001

Duplicity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ahn Sohee didn't know what to expect when her mum told her that she would be enrolling in National High, the most prestigious (and expensive) school in Korea. Her dad had just sold his algorithm to Samsung and is now the lead engineer at the company. She was proud of her dad, of course - but his success felt like just another day for her and her family. The Ahns didn't move from their residence in Hyewa and her dad still drives his old Hyundai Elantra. So virtually nothing changed for her until she stepped into the halls of National High. She saw girls lugging Botega Venetta and heard chatters about their latest shopping escapades. The boys chatted of expensive car brands that Sohee has never even heard of and she was left wondering if she's actually Dorothy and had just stepped into the strange (and branded) land of Oz. What am I doing here? was the first question that came to mind that day, but Sohee willed herself to keep going at this new school.

"How was Jiyeon's birthday party last weekend?"

"It was kind of embarassing. You can tell she didn't shell out the minimum."

"Serious?"

"Probably just under 75k* USD."

Cue another series of loud gasps.

If Sohee was drinking water, she would be spraying it out all over herself because of the conversation she just overhead (except that she wouldn't actually do that because she'd be mortified of what her new classmates would think of her). Spending 75,000 USD on a birthday party? she thought, That's more than my family ever spent on anything in our lifetime thus far. But that was just the first among many instances where Sohee realised how truly out on the left field she is in this community of people. And each time, it felt like a little slap on the cheek.

You're not a part of this world, Sohee. You never will be.

***

"Okay class. You're dismissed. Don't forget to work on your group presentations!" Mr. Ken, our business teacher, reminded us over the sound of chairs being pushed out and bags being packed as students zipped out of the classroom. Sohee remained in her seat as she took her time in packing her things. "So... do you wanna... meet this weekend to work on this?" she looked up to ask her group mate, Hyuna, about their group's Power Point that wasn't finished. "No. Let's just work on it via email. Bye!" Hyuna quickly answered and left, leaving Sohee alone in the classroom with Mr. Ken who was focused on his computer. Hyuna's short response was normal for Sohee as she was used to being the girl that everyone just sort of knows.

Two years had passed since she moved to National High and Sohee now feels more comfortable being in school. Her friend Krystal is the one to thank because Sohee would probably have transferred out by the end of the first year if it wasn't for Krystal helping her navigate through the complicated and strange norm of the school community. She no longer dreaded coming to school and she doesn't hate it more than any other high schoolers hate school. But she was far from being the 'it' girl of the school and she frankly enjoyed her relatively quiet school life. She would spend most of her day in school and then at home where she helps around the house and does homework. Krystal would come over to do homework together or just to chat, and they'd have their routinely scheduled sleepovers. 

Watching Hyuna, the undeniably popular girl in the school, walk away towards her locker where her boyfriend is probably waiting at, Sohee wondered how it would feel like to have your crush like you back. Sohee had just barely toyed with the idea of dating when she was transferred to National High and she immediately had no time to even think about her love life as she adjusted to the new world. So at the age of 17 and graduating high school in ten months, Ahn Sohee has never dated anyone before. But this doesn't mean that she doesn't nurse crushes. The student body president, Nichkhun Horvejkul, have been her cru

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter