Chapter 2

Mechanical

The chills are almost painful on Jongdae's skin as the younger looking man's intense, glowing blue eyes stare directly back into his.

"You're awake," his soft voice comments. Jongdae tries to find useful words, but ends up just choking out, "Yeah."

The world stands still for what feels like a long time, and they remain frozen, eyes locked. It had been several minutes, and Jongdae's heartbeat still had not slowed down at all.

"Who are you?" Jongdae squeaked, still intimidated by the stranger's unique and stunning features.

But he just sat down calmly on an old fashioned couch, motioning for Jongdae to follow him in doing so on the chair across from him. Jongdae finally, reluctantly left the spot he had hidden in for an eternity to obey him, setting himself in the chair cautiously and never breaking eye contact with the mysterious boy.

"My name is Minseok, sir. You're probably wondering why you're here, and I can tell you. Through my window, I saw something abnormally large fall to the ground. So, out of curiosity, I went to see what it was. When I arrived, you were lying on the ground, and were obviously severely injured. So I took you here to treat you as there is no one else to do so. We are in the mountains after all, sir."

Jongdae turned his head to look out the window, seeing the place that he most likely fell from. He couldn't believe that this person had been able to save him after a fall from that height, but he was incredibly grateful.

"Thank you," he managed to tell him sincerely. Minseok nodded in acknowledgement, shutting his eyes momentarily to pair with it.

They continued to stare at each other. "Is something wrong, sir?" Minseok asked politely after a few long, silent moments. Jongdae almost said no, but it would be a lie.

"How exactly are your..." he trailed off, gesturing to his own eyes to signify he was talking about Minseok's. Minseok nodded steadily; he had been expecting his eyes to come up at some point, which means explaining something else.

"My eyes, yes. You see, sir, I am a robot. My creator loved blue eyes, so he gave me these," he explained, pointing to them.

Jongdae gaped at him. "You're...a robot?" he murmured slowly. How could a robot have cured him? And why did he seem so freakishly human?

"Yes, sir. My creator was trying to give me as many qualities of a real man as possible. His name was Luhan, and he designed me to breathe like a human, sleep like a human, talk, walk, all of the basic sensory details. He didn't design me to eat and drink though; I can produce food and water for my master but I do not eat or drink myself. Convenience, I presume. He was designing emotions for me when he died. He managed to add curiosity and responsibility to me before he passed."

The information hit Jongdae like a brick thrown at his chest. He had worked with machines for years now - he had always had an incredible aptitude for it - and a feeling of obligation started to steadily bubble inside of him.

Luckily, he had never had that much of a commitment to a certain place as his home, so making that place the cabin with Minseok wasn't going to be too hard for him. It's not like he had a way to get back home anyways.

"You know, I'm a machine expert myself. I could help finish you if you'd like," he offered to Minseok with nerves in his voice.

A chill seemed to travel through the air; Minseok had not ever spoken to, let alone had anyone work on him but his creator, but it had been a long time since he had passed, and it was about time Luhan's project was finished.

"Okay," Minseok agreed. "Should I show you his work space? You can get familiar with his tools before you start working on me."

Jongdae nodded in agreement, and as Minseok stood up he cautiously copied the action.

The short robot began to lead him to another staircase, but as his foot pressed down on the first step, no creaking sound was heard. Jongdae thought this was odd, but he shook the thought away, following him down into the basement.

When they reached the bottom, a huge experimentation area opened out in front of them. There was an operating table right in the center of the room, and various little stations scattered throughout. Jongdae noted that Minseok was obviously a very big deal at the sight of old projects strewn about the place, abandoned for the focus on the "robot with emotions".

He walked into the mess, beginning to pick up tools and study them, attempting to identify the use of each one.

"Do be cautious, sir," Minseok commented as Jongdae picked up one of the sharper of the tools to observe it. "Don't you worry about me," he mumbled back. From what he saw, he certainly had his work cut out for him, but the feeling of finishing something as big as this would no doubt trump the amount of toil it would require.

He was up for the challenge.