015

Duplicity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It is guaranteed that by January, there is only one thing that National High students would be talking about: the service trip. Sohee first heard about it last year when she heard that the that year's service trip went to hell because everyone got dysentery from the food in one of the villages where they were doing their service in Laos. Everyone came back looking haggard, pale, and pissed but the idea of travelling abroad had excited her. She's never been anywhere outside of Korea because the Ahns weren't well to do enough to afford those kind of trips and once they do have the money, her parents were too busy.

Naturally, when she admitted this to Jiyong, he was flabbergasted. "Even to Japan?" he asked during lunch. She shook her head, munching on the french fries. She knew he didn't mean it that way but she couldn't help but to feel her old insecurities overtaking her. She's acutely aware of how different she is from her peers in this school. She doesn't carry a $10,000 bag and doesn't ride the latest model in cars - she rode the subway, for crying out loud. Even though her family has recently acquired some money that would allow her to get her own car, she doesn't because all this wealth actually makes her uncomfortable. But that's something that even Krystal can't relate to as her best friend. And Jiyong's status as one of the wealthiest ones in the school makes it even more impossible for him to understand her circumstances. The old Sohee would have just shriveled away in a corner at the realisation of this but this Sohee wants to burst into tears instead.

"So I'll be your first?" he asked, his cheeks reddening the moment the words left his mouth. It took a beat before he began to smile mischeviously. Sohee, completely distracted by her own mortification, asked, "Wha.. what?"

"Your first travel buddy! Geez.. Sohee. What were you thinking?" he , laughing at the sight of her red hot cheeks. She looked away to hide her embarrassment when Jiyon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter