Graduating

EXO SERIES: Lu Han's Little Love Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hi there! Welcome to the chronologically third (but actually first one I've ever written) story of the EXO series! First of all, I'm sorry for all the typos, errors and other mistakes, I finished revising but there are probably lots of errors.. Anyway, I hope you will enjoy reading! ^^

---

>>HYE YEONG'S POV<<

February 2012.

In the eighteen years of my life, I constantly learned not to care about other people's thoughts on me as a person and the way I lived. People enjoyed talking behind one's back, spread rumours and lies, especially when they didn't know you at all. Some people would probably say I was a cold-hearted person, some might pity me when they knew nothing about me. One day, I just stopped caring. People believe what they want to believe after all.

Was it so hard to ask for a peaceful and quiet life? I guess so. But I'm trying my best to keep up and go on in life. It was only my little sister Min Young and I in our family which was definitely for the better. Though it could be hard taking care of an almost ten-year-old by yourself, we got along well and she usually listened to me.

These days, I've been only worried about my future. What will I do from now on? I don't know. I don't have any dreams or goals concerning jobs. The last years, I was never able to think about my future path and only worried about how to keep Min Young well-fed. I always put my sister before me, there were no chances to consider my wishes.

That's it for my life in very short. And today was the day of my graduation from high school and the next step towards a new chapter in my life. More time to work! 

"Hye Yeong-ah!" Jung Ah called my name, running towards me with a bouquet of flowers in her hands. "I'm sorry for being late. Why do Jongin and you have to graduate on the same day?" She questioned herself and embraced me tightly. Kim Jung Ah, one my closest friends who I considered an older sister. We met when I was in middle school and ever since then, she has been helping me out during difficult periods.

"It's okay, he is your brother after all. Of course you should attend his graduation ceremony first." I smiled at her and thanked her for coming. "I've been studying for almost my whole life, I don't know what to do now." I tried to joke, feeling relieved but also sad to leave school including the memories. How good would it be to attend university? I'd love to take up an academic course, but look at the tuition fees. I'll have to save money until I die and I unsuccessfully applied for various scholarships.

"Now you don't have any excuses for not coming to work." Eun Chae teased me and handed me a second bouquet of flowers. Kim Eun Chae, my other closest friend and the oldest among us three. Thanks to her and Jung Ah, I got to work at the coffee shop and quit delivering milk in my neighbourhood.

"I'll have to go back home because of my brother again." Jung Ah said and I saw the guilty expression on her face. We see each other almost every day for work so it's alright. "Anyway, congrats on your graduation! I still remember when you just started middle school and we met at the spicy stir-fried rice cakes stand near your school. You paid for my food because I forgot my money." Brings back memories. She introduced me to Jongin and the first thing I said was "Wow, you look so alike!" but that was obvious with them being siblings.

"It shows how clumsy you are and how our meeting was destined. I owe you two so much." I refused to cry today because there was nothing to cry about. Rather than graduating, I felt thankful and sorry towards Jung Ah and Eun Chae because I would've been more of a mess without them than I already was before. 

We took some photos at school together and talked for a while before Jung Ah had to go. Later in the evening, we gathered at a small restaurant to celebrate our graduation. There was Jongin who I just saw the other day at the coffee shop, his family, Eun Chae, Min Young and I. The Kim family has known me ever since Jung Ah and I became friends back then, they have helped us very much as well after being on our own.

Jongin and I were both the same age, being only a few days apart and even in the same graduation year. We started school earlier and graduated on the same day at different schools. Jung Ah must've had a hard time switching between us. "Hye Yeong-ah, you haven't watched my teaser yet?" Jongin questioned me shocked and stopped eating. Everyone was looking at me. 

"Well, I remember watching some. But you know, I'm not into idols so perhaps I forgot." I responded honestly and thought about the clips Jung Ah had sent me last month. She practically spammed me with text messages and photos starting last year in December. Frankly, I didn't bother looking at them, I might have watched some teasers Jongin was in, though. I don't really remember.

"That needs to change. Here, I'll show you some! This is an early one." Jongin looked something up on his phone and gave it to me. "Our debut was pushed back several times but now it's final, it's set in April and you need to come to our showcase! My teaser was the first one to be released. Wait, here is another one."

I carefully watched the teaser Jongin showed me. I did watch the teaser he talked about but this one was new to me. "Jongin-ah, who is the other guy there? How many members are there in your group?" 

"You mean Lu Han? We are twelve in total, he's from the Chinese subunit. A great dancer with the looks of an innocent deer." He curiously asked for my opinion and waited with an expecting grin. 

"As expected from you, Jongin-ah. I'm looking forward to your debut." I smiled at him and though I barely had any interest in idols and the entertainment industry, I was sure Jongin and his group would become very successful. And with twelve probably handsome young men who could sing and dance, I was quite certain it would be difficult not to fall for their charms. I don't know about the 'charms' part, they haven't knocked me over yet.

"Thanks! You would do great as an idol, too, Hye Yeong! I think your style fits SM Entertainment and you know music, don't lie to me. If you are unsure about dancing, I can easily teach you that. You have that aura my company looks for." Jung Ah's brother promised, trying to convince me to try out auditioning but I politely declined. I don't know music, I know casually singing as a hobby but becoming an idol was never in my farthest dreams or on my list. Not that I have any dreams. "The global auditions have already passed in Seoul but you can also go every Saturday. Give it a try, Hye Yeong." 

A few days passed and my daily routine didn't change. While most of my old schoolmates would start university after the break, I worked at Eun Chae's coffee shop and didn't need to worry about studying anymore. Min Young was on spring break for a week before officially becoming a fourth grader. Oh, how time flies.

"Slow down, Eun Chae. What do you want me to do? And what on earth are you talking about?" I stopped cleaning the floor to look up at my friend in confusion. "Jongin is a better singer than me, certainly. I won't sing, I can't." 

"No, I can't possibly ask him. A friend of mine agreed to do me the favour in the afternoon and it has been planned for the shop's anniversary. She can't make it today because she is sick. I can't cancel the live performance at short notice. Please, fill in for her once. I'll join you if that encourages you. See it as a way to gain some more customers who we are really in need of! It's a great idea to draw attention to the coffee shop." Eun Chae nudged my elbow with desperate puppy eyes. If she begs me like that, how could I ever refuse? It's the least I can do. It was only for today anyway and since she needed someone to fill in, I should probably do it.

"I've never sung anywhere except for at home or during music classes in high school. And what if I'm not good enough? Your customers will be disappointed and stop going to the coffee shop at all." I was strongly against the idea for personal reasons at the beginning. Bu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter