Chapter 7

Mechanical

"And here's the water," Minseok said as he set the glass down. Jongdae nodded in thanks, and immediately downed the whole glass. He just couldn't get over the terrible taste of the tar-like substance that replaced food in his world, so he was grateful for the subsiding of it. After he finished, he slammed the glass on the table triumphantly, as usual.

 

What was unusual was the uncertainty that rested in the pit of his stomach. Today, he could add the next emotion, and he'd decided which it was going to be. In fact, his apprehension was caused by his choice, but he did not change it. For some reason, his instincts told him this was the best way to go.

 

He stood up, looking Minseok in the eyes and trying to ignore the guilt that was itching at him, threatening to change his mind.

 

"Okay, are you ready?" he asked gently.

 

Though Minseok's electric blue eyes clouded with nerves, he nodded surely, and turned around to walk to the basement door. Jongdae followed him there and down the steps quietly, watching with an unsure expression as Minseok trotted over shakily to the table and laid himself down.

 

He approached him carefully, and upon seeing the same glazed over expression that he'd seen before, he once again reached out to squeeze Minseok's precious hand in his.

 

"You'll be alright," he promised, though his voice was not full of confidence.

 

But Minseok's new trusting nature was triggered, and though he was gripping Jongdae like a lifeline, he murmured, "I know." He let his eyelids shut, a deep exhale flowing out from his lips, and Jongdae took it as a silent sign that he was okay to turn him off.

 

His finger drifted up and slowly pressed down on the button, the blue light flickering out. He frowned down at the unmoving robot. Why was he installing this one so early on? Doubts trickled in once more, but he tried his best to ignore them.

 

Hours passed. This emotion took him longer as there was a more detailed physical reaction than the last he'd added. He supposed that maybe he was spending so much time on the intricacy of this one because he felt it so often himself.

 

When he finally finished, the sun had long since sunken out of sight, and he was yawning in exhaustion.

 

But despite his sleepiness, his thoughts were grinding in his head. To know he'd done this right, he'd be trapping himself in between undesirable choices. Every option that crossed his mind just seemed cruel, unwarranted, undeserved. His head was beginning to hurt, and he decided he was just going to have to get over it. Finally, he picked his poison, his mind totally forgetting that Minseok didn't have the capability to hold a grudge.

 

He shook his head, sighing to himself as he reached forward and pressed the button. Minseok's eyes flicked open, sitting up steadily with more relaxed eyes.

 

"Minseok," he addressed him, face nervous. The robot turned himself so he was sitting on the edge of the table like a child at the doctor's. "Yes, sir?" he replied obediently, expression expectant.

 

"I have...something I need to tell you," he began. There was a dread sinking into him; he didn't want to do this. Minseok just nodded, waiting for Jongdae to speak. He could sense the nerves coming off of his taller companion, and so he tried to keep a calm demeanor as to not make him worry even more.

 

"You see, I'm..." Jongdae trailed off, biting his lip, and Minseok shifted a little bit in his spot.

 

"Is there something wrong, sir?" he tried, eyes narrowing in a way that made his stunning pupils look as if they were shining with protective instinct. Jongdae looked at the floor; he didn't want to face him. Why did he feel so guilty?

 

He tried to throw away his hesitation; he was going to do it, no matter how terrible it made him feel.

 

"I'm...leaving."

 

Silence.

 

Long silence.

 

"L-Leaving?" Minseok stuttered, voice quivering and face dropping into an expression that Jongdae couldn't bare to look at.

 

"Yes."

 

"Why?" Minseok asked weakly, eyes wide.

 

"Because I don't want you anymore."

 

Minseok's hollow gaze drifted to the ground, and suddenly, it happened. At any other time, he would have been confused, but his system was fogged in this moment as tears began to roll down his face, and he wore a wincing expression. He raised his head up again to find Jongdae looking at him, but he was only a blurry image.

 

"I'm sorry for anything that I did wrong, sir," he murmured, hearing his voice shake. "I didn't mean to."

 

Almost immediately, Jongdae shook his head rapidly. "It's not real, Minseok. It's not true, I'm not leaving you," he blurted out.

 

"What?" Minseok hiccuped.

 

"I just said that because I needed to test your emotion. I'm so sorry," he admitted, the guilt stabbing at him like needles all over his body.

 

Minseok's eyes were still extremely wide, but he exhaled in relief.

 

"Please don't do that again," he breathed innocently, blinking, wiping away the tears and sniffling as he slid off the table and somewhat clumsily onto his feet.

 

"I won't," Jongdae promised, stepping forward and wrapping his arms around Minseok's small frame. The robot stood still, confused once more. "Sir?..." he mumbled, the uncertainty and fragile tone still clear in his voice.

 

"This is a hug," Jongdae told him, tightening his hold just slightly. "It's kind of like holding hands in a way, but it's a little different."

 

"Oh." Minseok raised his arms up tentatively, winding them around so his hands ran up Jongdae's back, making a chill run through the taller.

 

Why are his hands warm? Maybe Luhan did more than I thought he did.

 

"I like this," Minseok decided in a small voice, nuzzling his head into Jongdae's neck slightly. His breath hushed across the skin, and Jongdae smiled softly. "Me too."

 

They truly fit together like pieces of a puzzle.

 

And Jongdae just couldn't ignore it.

 

After a long, long time, Jongdae realized that Minseok's breathing was extremely steady, and he barely made a sound.

 

He had fallen asleep.

 

As gently as he could, he used his hold on Minseok to sit him back down on the table. He then slid an arm under both of his legs, and turned so the other was around the smaller's torso, under his arms.

 

"You're so cute," he whispered to the sleeping Minseok, blowing a little bit of air on his face playfully. His nose scrunched in his sleep, and he took a deep breath. Jongdae almost giggled out loud, but restrained himself as he slowly made his way to the edge of the basement, and up the stairs.

 

He managed to get to the living room without pulling the robot from his peaceful state, and he sighed in relief as he set him down on the couch. Minseok snuggled himself into the cushions endearingly.

 

All of his habits, mannerisms, cute and quirky little things - Jongdae was now realizing, as much as he loved each one, that many of them were there because of the work Luhan had done when he was still alive.

 

It made him curious. How could the inventor have created something so precious and fascinating, and not been in the same position as Jongdae? How did his heart not break? How did he not fall for someone who may never love him back?

 

What was his secret?

 

In some way or another, Jongdae was determined to find out.

 

---

 

Kinda short but yeah. Did I sCARE ANYONE AT THE PART WHERE HE SAID HE WAS LEAVING BECAUSE I TOTALLY DIDNT MEAN TO DEFINITELY HahHhHhahahhA. I'm so bad. Bye. Forgive me. Anyways, I hope you liked it. See you soon! c: