Chapter 4 • The Plan Begins •

Reunion • A GOT7 Fanfic •

Saem dropped into a sitting position at her small table and let out a deep breath. Reaching for her uniform coat, she undid the buttons and sighed in relief as the cold air hit her stomach through her shirt. After agreeing to help BamBam they parted ways and went home - what that was for BamBam, Saem had no idea but she didn't question it. For Saem it was the small one bedroom "house" on top of two other units. Really it was just a kitchen, attached to an open bedroom and one bathroom in the corner. Thankfully, that had a door. After Sanghyun had died, her parents still didn't come back and so they found this place for her and paid the rent. 

Sitting up, Saem clicked her tongue, "Chubbi, come here girl."

When Saem couldn't hear paws scampering across the floor like she usually did, she frowned. Reaching across the floor for the bell her cat played with all the time, she rang it a few times. Still nothing. "Chubbi, come here!"

Nothing.

The sound of an airplane flying overhead was louder than usual and Saem realized something. The window above her bed was still wide open. Saem usually opened it in the mornings to let in fresh air and let Chubbi sit on the sill for a while. But she always closed it before leaving for school. Except for today...she had lost track of time and had to rush out. 

Racing to the window, Saem poked her head out and searched the railing. Her cat was no where to be seen. "Chubbi," Saem whisper shouted. "Chubbi, come here." Again she clicked her tongue, but the white fur ball did not appear. Panic seared through Saem's gut. That cat was the only friend she had. Running to the door, Saem slipped back on her shoes and grabbed her keys. She locked up, shivering in the night breeze but decided against a coat. Racing down the steps she looked up and down the street before turning up the hill. It was dark now and the only light she had was given by the street lamps. 

"Chubbi! Come here!" Saem tried to be quiet as it was getting late and people were starting to sleep. But the panic caused her voice to raise. "Chubbi!!"

Saem came upon the park at the top of the hill and searched the play structures. However nothing could be found. Saem entered the nicer part of the neighborhood and searched between the houses and peeked into people's yards, calling her cat's name.

"Yah!" Someone called from their window. "Keep it down!"

Saem ignored them and kept searching. However she stopped when she ran into someone. Their hands reached out and steadied her as she stumbled. As soon as Saem was steady on her feet again she stepped back and bowed. "I'm sorry."

She started to walk around the stranger but he called out to her. "Wait." His voice was smooth and deep. 

Saem stopped and looked over her shoulder, finally looking at the man. She blinked when she recognized him as one of BamBam's friends, Jaebum. He pointed at her as he too recognized her. "You were at the college today. My friend, Mark talked to you."

"Ah...yes." Saem bowed her head again. "I'm sorry for bumping into you, but I have to search for my cat. She got out."

Jaebum's face took on a sympathetic look. "Let me help."

"Oh, no I wouldn't want to bother you." 

"No it's okay, really. I also have a cat, and I'd be losing my mind if I lost her. Where have you searched already?"

Saem hesitated but answered after a moment. "Around my house, and from the park to here. I'm starting to think she's not in this neighborhood though. I was going to double back and head down the hill next."

Jaebum nodded. "Well this neighborhood is bigger than it seems, I'll search around here some more and you can go down the hill. We can meet back at your place in an hour, if that's okay."

Saem nodded. "Uh...my place is three blocks down the hill from the park."

Nodding again, Jaebum patted Saem's shoulder in a friendly, comforting manner. "We'll find her."

"Thank you."

"What's your cat's name. And what's she look like," Jaebum asked, starting to walk backwards into the neighborhood slowly.

"Chubbi is her name. She's fat, and has white fur. Oh! Her front left paw is light brown."

Jaebum flashed a thumbs up before turning around and jogging off. Saem rushed off in the opposite direction, heading back the way she came. She checked the park one more time before continuing on. Once she reached her house she did another quick sweep before heading further down the hill. As you went further down the hill, the neighborhood got creepier and creepier. Especially in the dark. Fewer street lamps worked as well so it was harder to see. 

However Saem wasn't going to give up. She peeked into alleyways, whispering her cat's name. After what seemed like and eternity of searching, Saem decided to head back. She'd almost forgotten she'd agreed to meet Jaebum again. Her stride up the hill was slower as she was getting more and more tired. As she rounded the small bend and saw her house she also noticed the figure standing at the steps, his arms cradling a bundle of white.

Saem gasped and he must've heard her because he looked up and met her gaze. When he recognized her in the dark he grinned and lifted his arms slightly to show Chubbi. Saem sprinted up the hill and stopped in front of the older boy, her face lit with joy. Fat, white, and a brown paw. Chubbi. Saem held out her hands and Jaebum gently handed over the cat who meowed as she looked up at Saem. The cat's loud purring started up instantly.

"Where was she?" Saem asked.

"I found her huddled in a cardboard box. Took a few treats to lure her out. I probably should've asked about feeding her before though. Some people don't like their cats having treats."

Saem shook her head, not even caring. "No it's fine. Thank you so much. I don't know how to repay you."

"Don't worry about it," Jaebum smiled, reaching forward to scratch Chubbi's head.

Saem shook her head again. "At least come in for some tea?"

Jaebum pursed his lips before replying. "Maybe next time. It's getting sort of late."

Saem gasped and gave him a sheepish smile. "Oh God, you're right. I'm so sorry for keeping you out so late."

"Mmm," Jaebum shook his head. "I wouldn't have been able to sleep anyway, I'm a night owl. But I'll hold you to that tea..."

As he trailed off, Saem frowned and looked up. He gave her a questioning look and she realized he was asking for her name. "Ah...Saem, Joo Saem."

"I'll hold you to that tea, Saem."

Saem nodded and then he was walking off. Saem remembered she wasn't supposed to know his name and spoke up. "What's you're name?"

Looking over his shoulder, he waved. "Im Jaebum."

• • •

 The next morning Saem woke up on time and like always she opened the window for Chubbi. The cat meowed as she stalked onto the railing and swished her tail. Saem popped bread into the toaster and switched out of her pajamas to her school uniform. Entering the extrmely small bathroom she brushed through her tangles and slapped some water on her face. Hearing the toaster pop, Saem exited the bathroom and spread some butter on the toast before going to the fridge to grab the jam. However there wasn't any. 

Scowling at the sudden realization of how empty her fridge was - she didn't even have food for lunch - she shut the door and grabbed a sticky note before scribbling the first grocery items to come to mind. Chewing on her toast the familiar feeling of BamBam's presence tingled down the back of her neck.

"Is it okay for me to come in?" He asked. Saem turned around and saw him halfway through the door, his eyes shut. "I don't want to invade your privacy."

"Yeah it's fine. Thanks for asking though." Saem turned back to her list and scribbled down some more items. She was vaguely aware of BamBam looking around.

"This is pretty nice."

Saem scoffed and she jotted down eggs to her list. "Yeah right."

"No really. I like it."

Saem hummed under her breath, not really paying attention as she added bread to the list as well. 

"So what's the first part of our plan?" BamBam asked.

Putting the list into her wallet for later she finished her breakfast and went back to the bathroom to brush her teeth. "I'm not sure yet, honestly. I can work a little with Youngjae today and maybe Yugyeom cause he seems sweet. I'm a little intimidated by Jackson and Jinyoung though." Saem spread toothpaste on the brush and started scrubbing her teeth. Her words came out slightly muffled in when she spoke again. "I also have work tonight so I can't do anything besides that."

"Where do you work?" BamBam asked. 

"Grocery store," Saem answered after she spit into the sink. When she finished brushing her teeth she rinsed off the brush and put it back in the cup next to the sink before wiping with a towel. Back in the living room she slipped on her socks and threw her wallet into her backpack before hoisting it onto her shoulders and grabbing her keys. 

Saem stuck her head out the window and clicked her tongue, "Chubbi."

The cat lazily made her way over to the window where Saem lifted her up and pulled her inside. As she shut the window, Chubbi settled in her bed and yawned. "I'll be back late tonight Chubbi; you know where your food is."

With that Saem made her way to the door and locked up before heading down to the street.

"JB has a cat," BamBam said. 

"I know," Saem said. "He told me last night when he was helping me find Chubbi." 

"See you guys are already bonding. This is gonna be easy."

Saem smiled and shook her head but didn't say anything. At the bottom of the hill she walked along the main sidewalk behind kids in all different types of uniforms. And as always, the kids in the same uniform as her whispered as she walked past. Honestly Saem couldn't even imagine what more people had to gossip about her. The ghost incident happened in elementary school and the only people who still called her that were kids who she had gone to elementary school with. It had spread a little more going into middle school but since high school started the spread of "Ghost Girl" was slim. People just didn't talk to her because they saw how many people ostracized her. 

Then she remembered the Jackson thing from yesterday's lunch. Groaning internally she stopped at the bus stop and crossed her arms, ignoring the haughty glares from her fellow female classmates. BamBam stood by and rolled his eyes at everyone.

"They're all so...so...gah I don't even know what to call them. Do they seriously not have anything better to do?"

Saem couldn't answer, not here. She tapped her foot, getting impatient for the bus. 

"Ah look, it's Jaebum!" BamBam suddenly exclaimed pointing down the block. Saem looked up curiously and saw Jaebum jogging in this diretion. He wore a simple exercising outfit and Saem could also see that he had his earbuds in. He must've of felt her staring because he looked over and blinked in recognition. As he neared her, he waved and took out one earbud.

"Good morning, Saem," he greeted, coming to a halt, his breath slightly winded. 

"Good morning," Saem greeted, bowing respectfully. 

"So that tea you promised. Does later today work for you?"

Saem shook her head. "No I'm sorry. I have work tonight." 

"Ah," Jaebum said snapping his fingers in disappointment. The sound of a bus coming up gathered both Saem and Jaebum's attention. Saem swung her bag around and pulled out her wallet. "Next time then," Jaebum said.

Saem looked up and smiled slightly. "Next time."

With that Jaebum waved and put his earbud back in before continuing his jog. As the bus pulled up, the students lined up to climb in. When Saem turned around she saw two girls from her class. One of them had been in every class with Saem since elementary school, Ok Jae Mi.

"First Jackson Wang and now some older guy. I didn't know Ghost Girl needed a man's attention so much," Jae Mi sneered. Her friend, who Saem didn't recognized snickered. They climbed onto the bus and Saem followed after. After scanning her bus card, Saem made her way down the walkway and stopped near the back door. She was vaguely aware of Jae Mi whispering something else to someone. Let the rumors begin.

• • •

"Don't listen to them," BamBam muttered as they walked up the hill to the school. The usual amount of shoulder checks and giggling had met Saem as she walked up the hill. 

"Easier said than done," Saem muttered under her breath. 

"Why don't you tell a teacher?"

"And what," Saem sighed. "Become the school snitch also? If you think this is bad, it would be worse if I told a teacher."

"High school sounds messed up."

"Messed up in an understatement." 

At the gate, Mr. Jang gave Saem a nod of approval for not being late and she discreetly returned it. Since there was still sometime before the bells rang a few students were out on the courtyard still. One group in particular was extremely rowdy for the morning. Jackson's group.

Saem sighed realizing the only way to the front door was to walk past him and his friends. One thing many people knew about high school boys was that they could be cruel. They liked to dragged things out for as long as possible and tease others, especially girls. 

"It'll be okay," BamBam assured her. "Even if they make fun of you, Jackson won't let it go on for long."

"Okay, but that implies he'd still let it happen for a while."

Someone else - someone very alive - came up and stood beside Saem. She frowned and both BamBam and her looked up only to find Yugyeom smiling down at her. Saem couldn't help once again to notice how tall he was. The kid was a giant.

"Hi, sunbae!" Yugyeom greeted cheerfully. 

"Ah...hi," Saem made a show of looking at Yugyeom's name tag. "Hi, Yugyeom-ah."

"You look nervous. Is it about Jackson hyung's friends? I'll walk with you if you want me to. Hyung won't let them pick on you with you're with me."

Saem blinked. "Why not?"

Yugyeom shrugged and stuffed his hands in his pockets. "Honestly, I don't know cause we're not really friends anymore. But, I think there's still that friendly familiarity, you know? And who knows, maybe one day Jackson won't stop them. Want to find out if today is that day?"

Saem studied the taller boy's face and saw a small ounce of sadness. Maybe for the lost friendship they all used to have. Saem must've been staring for too long however because soon Yugyeom got all flustered. "What are you looking at?" He chuckled softly.

"Ah, sorry, I'm still tired. If you don't mind walking with me, that'd be great," Saem smiled. Yugyeom smiled back and then the two of them walked towards the school together, BamBam silently following on Saem's other side.

They were quiet, still in that "I just met you" phase. However it wasn't awkward or uncomfortable. In fact Saem rather liked it. The feeling of just being next to someone and not having to be a host to company. As they neared Jackson and his friends Saem started to feel her stomach drop. One of the boys noticed her and stopped talking, instead pointing out Saem to another boy. Jackson had his back to them at the moment, his attention on tying his shoes.

"Yo, Wang. It's Ms. Stares-A-Lot!" He shouted. "And she's got her self a new boyfriend. That giant first-year kid! Turns out she got over you quickly." 

The others laughed and Saem wanted to shrink into the ground and never see another person again. However she relaxed when Yugyeom discreetly nudged her arm gently. BamBam also took a step closer and though there was nothing he could physically do, just his being there was enough to make Saem feel like she had real friends. 

As the guys laughed more, Jackson finally looked up and Saem noticed his eyes going straight to Yugyeom before turning to his friends. "Don't make fun of him."

His friends stopped and looked at Jackson in confusion. "Dude, we're just playing."

"I don't care," Jackson said. "Don't make fun of him. Or her anymore for that matter."

"Whatever," said another. They all cast Jackson weird looks but thankfully dropped the subject.

Yugyeom and Saem made it past the guys and Yugyeom smiled once his back was to them. He wrapped his arm around Saem's shoulders and gave her a quick squeeze. "Today wasn't that day, then. We're lucky."

Saem smiled and snuck a look over her shoulder and Yugyeom's arm. She watched as Jackson watched them with a curious look on his face. When his gaze caught her's the corner of his mouth lifted softly in a small smile. Blushing, Saem turned away and saw that they'd reached the front lobby of the school.

"Well, my class is this way. Bye sunbae!" Yugyeom let go of Saem's shoulders and waved as he jogged off to class. Saem watched him for a moment before turning towards the direction of her class.