Chapter 3

Mechanical

All of the questions that had filled his mind when he'd first awoken ceased to matter to him as he laid in bed that night.

He was going to finish Minseok. No matter what, he was going to finish him.

The thoughts just wouldn't let him sleep, and he looked out at the window at the dim forest, a gloomy sort of peacefulness floating along with the moon glowing through the trees.

He was such a detached person, so he was completely lost as to why he had already started to feel like Minseok was so important to him. He rarely felt this way about the actual human beings he knew, let alone a machine.

But Minseok didn't feel like a machine. He felt like a person. A person that Jongdae already cared too much about.

*****

"What is this?" he asked Minseok, a look of confusion and slight disgust in his eyes. He was holding a glass up to the light that was filled with something that looked absolutely foul; with a mucky brown and thick texture, it looked like it could be tar with different coloration.

"I'd suggest just drinking it, sir. Make it quick," Minseok advised. The questioning look Jongdae was sporting only intensified, but he pinched his nose, and did as Minseok told him.

The stuff was quite thick, but not as thick as he had expected it to be. He could most certainly say that it was disgusting, though. As he finally was finishing, a shiver ripped through his body.

He looked to Minseok for an explanation, eyes watering. "That is now your source of nutrition and energy, I'm afraid, sir. However, it lasts a long time, so you don't need to have it but once every three weeks. That's what Luhan did, at least."

Jongdae nodded, his mouth still plagued with the terrible taste. "Can I get some water?" he asked quickly.

"Yes, sir," Minseok replied, grabbing a glass off of the counter that was already filled to the top with the antidote for the awful taste. He handed it to Jongdae, slow enough not to spill it, and he chugged it down as soon as the brim of the glass touched his lips.

When he finished, he slammed the glass down on the table victoriously, smacking his lips and saying, "Done."

"You certainly are, sir," Minseok replied, lips not peaking up even a little. Jongdae frowned grumpily. If Minseok was going to smile, he was going to need to write happiness into his system. He wanted Minseok to smile.

He stood up, pushing in his chair to the small table that sat at the edge of the room. "Do you mind if I look at the way you're put together? It'll help me get an idea of what to do when I'm adding in more emotions."

"Do as you wish, sir," Minseok responded, nodding subtly. Jongdae began to walk towards the door to the basement at the answer, and Minseok followed. They stepped down the stairs to the basement, and once they were there, Minseok made his way to the operating table.

Jongdae walked over as Minseok laid down flat on his back without hesitation, undoing the button down shirt that he wore, and pointing at a button on the top of his chest.

"This is how you turn me off. This here," he explained, gesturing to a line traveling down from his right collarbone to his lower stomach, "This is where you can open me. There's a handle, as you can see here, so just pull that and you should be able to find everything you need."

Nodding Jongdae replied, "Okay, good. Thank you," and Minseok nodded again, laying his head back and closing his eyes.

Jongdae reached forward and pressed the little glowing blue button on Minseok's chest, and the humanoid robot's breathing ceased. It felt strange, having the power to just turn Minseok off, being able to easily make him unresponsive without harming him.

Jongdae followed his directions, taking the little handle on his right side to open him up and check out how he was made. Of course, this felt even stranger, but he pressed on.

As soon as he saw the inside, he wondered if it was really possible that Minseok was made as long ago as he made it sound. It all looked so brand new. A rush of satisfaction ran through him. He loved machines. Everything felt so familiar and comfortable somehow, like paints to a great artist.

With the able mind of an engineer, (which he certainly possessed, along with a fair bit of genius) it seemed like adding the emotions would be easy to do, though it might take a while. Adding one a week seemed like it would be appropriate.

After thoroughly observing to his satisfaction, he shut the opening on the robot's chest, and pressed the blue button.

For whatever reason, he felt himself relax a little bit when Minseok's luminous, ocean eyes flicked open once again.

"Did you find what you need, sir?" he asked, that oh so polite air filling his voice once again.

"I think we're all set."

---

Hi there! So I noticed I hadn't talked to you guys on this story. How is it? I came up with the idea trying to fall asleep one school night and spent the entire rest of the night planning it out rip me. The cover took me two hours omg. I'm really proud of it though c: Well, tell me what you all think in the comments! See you soon!