Chapter 12

Mechanical

Jongdae slid his fingers over both the back and cover of the journal, letting the pages fall open so he could search for the furthest point to which he'd previously read.

It was extremely windy that day, more than enough to keep him inside. Minseok, however, was currently out collecting food for Lu, and Jongdae would have offered to accompany him if he didn't get cold so easily.

Instead, he'd decided to look through the journal some more while the robot was out. After all, there was a possibility that he might find more about what happened to Minseok when he was a human.

He took his time so he could read thoroughly through each page, all of Luhan's feelings spilled out onto the lines in curly letters that made him seem far more innocent than Jongdae was figuring him out to be.

Oddly enough, it seemed as if he purposely avoided saying anything that had happened explicitly. He'd imply something, whether it was big or small (he did that a lot, actually) but he'd never come out and say what truly happened.

There were a few more pages he read through, discussing little things like Luhan had talked about in the videos, like breathing and dreaming and blinking, but after that, Jongdae found himself staring at blank paper, empty lines the only thing visible.

"What?" he muttered, confused. Nothing about him leaving? That seems a little weird. And unfortunately, Luhan didn't date his entries, so Jongdae didn't know if he'd stopped writing in the book a while before he'd left for good, or if he had just neglected to write down his decision.

It just seemed so odd; there was about a quarter of the book left, and it cut off so abruptly. Jongdae started to flip through the empty pages just to make sure, looking for any other note, or just something, even if it wasn't really of any importance.

And just after he was about to give up, but decided against it, he reached a page with writing on it.

The very last page of the entire book.

His eyebrows knitted together as he read the first words.

Minseok,

I was told by an old friend recently that maybe it would help me to write to you. I don't really know what's good for me anymore, but I suppose it can't hurt.

His lips dropped open. Something written to Minseok, the human Minseok. Or at least, that's what Jongdae assumed. It made him hopeful; maybe he could actually get some answers out of this. He read on with interest.

I wanted to tell you I'm sorry. For not paying attention, fore getting angry at you, for all those horrible things my dad said to you. You deserved so much better than that, and I guess I just was arrogant enough to think I could give it to you.

And I'll never stop loving you. I'll always love you, even if you did get confused sometimes, even if you did always fall asleep before the end when we watched movies together, even if you did have a habit of holding my hand so tight when you were scared that I thought it would go numb. Even if you're gone now.

I still can't believe I ruined everything. And all because I was scared to leave.

I can never apologize enough. Never. I should've realized that the only place I could ever belong was with you, but I didn't. I messed up.

And I don't think you'd want me to do what I'm doing, but it's the only thing that can make me happy again. I'm sorry. I can never belong anywhere else.

On January 17th, I'll see you again. Just take care till then, okay? I love you.

Luhan

Jongdae frowned. 

That was it. He'd reached the end of the journal, and he still didn't understand anything.

Damn it, Luhan. I'm not smart enough for all your metaphors and vagueness. Some people need things spelled out for them, you know?

Before he could have another thought, the sound of a door being opened rang out from downstairs, and he scrambled to his feet, shoving the book underneath clothes in the dresser again and shutting the drawer quickly.

He hurried as quietly as possible out of his room and then proceeded to make his way down the stairs, expecting to see Minseok in he living room when he reached the last one. He was about to start asking a question as he jogged down, but just as he opened his mouth, he reached the bottom of the stairs.

He halted before his sentence could even form, words caught in his throat, and he was completely frozen at the sight he found himself looking at. It was Minseok standing in the doorway with the basket that he'd left with, but something was very off.

He had another person with him.

It was a guy, and Jongdae thought he was probably about the same age as him, although he did look a little older. But that may have had something to do with the fact that he was tall, and had a jawline sharp enough to slit someone's throat. He also had incredibly strong-looking arms, and dark eyes that felt like they could stare right into your mind and watch your thoughts.

Jongdae probably would've been pretty intimidated by him if he hadn't been wincing. He probably would have been even more intimated by him if Minseok wasn't somehow giving him a piggy-back ride.

That guy is huge, and Minseok is anything but. How is he even managing?

The robot didn't stop to explain himself though, and it occurred to Jongdae just then that neither of the two had even noticed him yet, despite him standing in plain sight.

He inched backwards quietly, just so he was slightly in the shadows. Maybe he should observe for a moment before trying to say anything.

Minseok had brought the injured stranger over to the couch in pure obliviousness, careful as ever, and the stranger groaned quietly in pain as he slid off of Minseok's back and onto the couch.

Minseok gently took hold of his foot, adjusting its position and trying to make him as comfortable as possible. "Forgive me, sir. Does this feel a little better?" he asked as he angled the man's ankle a little differently, and a look of slight relief crossed the other's sharp face.

Jongdae wasn't going to lie to himself. It was a little weird, a little disheartening even to hear Minseok speak to someone else just like he would speak to him, but he pushed the thought away.

"Yeah, that's a little better. Thank you," said the man, and Jongdae did a double take at that, because damn was his voice low. "I'm sorry about all this."

"It's really not a problem," Minseok assured him. "Is there someone who can come get you? I can take care of you if not, but it would be ideal to put you in better care," he explained.

"I mean, I guess my girlfriend could," the stranger provided before trying to stifle another small hiss of pain. "It's gonna take her a while to get here though."

"That's alright. Would you rather call her tomorrow? I can take care of this tonight so you don't make it worse. Bring you medicine and whatnot. Then she can come and get you tomorrow, sir," Minseok told him.

Responsibility.

The same thing that had saved Jongdae. It made him wonder what exactly had happened to this guy; their situations were so similar, really. The only thing was that Jongdae had been unconscious during his accident.

"If that would be okay with you. Gosh, I can't thank you enough for this. I'm so lucky you were passing by," he commented, a little breathless. "I'm Chanyeol, by the way."

"Pleased to meet you," Minseok offered, raising himself to his feet. "My name is Minseok."

It was at this moment that the robot seemed to spot Jongdae hiding in the shadowed side of the room, and he was opening his mouth to address him when Jongdae's stomach flipped in fright and he interrupted him.

"Who's this?" he asked, nerves biting at his voice. He gestured to Chanyeol, walking out into the light as if he hadn't been there the entire time. That was close, he thought to himself. He couldn't have Minseok saying his name so freely.

The stranger whipped around in surprise at the new sound of his voice, biting the inside of his lips in pain but being so startled that it didn't matter much.

"This is Chanyeol," he informed him calmly. "He's injured his ankle. Seems to have a pretty nasty break, actually. I didn't want him trying to hike his way out of the trees, so I offered him a hand."

"Ah, I see," Jongdae responded as if he hadn't actually heard the entire thing from just feet away. "Well, why don't you get him some medicine then? I'd like to speak with him for a moment," he suggested, giving Chanyeol a stare that threw the young man off even more than Minseok's (which, obviously, was saying something).

"I suppose you're right," Minseok replied. "I'll be back shortly," he told Chanyeol dutifully before starting to make his way towards the basement.

However, before he could leave completely, Jongdae took hold of the hem of his shirt and pulled him close as subtly as possible. "Don't say my name for now, okay?" he whispered, his voice really not even audible to any ears other than Minseok's.

The robot understood, but didn't seem to get why he would ask that of him. "But...you said-"

"I know what I said," he interrupted softly. He supposed that it might be confusing to Minseok, and he felt a little bad, but Jongdae didn't want to risk people he knew being told of his whereabouts. He'd make sure to explain later. "Just call me something else until he leaves. Please," he added, and Minseok seemed to pick up from his tone that whatever the reason was, it was pretty important.

"Okay," he agreed softly, and then in the next moment, he was gone, off to fetch whatever medicine he was talking about before.

Jongdae turned himself, walking over to the couch, and as he slid his hand along the cushion, he looked their unexpected visitor in the face. "So, you're Chanyeol then," he said, and though he really didn't mean for it to, it came out sounding a little intimidating.

Chanyeol gulped visibly. "Yep," he responded, nodding. "The one and only."

"How'd you injure yourself?" Jongdae questioned. He was trying his best to sound more casual, because that's how his natural personality was, and he wasn't sure why his voice was coming out rather hostile.

Chanyeol shrugged. "I was just climbing, slipped, and my ankle had to suffer the consequences. Just me not paying enough attention, really," he explained indifferently. "You know something, though?"

Jongdae crossed his arms over his chest. "Yeah?" he deadpanned.

Chanyeol turned himself a little bit, wincing slightly as his ankle sunk into a painful position. He fixed it with a small noise of discomfort before looking back around again. "You look kinda like that guy that's been missing," he told him. "Kim Jung...no, that's not right. It's something like that, though."

Jongdae stared at him, his heart rate beginning to pick up as it occurred to him what Chanyeol was talking about, and he realized that this was exactly what he was afraid of. And one thing was for sure: he was not about to trust this stranger with the truth. "Nah, I'm not missing. I'm right where I want to be. And my name is Luhan," he lied, trying not to sound nervous.

Breathe steadily. He's going to know you aren't telling the truth if you don't.

However, although Chanyeol seemed to believe him, it proved to be the wrong lie to tell, because the tall man's eyes widened in shock.

"Luhan?" he repeated incredulously, gaping. "No in' way! You're that crazy rich guy that tried to run away with his husband, like, years ago, right? Damn. I didn't even think you were gay, man," he chuckled. "I mean, not that I have a problem with it or anything, but holy . How long have you been out here?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," Jongdae stopped him, frowning deeply. What the hell was he talking about? Whatever it was, he did not like the sound of it. "You've got the wrong guy," he assured him.

Chanyeol raised an eyebrow at him. "So you're not him? You sure? 'Cause come to think of it, I'm pretty sure Minseok was the husband's name," he insisted, pointing towards the staircase that the robot had disappeared into to signal that's who he was talking about. "C'mon, he acts weird now 'cause the accident, right?"

"What? No! There's nothing wrong with him," Jongdae argued protectively, furrowing his eyebrows and clenching his fists at his sides. "You seriously have the wrong guy, okay?" he insisted, and before Chanyeol could swear on god knows what that he knew what he was talking about, Minseok entered the room again, silencing them both.

He had a small clear container of what looked like little capsules in his hands, and that's when Jongdae remembered.

Right. Medicine. Maybe - hopefully - it'll shut this guy up. I really don't like what he's saying right now.

Jongdae pressed his lips into a thin line as the robot seemed to immediately notice the tense atmosphere hanging around the room, even though he hadn't heard anything either of them were saying (or at least, Jongdae hoped he hadn't). "Is there something wrong, sir?" Minseok asked cautiously.

"No," Jongdae and Chanyeol replied in unison, casting a dark glance at each other afterwards as if both of them had just insulted the other.

Minseok didn't believe their answer in the slightest, but he didn't ask again. He simply made his way over to Chanyeol's side obediently, opening the little box of capsules to offer him one.

Chanyeol hesitantly took one in between his long fingers, his expression looking a little distrustful for just a moment before he asked politely for a glass of water. Minseok just nodded calmly, proceeding to go into the kitchen to fetch one.

Meanwhile, Chanyeol and Jongdae were having a borderline stare-down in the living room, one during which they never spoke, but it was very clear how uneasy things were.

Minseok only pretended to be oblivious. He knew something was up, and he kept a watchful eye on Chanyeol at all times.

It was only logical that he would automatically side with Jongdae. It was by default. Jongdae was putting him together week by week, just like Luhan had, and so loyalty was simply the obvious choice.

Thankfully, the intense staring contest seemed to be harmless and leading nowhere, and the robot returned peacefully with the glass of water, handing it to Chanyeol who kept glancing over at Jongdae the entire time that he was taking the pill.

"Thank you," he said to Minseok after he'd swallowed it.

"No problem, sir."

The tension between the two was so weird, especially because they'd never met before. They just couldn't stop sneaking little glares at each other, as if it gave them some sense of gratification.

Minseok knew he would have to keep his guard up for the night.

*****

Jongdae laid in the dark, staring intently up at the ceiling with his arms wrapped around himself. It was the middle of the night, and as embarrassing as it was, he just couldn't sleep. 

He felt unsettled. He felt like there was something off.

It wasn't that anything in particular had gone wrong after Minseok had come back from the basement. In fact, for some odd reason, the robot had had a boot tucked away somewhere for Chanyeol to walk in so he didn't hurt his ankle further, and the tall man had accepted it with words of gratitude. He'd had some snacks in the small backpack he'd been wearing on his hike, and he'd eaten them in place of a big meal when dinnertime rolled around.

And that was it. Nothing suspicious.

But there was just something that was making Jongdae feel uncomfortable. Something about the looks Chanyeol had been giving him. He sighed, turning over in bed and staring out the window. He wished he could just go to sleep.

A noise that sounded like a creak of the floorboards echoed out behind him all of a sudden, and his eyes widened as his head whipped around. He scanned the room nervously, his muscles tightening and itching in an instinct to get the hell up and run for the hills.

No sight of anything.

Maybe I just imagined it?

He rolled back over, holding tight to the covers and curling up into a comfortable position on his side. He was just being paranoid. That's all. Nothing was going to happen.

His eyelids fluttered shut, and he tried to slow his breathing, guiding his mind to think about peaceful things, like the sound of rain pattering on a roof. A radio playing quietly in a nearby room. The soft hum of the heat flowing from the vents in his childhood home miles and miles away.

He was beginning to drift off thankfully, tense limbs relaxing as if he really was at home when to his dismay, he heard another noise at the edge of his room.

He turned his body over lazily this time, not really expecting to see anything except maybe Minseok.

Which was why his heart jumped wildly into his throat when he saw a tall, dark figure, just standing in his doorway, watching him.

His stomach turned unpleasantly. He didn't know if he should speak or not, or if Chanyeol even knew he was awake, but before he could even think about it much longer, the deep voice rang out into his room.

"Hey, dude. I have to ask you something."

He swallowed thickly, trying to find his voice in his throat to say anything back. "What?" he replied, and though he tried his best to sound more strong and intimidating like he had earlier that day, the fear cracked through his voice involuntarily.

The dark, looming figure walked further into the room without an invitation, the sound of the boot on his foot ringing out against the wooden panels, and Jongdae sat up, gripping tight to his sheets insecurely and feeling a little dizzy.

"Are you sure you aren't that guy I mentioned? The one who's missing?" he questioned, and his tone was low and borderline threatening. "Kim Jong...whatever it was."

Before Jongdae could even think to open his mouth, he felt a hand gripping the collar of his shirt forcefully, yanking him up onto his feet with impressive strength.

In their position, Chanyeol holding him so ominously close in his unforgiving grip, he was forced to look him in the face, and the expression on his sharp face was so serious.

"No," Jongdae lied, trying to slowly inch away without him noticing. "I told you, I'm Luhan. I'm not him."

Chanyeol scoffed. "Really?" he asked knowingly, smirking at how afraid Jongdae was of him. "Because I bet there's some people who'd be real happy to help out the son of a who finds him," he pointed out darkly.

"And I sure could use a favor."

---

wOW.

yeah I'm uh...not even gonna say anything

ExCePt that I have a braaand new yoonmin fic called Empty Skies!! So if you're interested, please check it out 'cause I've worked so hard on it so far omg

See you soon! c: