019

Duplicity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Outside of Sohee's window, snow is falling in giant chunks. The rest of the city was starting to look like it was a sea of white. It was close to midnight when she heard a knock on her door. "Unnie..." Hye Rim stuck her head into her room with a careful expression. Their parents are out of town for a funeral and it was just the two of them that night. "You're not asleep yet?" Sohee asked as Hye Rim climbed onto her bed. The little girl shook her head. She must be in one of those moods,  Sohee thought. She and Hye Rim have always been close and to be honest, she doesn't mind the company. Even though most things in her life went back to normal, everything somehow felt less than what they used to be. Her days felt emptier. Her routines felt duller. And it was getting harder and harder to pretend like she doesn't know why.

"Do you miss Jiyong oppa?"

The question didn't take her by surprise like she thought it would and she nodded her head without much hesitation.

Hye Rim scooted closer and lied down on one side of the bed, as if she's trying to comfort Sohee who was leaning against the headboard. "Can I sleep here tonight?" Hye Rim asked after getting under the blanket. Sohee nodded and patted her head gratefully.

Later that night, when she felt tears threatening to fall, she closed her eyes tight and hugged Hye Rim who snuggled closer, as if telling her that everything's going to be okay.

***

It's Valentine's Day, and the school is buzzing with excitement as various decorations were put up. For the week leading up to the 14th, National High was littered with pink and heart-shaped things "Ugh... this is disgusting," Krystal muttered when they walked past a giant poster advertising a Valentine's Day Messenger service that the student council is organising. "What do you mean? You were so happy when Minhyuk sent you one of those last year," said Sohee. "Yeah, but don't you think it's inconsiderate for people who are single to put up all these decorations?" Krystal began her tirade. Sohee immediately knew what she was trying to do and she smiled gratefully at that. "You're the best, Krys, do you know that?" she said before they parted ways in front of Chemistry class.

Halfway through the class, someone wearing a pink suit knocked on the door and walked in with a giant basket. "Hello, everyone. The love messenger is here!" he announced merrily, eliciting responses that varied from a groan to an excited yelp. He began calling out different names and handing the person a bouquet of flower with various things attached to it. Sohee looked out the window instead as she waited for the messenger to leave, not really looking forward to witnessing indirect declarations of love. Even though she has managed to stop crying at the thought of Jiyong, it doesn't mean that she's in good terms with love and all its affiliates.

"Ahn Sohee?"

Sohee turned around and was surprised to find many eyes staring at her as the messenger strolled towards her with a bouquet of red rosebuds with what looked like an envelope attached to it. She muttered a quiet thanks as she examined the white envelope with her name written on the front. When her teacher was writing something on the whiteboard, she quickly opened the envelope and scanned the letter to find the name of the sender of on the bottom and her heart dropped.

***

Sohee has yet another thing to add to the list of things that schools need to teach: how to confront someone who had just written you a love letter.

"Go over there right now and kiss him!" Owen answered when she asked hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter