Chapter 3 • Will You Help? •

Reunion • A GOT7 Fanfic •

By the time Saem reached the college she was on full alert. Walking through the campus, she ignored the looks the college students gave her uniform and focused on ignoring the chilly feeling on her back. Every ghost had a different feeling when they appeared to her, that's how she never jumped when she turned around and saw one. This one was full of regret and self-loathing and apology. And even still Saem refused to turn around and acknowledge the ghost's presence. And he respected that by not appearing in front of her.

"Who's the ghost following us around," BamBam asked looking over his shoulder.

Saem waited until she was in an empty hallway before replying quietly. "No one, just don't look at Sa- him."

BamBam blinked. "Do you know him?"

"Huh?"

"You almost just said a name. Do you know him?"

"No, now just tell me where we're going," Saem dodged the topic. It worked because BamBam's face lit up as he remembered why they were there in the first place.

"Both Mark and JB are in the Music Department!"

Saem nodded and then turned the corner towards the direction they needed to go. She risked a look over her shoulder as she turned and saw him standing halfway down the hall. The same as he'd always been in her memory. The only difference was the solemn look on his face as he watched her go.

• • •

Saem sat in front of the Music Department building with her arms and legs crossed. BamBam was sitting up in the tree behind the bench Saem sat on. His feet were dangling and swinging as he hummed a song under his breath. Saem was acutely aware of how much she stood out on a college campus in her school uniform. But she tried to ignore the looks from the few passersby. For all they knew she could be waiting for an older brother. Saem flinched, her thoughts hitting too close to home. She hadn't felt his presence since they left him in the hallway but Saem knew he was somewhere around the campus. That was his punishment. 

Suddenly students started to shuffle out of the building, signalling that a class had got out. BamBam appeared next to Saem and looked on in excitment.

"Mark and JB were the only two to stay friends with each other after what happened. They also stayed the most the same afterwards. I think it's cause they're older and more mature," BamBam shrugged. "Ah! There's Mark!"

Saem looked over to where BamBam was pointing frantically and saw a lean, tall boy walking towards the bench she was sitting on. He sat down on the opposite end and sent Saem a polite small smile before pulling out his phone and tapping away. He had dark brown hair that was styled up and out of his face and he looked laid back in his dark jeans and blue flannel shirt. 

Saem couldn't help but be taken aback by his good looks, but she quickly looked away before he could catch her staring. Feeling awkward for just sitting there Saem pulled out her phone an opened a random text message conversation. Hoping her acting didn't seem too weird, she bolted up and then looked around the campus like she was looking for something in particular. Mark cast her a quick glance before looking away again. 

Letting out a small 'ah!' as if she'd found what she was looking for, Saem rushed off.

"Where are you going?" BamBam hissed.

"You said Jaebum gets out a little later than Mark, right?" Saem whispered. "Well there's something I need to check up on real quick. Just stay here. I'll be back in time." 

BamBam slowed to a stop and let Saem go before turning back around. Saem slowed to a walk as soon as Mark and BamBam were out of sight. She followed the familiar path back into the main building and then took the back stairs up to the rooftop. Standing in the middle of the roof was him...Saem's brother.

He looked over his shoulder at her and smiled slightly. Saem hesitated for a moment before stepping out onto the roof and coming to stand next to him. The Joo siblings were 5 years apart in age. Two years ago, in Sanghyun's second year of college, the stress of school and having to take care of both him and her on his own got to him. One day, he left for school and didn't come back. Saem had always had a sneaking suspicion something had been bothering her brother. When she came home from school and saw the police waiting at her home, she already knew what they would tell her.

"You know," Sanghyun said softly, breaking Saem out of her thoughts. "I think deep down I didn't truly believe in your gift. Not until you came that first time and looked me straight in the eye."

"I knew," Saem whispered. "When I had my panic attacks...there was always something in they way you said that you believed. Like you were trying but you weren't quite there."

"If you knew then why didn't you hate me? You hated Mom and Dad."

"Because Mom and Dad didn't try. As soon as they found out about my ability they up and left. Like I said, you were trying and that's what showed me you cared. I didn't need you to believe. I needed you to care." Saem stopped and took a deep breath. "And I should've done the same with you. I shouldn't have gone off on you the way I did that first day."

Sanghyun shook his head. "No, it's okay.  I should've tried to work through my slump. I should've talked to someone."

Saem scuffed her shoe on the ground and looked up at the sky. It was getting closer to the late afternoon and the sun was starting to dip in the sky. Not quite a sunset but almost. "We both had things we should've done. Now there's only what we can do."

Sanghyun chuckled and looked down as he shook his head. "You're too wise for your own good."

Saem smiled slightly and shoved her hands into her pockets, deciding now would be a good time to leave. "Well...I'm helping out this ghost and to do that I may be frequenting this place more often. So I'll stop by and see you sometimes."

Sanghyun looked up at her and smirked. "What happened to your "never-to-be-broken" rules."

"Oh they still apply to a lot of ghosts. But this kid, he's not bad. His intentions are true. It shouldn't blow up too badly in my face."

"Just be careful, okay?"

"I will." Saem nodded, and leaned back on her heels. "I've got to head back, he'll be wondering where I am." 

Sanghyun turned fully to look at his sister and smiled. "See ya, Saem."

"Bye, oppa," Saem replied as he disappeared.

Alone, Saem took a moment to look out at the horizon and she took a deep breath and let it out slowly, trying to push away the burn of the tears in her eyes. As soon as she got it under control, she spun on her heel and made her way off the roof.

• • •

She took the long way back and arrived just as the new bunch of kids was exiting the building. She couldn't see BamBam around and started to panic. Did she miss Jaebum?

"There you are!" BamBam called as he appeared by the bench. He waved her over and she quickly made her way to where he stood. "There's Jaebum, with Mark." BamBam pointed out his friends.

She saw Mark again and then saw the boy next to him. He had black hair and his eyes curved as he smiled at whatever Mark was talking about. They looked really close as Jaebum threw his arm around his friend and laughed. A moment later Mark laughed along. As they walked past the bench, Mark looked up and slowed to a stop when he saw Saem standing there. She blinked and quickly looked away.

"Excuse me?" said a soft voice. 

Saem jolted slightly and looked over to see Mark standing in front of her, Jaebum a few feet behind looking on curiously. "Y-yes?"

"Are you looking for someone? It's just this is the second time I've seen you here and you seem kind of lost."

"Uh..." Saem scrambled for an answer before blurting out, "My brother. He said to meet him here, just never said what time."

"If you go into the building you can ask the receptionist about his schedule," Mark offered.

"Oh! Really? Thank you!" Saem bowed and then hurried off towards the building. When she looked over her shoulder and saw Mark and Jaebum continuing their path, Saem verged off to the side of the building and watching them over the edge until she couldn't see them anymore.

"So," BamBam said, peeking over her shoulder. His hand was on her shoulder and it felt like a cold breeze on her. "Will you help?"