Chapter 6

Mechanical

I'm so sorry for the insanely slow updates on this fic ahHhHhh. Anyways, I hope you enjoy <3

 

---

 

Finally, a week passed, and Jongdae definitely did not forget. Today, he would finally be able to add the next emotion, and as he launched himself out of bed that morning, he realized that he hadn't actually chosen one to install yet. He pondered, now on his feet and pacing wildly around the room.

 

This went on for longer than he realized, and perhaps that was why Minseok was suddenly standing in the doorway some unknown amount of time later, raising an eyebrow at him. Either way, he nearly sprung out of his skeleton when he finally saw him there, and he was lucky he didn't end up on the floor again.

 

"Sir," Minseok started when Jongdae finally caught sight of him. "What are you doing?"

 

Jongdae's cheeks flushed a little, and he laughed nervously. "Just...thinking," he squeaked, not exactly lying though his tone would suggest it. Minseok nodded, beginning to walk out of the room, but Jongdae trotted over to grab his wrist softly. "Do you mind if I add the next one now?" he asked in a quiet tone, and Minseok turned his head to lock eyes.

 

There was something different this time, though. A spark of fright seemed to flash across the robot; anticipation, but not curiosity. Jongdae's mind filled with pride, and not only that, but also an idea.

 

"Yes, sir," Minseok forced himself to say, blinking nervously. Jongdae smiled at him. "You'll be alright," he reassured him, but Minseok showed no change, which confirmed Jongdae's idea. He knew just what to do.

 

*****

 

Minseok walked up to the table slowly, and Jongdae remembered the way that he had laid down flat before, with no tentative shakiness or slowness.

 

This time though, there was a significant amount of hesitation as he laid his back down to the cold, flat surface. Jongdae walked up to him, and began to gather tools into his area, trying to ignore the robot's nerves. Suddenly, though, as soon as he had finished putting down the last thing, he felt his hand being grabbed.

 

His heartbeat rocketed as he realized, turning his head that Minseok had laced their fingers together quickly, and he was squeezing tight. His eyes were staring up at him like a scared puppy, and Jongdae melted.

 

"Why are you doing this?" Jongdae asked with a wide tremble in his voice. Minseok opened his mouth slowly. "You said...you said people do this when they're scared, right?"

 

Jongdae's eyes widened slightly. He was doing this because of what he had said to him the other day, about people holding hands. It had totally slipped his mind, and a huge feeling of hope bloomed in his heart as he squeezed Minseok's smaller hand back.

 

"Yeah, I did."

 

He stared down at the frightened face for what felt like forever, before leaning down to place a short kiss on his forehead. "You'll be alright," he whispered again, and Minseok closed his eyes, taking a deep breath.

 

It took everything in him to shut him off, his hand slow as he hesitantly pushed the button. After the blue light flickered out, he forced himself not to just gaze at Minseok. The fascination he felt towards the robot never faded. He was odd company, but somehow Jongdae couldn't wish for anything different. He shook his head free of drifting thoughts quickly, before they carried him away, and got to work.

 

He had so much more confidence in himself now that he'd been through this once before (especially since he had completely succeeded the first time). He worked quicker, and with that same hope fresh in his mind. He could do this.

 

He finished before dusk this time, and could not have been happier when he was able to press the little blue button once more. Minseok's eyes fluttered open, and he sat up slowly.

 

"How did it go, sir? I'm sure it went very well, but I'd like to hear it from you," were the first words out of his mouth. Jongdae smiled.

 

"I believe you've just showed me how well it went."

 

Minseok tilted his head in curiosity. "You're able to trust me now. You know that I won't hurt you," Jongdae explained, smiling and leaning forward to affectionately muss up his hair. Not able to be irritated, Minseok just nodded in understanding, and stood up. Jongdae followed this action, and they both walked upstairs in amicable silence.

 

Though Minseok had already showed a fresh spark of the latest addition to his emotions, Jongdae still wanted to try other things out to test it. It gave him a sense of satisfaction, and it helped him get to know the personality he was creating.

 

"Minseok," he said as they reached the middle floor. The robot turned his head to face him, eyes questioning and somehow softer. "Isn't there a creek fairly close to here?" he asked.

 

Minseok nodded, walking over to the door and opening it before stopping and turning around. "Would you like to go there, sir?"

 

"Yes," he replied, despite his eyes catching sight of the sunset glowing outside the window. He decided he didn't really care if night would fall while they were outside tonight. There weren't any clouds, so the moonlight would be bright enough to light their way.

 

They walked outside together, Minseok leading the way as he followed the maps displayed inside of his synthetic eyelids. It didn't take too long for them to hear the soft sound of water running over rocks. They stared at the sight of the water glimmering from the moonlight, and the trees that leaned slightly inward at the banks. Minseok murmured in an obvious announcement, "Here we are, sir."

 

Jongdae walked over to the edge, almost wanting to jump in, abandon all thoughts and splash like a little kid in a puddle when it rained. He'd always loved water, which was somewhat ironic considering his equal love for machines. He blinked, realizing something. Machines.

 

He turned around. "Minseok. Will water break you?" he asked, noticing that the robot had not advanced any closer to the water.

 

"It won't unless my inner parts are exposed to too much of it, but it makes me feel uneasy, sir," he admitted.

 

Jongdae beckoned him forward with a gentle gesture, and Minseok gave him an unsure stare, the electric blue of his eyes filled with doubt. "Hey, you'll be okay. I just want you to sit with me for a while. Remember? I won't let you get hurt," Jongdae assured him.

 

Finally, Minseok obeyed, walking slowly over to the edge of the sparkling water with the new feeling of trust bubbling inside him. Jongdae then sat down in the grass, and patted the spot next to him. "Here," he said, looking up at Minseok, who eventually joined him, scooting simultaneously as far away from the water and as close to Jongdae as he could get.

 

Jongdae slid his hand into the robot's after a small pause, looking over to clarify, "So this helps you when you feel scared, right?" Minseok nodded, squeezing his hand familiarly. "Yes, this makes me feel better."

 

Jongdae's heart fluttered once again, and he turned his head to gaze at the water, letting himself drift off in the warm at his side. Maybe Minseok really could be more than a machine.

 

Maybe everything was going to work out.

 

---

 

You guys are so lovely and patient with me, bless your hearts. I hope this cute chapter made up for all that waiting, even it it's a little short :) Maybe this time it won't take me 500 years to post the next chapter lmao.

 

See you soon! c: