Blueberry Pancakes!

Our Perfectly Imperfect Family

A/n:

This takes place about a year and half in the future from the last chapter 

 

Sunlight creeped in through the window blinds of Seokjin and Namjoon's bedroom. Seokjin's eyes opened slowly at the sunny change, wishing it away in favor of more sleep. He turned over and away from it, the traitorous sun, and closed his eyes. He smiled at a softly snoring Namjoon before drifting back to sleep, ignoring the faint thudding in the distance of something akin to stampeding children.

Seokjin had barely gotten a snore of his own in when his wonderful bundles of joy decided to do running leaps onto he and Namjoon, bouncing all over the bed until their fathers were awake.

"Wake up Dads!" Yoongi and Hoseok screamed.

"Five more minutes," Namjoon whined, but he was smiling anyway, and Taehyung poked him in the dimple.

"Why do we have to wake up?" Seokjin asked his children. Saturdays were supposed to mean sleeping in.

"Because we're awake," Yoongi shrugged, and the dads sighed in mutual defeat.

"And we want breakfast!" Jimin giggled.

"I guess that means I should make breakfast," Seokjin said, and he tried his hardest to get out of bed with two children draped across him like socks.

"I'll help you," Namjoon said, and he also tried to get up.

"Us too!" Taehyung exclaimed, and Jimin laughed.

"Come on, to the kitchen, I'll be there in a minute," Seokjin promised, and the boys ran to the kitchen in a jumble of tiny limbs and messy, floppy hair.

"I'm surprised they didn't wake the baby," Namjoon breathed a sigh of relief, looking fondly into the crib next to the bed at the newest addition to the Kim family, an eight-month old Jeongguk sleeping soundly, for once.

"I am too. I almost don't want to wake him up to feed him, seeing as this is the only time he's slept through the night, ever," Seokjin said, exhaustion creeping into his voice as he walked over to the crib.

"It kind of makes me proud as a father to know that he has the ability to sleep through the night," Namjoon said, joining Seokjin and slinging an arm around his shoulder. Seokjin leaned his head against Namjoon's shoulder and sighed.

"We have five kids," Seokjin said.

"You're right," Namjoon commented, and Seokjin looked at him incredulously.

"We have five kids. That's so many," Seokjin said absently.

"We had fun making them, though," Namjoon said fondly, as if recounting memories.

"That we did," Seokjin said just as fondly, and Namjoon bent down to capture his lips in a kiss before they were interrupted by four hungry boys screaming from the kitchen for the to hurry up.

-

"What's for breakfast, Daddy Jin?" Taehyung asked the second their fathers padded into the kitchen on sock feet.

"What do you want?" Seokjin asked him, and all four boys looked at each other mischievously.

"Blueberry pancakes!" they all screamed at once, including Namjoon, and Seokjin laughed so hard his sides began to hurt.

"Okay, blueberry pancakes it is," he said, followed by five sets of cheers.

Seokjin gathered up the pancake mix, Yoongi grabbed milk from the refrigerator, Hoseok grabbed the eggs, Taehyung conjured up butter somehow, and Jimin got a bowl and mixing spoons with help. Namjoon dug into the refrigerator for blueberries, the star ingredient, and set them on the counter. He reached high up to reach the griddle on top of the cabinets, higher than little arms could reach despite trying, and they were set to make pancakes.

Seokjin measured everything before unceremoniously dumping it into the bowl and letting each boy have their turn at mixing it up. Yoongi and Hoseok proved to be epxpert mixers while the younger, mischievous twins enjoyed painting each other with the batter, thus getting themselves removed from mixing duty.

After the batter was thoroughly mixed, the bowl and spoon was passed to Namjoon, because he had a strange natural talent for making Mickey Mouse shapes out of the batter on the griddle. Once the pancakes were sizzling on the griddle, the signal went up that it was now okay to ask their fathers whatever came to their young minds.

 

"Hey, Daddy Jin, Daddy Joon, where's the baby?" Taehyung asked while his twin stared at the pancakes hoping it would make them cook faster.

"He's asleep," Seokjin said.

"Well, you should wake him up and bring him in here," Taehyung said adamantly.

"I think we should let him sleep," Namjoon said.

"But I love him," Taehyung puffed his cheeks.

Seokjin ruffled Taehyung's hair, before answering, "He'll be awake to play later, baby. I promise."

Taehyung accepted that as an answer and began to watch the pancakes like a hawk with the rest of his brothers. Seokjin found it so cute how quickly Taehyung had taken up with his youngest brother. He was always there to "help" Seokjin and Namjoon take care of baby Jeongguk, such a sweet older brother.

"When will the pancakes be done?" Yoongi asked.

"In just a bit," Seokjin answered.

Comfortable silence settled in before someone inevitably broke it.

"Are we ever going to get a sister?" Hoseok asked, followed by Jimin yelling "Sister!"

Seokjin looked at Namjoon, who bounced his eyebrows up and down suggestively.

"Why not?" Hoseok asked, frowning.

"Yeah, why not? I think a sister is a great idea," Namjoon said, frowning just as deep, if not more so, as Hoseok.

"Daddy Jin's baby-making factory is closed down," Seokjin said, mainly to Namjoon.

"Factory?" Hoseok asked.

.

"Yep. I have a baby making factory in my body," Seokjin explained vaguely, hoping that worked.

"So how are the babies made in there?" Hoseok asked.

Of course it didn't work.

"I know! I know!" Yoongi said suddenly, and Seokjin was somewhat grateful, but also terrified at what was about to come out of his five-year-old's mouth.

"Tell us, then" Namjoon said.

"Well, it all starts when Daddy Joon kisses Daddy Jin on the lips, and then Daddy Jin gets real fat for a while, I guess because the baby factory has to grow big enough to make the baby, and one day, the baby comes, and then Daddy Jin isn't fat anymore," Yoongi said, very proud of himself.

"That's pretty spot on," Namjoon said, and Seokjin slapped him with a rag that was laying out on the counter.

"I do not get fat," Seokjin pouted.

"There's just more of my cute Seokjin to love," Namjoon said, and then he kissed Seokjin on the lips, a quick, tender kiss.

"Awesome! Daddy Joon kissed Daddy Jin on the lips! Now we're going to have a sister!" Hoseok exclaimed, and he high-fived Yoongi.

"I just want pancakes," Jimin grumbled.

"Me too, Jimin-ah. Me, too," Seokjin said, before flipping the pancakes on the griddle.

Namjoon decided to slink his arms around Seokjin's waist and lean his head against the older man's shoulder, nuzzling his nose into Seokjin's neck.

"What're you doing," Seokjin asked, suspicious of Namjoon and mindful of the children.

"Lovin' you," he answered, leaving light kisses on Seokjin's neck just as the sound of crying came from the baby monitor they kept on top of the microwave.

"Jeongguk's awake!" Taehyung said cheerfully and Namjoon left the kitchen to go get him. He returned with a sniffling, squirmy baby in his arms.

"Someone looks hungry," he grinned, and handed him to a waiting Seokjin so he could find the formula to make Jeonguuk a bottle.

Seokjin flipped the pancakes again, balancing Jeongguk in one arm, and he moved the pancakes to the plate next to the griddle, because they were done and burnt pancakes would be gross. Namjoon returned with a freshly made bottle for the baby, and Seokjin passed him over so he could grab enough plates and forks for everyone. And, Yoongi got the syrup while Hoseok fetched the whipped cream for the pancakes, because they were helpful like that. When every boy had a pancake on their plate, smothered in syrup and covered in whipped cream, they dug in while Seokjin turned the griddle off and Namjoon finished feeding the baby.

Seokjin ate his pancake quickly before passed him Jeongguk so he could burp him while Namjoon ate his own breakfast. The boys waited patiently for their parents to finish eating so they could wash dishes and then play. There was a toy firetruck in the living room just calling Yoongi's name.

They washed their dishes quickly and were dismissed to go play while Namjoon cleaned teh griddle and Seokjin bounced the baby on his knee.

"You're a bouncy baby, huh?" Seokjin cooed at Jeongguk, causing the baby to giggle.

"I know somebody else who's a bouncy baby," Namjoon said suggestively, bouncing his eyebrows and walking over to his youngest son and his other half.

"Shush, not in front of the baby," Seokjin scolded, and Namjoon took a seat on one of the wooden kitchen chairs next to Seokjin.

"I think we should give the boys a sister," Namjoon said, and he tickled Jeongguk's belly, making the baby giggle like crazy.

"And I think you need to let me rest," Seokjin said exhaustedly, and Namjoon laughed.

"Fair enough," he said, and he leaned over to kiss Seokjin's cheek.

Taehyung trudged into the kitchen then, a rare shy look on his face, and said, "I think you guys should bring the baby into the living room."

"What do you think, Jeongguk?" Seokjin asked, bouncing the baby again, making him squeal in delight.

"I think he wants to go in the living room," Namjoon said, and Taehyung grinned.

"Let's go!" he said, and Seokjin and Namjoon were up on their feet to follow Taehyung into the living room to play.

-

After a while, the boys were tiring out and Yoongi's firetruck was turning into a blur of red and "wee-woo, wee-woo" siren noises. Taehyung and Jimin had fallen asleep already, with Jimin resting with his head on Taehyung's belly. Hoseok was trying his best to keep playing, but he was running out of adventures for his superhero action figures to go on. And as for Yoongi, well, he had fallen asleep on his firetruck in seconds, exhausted from a long morning of saving citizens.

Seokjin and Namjoon noticed their sleeping boys in the floor and smiled. They got up off the couch to take them to their bedrooms to sleep, with Namjoon scooping up Yoongi and Seokjin picking up Jimin with one arm, Jeongguk balanced on his hip. Once they came back for the other two and all for boys were tucked in snug as a bug, Namjoon and Seokjin collapsed back onto the couch, the baby beginning to close his eyes, too.

"It's been a good day," Namjoon said, his arms wrapped around Seokjin.

"But the day's only half over," Seokjin reminded him, whispering, because a now-sleeping Jeongguk was curled up into his chest.

"So pessimistic," Namjoon teased.

"Not pessimistic. Just stating facts. But, yes, it has been a good day," Seokjin agreed.

Namjoon smiled, a peaceful kind of smile, and said, "We should clean. This living room is a disaster."

"I know. But I don't want to move. The kids can clean it up when they wake up. That's what we had kids for: to clean," Seokjin said, and Namjoon chuckled softly.

"But don't you only need one kid to clean?" Namjoon asked, teasing.

"Yeah, but I didn't want Yoongi to be lonely, so we had Hoseok," Seokjin explained.

"What about the twins?" Namjoon asked.

"Buddies for the older boys," Seokjin said vaguely.

"And how about Jeongguk here?" Namjoon asked, his voice playful.

"We had this precious little thing because I was looking good and you couldn't keep your hands off me," Seokjin teased and Namjoon laughed.

"But you're always looking good," he said, pinching Seokjin's cheek.

"Shut up," Seokjin huffed.

"But it's true. You haven't even brushed your hair today and you're still, like, the cutest thing I've ever seen," Namjoon said with so much honesty that it made Seokjin blush, and Seokjin never blushed anymore.

Namjoon took Seokjin's blush as a victory and let silence settle over them for a while. Silence was good, too. They could listen to the miracles they had made breathing softly from the other rooms, and there was a certain comfort in knowing how each child slept. They knew Yoongi slept spread out under the covers, his arms and legs all over the place. Hoseok slept curled in a ball, like a kitten. The twins had their own, seperate beds in their rooms, but they would always end up sleeping in just one bed, always.

And that was comforting.