can't allow.

"The uncle from earlier is taking you away from Lu Han." Min Young joined out conversation. Lu Han smiled proudly and praised Min Young for being on his side, again as always. Lu Han is the one taking Min Young from me, I feel helpless.

"Just so you know, it's harder to avoid Byung Jin than to see him on purpose." I rolled my eyes at Lu Han and looked at my watch, noticing the time. "I've got to go quickly. I'll be late for practice."

"I'll pick you up after classes!" As if Lu Han didn't listen to anything I said, the innocent smile on his face never faded. "Are you free tomorrow?" 

"No." I briefly responded and got my stuff ready to leave. Eun Chae's older sister's wedding was set for this weekend and I've also bought a dress with the help of Jung Ah. However, Min Young was coming along as well so tomorrow was a good day to try some dresses. "Don't you have to be somewhere else?" Always so pushy. 

"Only next to you, that's where I shall be." Lu Han placed his hand on his chest, pretending to feel a connection to me. "No time tomorrow? Then what about the day after?" 

"No." I repeated, letting out an annoyed sigh and stopped, turning to Lu Han at last. "Go away, I won't have time for you on any day." 

"Wow, that's hurting my feelings. Alright, I'll let you go to training, take care." Lu Han accepted the rejection and nodded his head, saying his goodbyes to Min Young. 

However, Min Young must've told him, because on the next day, Lu Han showed up at our apartment again. His behaviour is reckless. Doesn't he fear getting caught by the media so shortly before his official debut? "Clothes? New clothes for Min Young? Are you going somewhere special or why do you want to buy her a dress all of a sudden?"

"Because of the wedding." Min Young blurted out, causing Lu Han's eyes to widen in disbelief. "My sister is getting married so I need a dress as well."

Nice way to make Lu Han misunderstand you, Min Young. Technically, she told the truth. Eun Chae's older sister was our sister in some way. "Married? To whom? You're cheating on me with Heo Byung Jin?" Lu Han was desperate and the look on his face was utterly amusing. He immediately checked my hand for a ring. And to Byung Jin? How amusing. I fought a grin.

"We never dated, Lu Han. How could I have cheated on you?" I shot him a glare and walked through the store, looking for a nice dress for Min Young to wear. "I am not getting married. I can't go buy a dress for my sister?" 

The expression of relief on his face was obvious and he turned back to his usual self. "Min Young-ah, Lu Han will buy it for you. Let's try it on later." He regarded the dresses and led Min Young around, having changed the subject probably out of embarrassment. I followed them reluctantly. He kept taking Min Young away from me. I'll so block his number on Min Young's phone after this. "It's pretty, isn't it? Would you like to wear it? Choose the ones you like, Min Young-ah, Lu Han will buy th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter