Chapter 4

Mechanical

Jongdae took a deep breath. It was a few days later, and he was adding the first emotion today. He had decided on fear, perhaps because he felt it would be very easy to test.

 

He was sitting down in one of the couches, leaning back into the cushion with his eyes on Minseok, who was sleeping peacefully on the couch again. Jongdae had asked him the day before if he had a bed, and he had explained to him that he did, but he preferred the couch.

 

Jongdae thought it was odd, but somehow sort of cute. He had always liked the little quirks he found when he met new people. His eyes drifting to the cool morning through the window, he was helping himself realize the fact that this is the last morning Minseok would be this version of himself. After a long time alone, Luhan's biggest project would finally be finished. Though Minseok couldn't even feel loneliness, he felt sympathetic towards him.

 

He heard that already familiar deep inhale, and his head turned to the waking robot. "Good morning, Minseok," he offered softly.

 

Immediately, Minseok sat up. "Good morning, sir," he replied blankly. One of his eyebrows lifted slightly as he noticed something. "Were you sitting out here with me, sir?" he questioned.

 

Jongdae nodded, an embarrassed pink dancing across his cheeks. Minseok just nodded in response, and Jongdae's hand raised up and started to scratch at his collarbones like he did when he felt nerves.

 

"Please refrain from doing that, sir," Minseok scolded. "It's probably sensitive from where I fixed you up." Jongdae felt slightly taken aback at the response, and the hint of unfamiliar sternness in Minseok's voice, until he realized that it was the responsibility Luhan had added being put into action.

 

He let his hand drop, eyes still a little wide. Though he knew what had happened, it was odd to hear the emotion in Minseok's voice.

 

"I'm adding fear today," Jongdae told him, trying to raise the confidence in his voice. He couldn't sound so pitiful all the time. "Alright," Minseok replied, standing up and staring at Jongdae, giving off an expectant vibe.

 

"Now?" Jongdae asked, timid again. He was conflicted; he wanted Minseok to be finished, but he was scared he would make a mistake. "Only if that's convenient for you, sir," Minseok told him.

 

He hadn't been planning on doing it right after he'd woken up, but now that he thought about it, getting it over with would probably be better.

 

They walked to the basement, Jongdae's stomach churning. Minseok hopped up on the table again without any hesitation, laying flat on his back. "Alright, sir. Whenever you're ready to begin."

 

Jongdae swallowed hard, and nodded, knowing that if he tried to talk now, it wouldn't work out too well. Minseok shut his eyes, arms relaxed at his sides. After a minute or so, Jongdae found it in him to turn Minseok off.

 

The robot completely relaxed, and just like before, his breathing stopped, leaving everything silent, and more intense than the first time. Jongdae, trying to reassure himself, opened him up. "Alright, let's just get this over with," he whispered to himself.

 

And so he dove in. He knew the center of the project, which was changing his body so it would react to things the same way humans did, appropriately paired with each emotion.

 

So for fear; the adrenaline, the shaking voice and hands, the fogginess of the mind. Keeping in mind not to overdo the sensitivity of the emotion, he got to work, losing himself in that comforting familiarity of each shining piece of metal, coated with such realistic skin.

 

His brain had completely gone on holiday, not even realizing the amount of time that had passed by. When he finally felt satisfied, having put an unbelievable amount of detail into him, he put down all of his tools and slowly, cautiously closed the little door on the robot's chest. He gathered all of his courage, and with shaking hands of his own, he pressed the blue button.

 

Minseok's eyelids slowly rose, and when they did, those glowing blue eyes greeted him once again. "Hello, sir," Minseok murmured, and a small sigh of relief left Jongdae's lips. "Hello, Minseok," he responded.

 

They sat in silence for a moment or two, and the air seemed so still. "Are we going upstairs, sir?" Minseok prompted. Jongdae simply nodded slowly, with eyes still lost in what was becoming, in part, a creation of his own.

 

Minseok stood, and in the end Jongdae was the one following him up the stairs. Only when they reached the middle floor did Jongdae realize just how late it had become. It was dark, the dark that floated around outside his bedroom window, and he briefly wondered just how many hours it had been.

 

But the thought quickly dissolved, replaced by an idea. He saw that in the dim glow of the moonlight outside, it would be very hard to tell how far he was from the edge of the drop off about fifty feet away. It would be better to startle Minseok than to just stroll out as well.

 

He followed Minseok out into the living room area, the short robot sitting down, taking his time a little more than usual. Jongdae began to do the same, beginning to settle down into the couch, but before he was completely down in the coushions, he sprung onto his feet and sprinted out the door. The cool, misty air hit his face, and he continued to run at the pace that alarmed even himself. Just as a bit of doubt was starting to spark in his mind, he heard the sound he was waiting for behind him.

 

"Sir, please stop!" Minseok called out from the doorway, and Jongdae felt a chill travel through his body at the panic in his voice. He abruptly stopped about three feet from the edge. He'd done it.

 

Fear; check.

 

---

Idk what to say here. He did it though omg yay. Hope you liked it, tell me your opinions in the comments ~ See you soon! :D