First Day of School!

Our Perfectly Imperfect Family

Bowls of cereal were scattered all over the kitchen table, each one with a different boy behind it. Most of the boys were absolutely ecstatic as today was the first day of school of the year. Each of them would be starting a new grade, and they got to stay in the same school as each other, except for one. That meant they would get to see each other sometimes in the hallways and play with each other at recess. All the boys were very excited, save for Jungkook.

 

Jungkook had made it very clear for the past month that he did not want to go to school. So far throughout the last year, after everyone else had gone to school during the school year, he had gotten to stay home and be Daddy Jin’s baby and helper. He got to have much relished alone time with his father and he enjoyed that. Now, not only would he not get that time, but he would be in a different school away from his brothers, too. And he had to wear a dumb shirt that matched everyone else. Plus it was green. Yuck.

 

“Come on boys, or we’ll be late,” Namjoon called out after breakfast as the boys were gathering up their shoes and putting them on.

 

“Coming!” They all hollered at once, and feet came thudding in one by one to the front door. Each boy was looking very polished and happy to be there and were ready to go to school and see their friends. All but one.

 

Seokjin had all the boys line up for a picture. Everyone was smiling except for Jungkook, who had his arms crossed and a big scowl on his face.

 

“I don’t care that one is frowning, I’m still posting this. Hella likes,” Seokjin grinned and put his phone away to be able to give each boy a kiss.

 

“I’m not going,” Jungkook said for the tenth time that morning.

 

“Yes, you are,” Namjoon told him. He took his small hand and placed it in Seokjin’s. “You’re going to walk to school with Daddy Jin while I take everyone else on my way to work.” Namjoon knew Jungkook needed this time with his father, especially since he was so used to getting it and now it was going to be taken away.

 

Jungkook scowled again while Taehyung patted him reassuringly on the back. “Don’t worry man. You’ll get to use crayons and learn to count. It’s great.”

 

“You hear that, bud? It’s great,” Seokjin smiled and squeezed his hand. He opened the front door and said a final goodbye to the boys before he lead Jungkook in an opposite direction while Namjoon walked with them to their school.

 

  1. on their walk, Seokjin tried to ease Jungkook’s mind about school. He could tell the boy was on the verge of tears and he wasn’t far from crying, himself. Sure, he had done this four times before but it never got easier to drop your child off for their first day of kindergarten. Plus, this was his baby.

 

When they arrived at the school gates, Jungkook burst into tears and started tugging on his father’s sleeve, shaking his head and planting his heels in the ground. “I can’t! I can’t do it!” Seokjin stopped and squatted low to be on his son’s eye-level. He wiped away his tears to comfort him.

 

“It’ll be okay. I know you’re scared, but as soon as you get in there and see how fun it is, you’ll wonder why you were even upset in the first place. Plus,” he began, knowing his son was very self-conscious about his school shirt, “you look very handsome, bud.”

 

Jungkook sniffled as he listened to his father’s words. He wiped his eyes and looked the school from the gates. His lower lip quivered but he stood tall and wiped his eyes. He marched up to the school gates and stood at them. “I can do this, Daddy Jin, you’re right.” He turned back towards the gates before turning around one last time. “But for your info, I can’t look handsome. I’m wearing green.”

 

-

 

After walking back home, Seokjin wondered what he was going to with an empty house. He supposed he could clean it, but it felt strange without having a single helper to help him clean. He started off with dusting the living room, because it was a mess. He swept his duster across the television screen and over the ceiling fan. Next he started working on the pictures. He cleaned the one of his and Namjoon’s wedding day and looked on it with fondness. He remembered like it was yesterday. They were all dressed up in suits, a white one for Seokjin, a black one for Namjoon, and a tiny blue one for baby Yoongi, since he had gotten there before the wedding date was scheduled to be.

 

He moved on to the next picture. A picture of himself and his parents, smiling on his tenth birthday. They looked so prim and polished. He smiled again and moved on down the line. He dusted picture after picture, and none of them affected him until he got to the photo of all his boys sitting on the couch making goofy faces, except for Hoseok, who had lost his first tooth. This was just two years ago, but they all looked so tiny, especially the twins and his little Jungkook. It was seeing this picture that finally broke him. He put his duster down and finally had himself a good cry for the rest of the day until it was time to pick up the boys.

 

-

 

After everyone was picked up at the end of the day and Namjoon had come home from work, it was time for everyone to discuss their first day of school over dinner. Hoseok spoke up first.

 

“I was told we would not be finger painting this year. I’m not into it,” he shook his head, crossing his arms over his chest. His older brother was quick to comfort him.

 

“Don’t worry, little man,” that was Yoongi’s new thing, calling his brothers ‘little man’, “you’ll get used to the knowledge and then you’ll love it.” His eyes were wide as he spoke.

 

“What about you, boys?” Namjoon asked the twins.

 

“We had to be in different classrooms!” Taehyung shouted, appalled.

 

“Yeah! I asked my teacher why and she said we had to learn inyvidualitee. I told her that I didn’t want any idyuvidyalitee, I just wanted my brother. She told me to sit down.” Jimin huffed. Namjoon had to hold back a laugh.

 

“I think it’s ‘individuality’, son. And it might be okay for you two to be apart during the days. At least you get to see each other after school.” Namjoon pointed out.

 

 

“I guess,” they both rolled their eyes and took a bite of food.

 

Seokjin noted that sometimes twins are scary. He turned his attention to Jungkook, who had been silent throughout dinner. “How was your day, bud?”

 

Jungkook looked around the room at the faces full of anticipation for what he was going to say. He took a breath before lighting up. “It was awesome! My class has a pet hamster named Sawdust and we get to color with crayons and my teacher said we would get to learn how to count and the alphabet and how to spell some things and that we’ll definitely get to finger paint!” He was nearly jumping off his seat. Seokjin was happy for him. His brothers were satisfied even though they knew he’d have fun.

 

“I’m glad you like it. So are you ready to go back?” Namjoon asked him.

 

Jungkook thought about it for a moment. “Yeah. I’ll go back. But I’m not ready to wear green again.”

-

Hi friends! It's been like, three years, I think since I've updated this fic. So I decided to leave a short little chapter here, going back in time just a bit from the progression in previous chapters. I hope you enjoy!