requiem...

INEBRIATED

Trembling fingers gently the scarred hand that rested on the neat sheets of the hospital bed.They were as warm and soft as the other unmoving one was cold and rough,but underneath it she felt the faint pulse that still flowed.She still had him with her.Just for another day,he was still welcoming her in his own messed way.

Yun Hee learned to keep her expectations as low as possible if she wanted to still be in her right mind when he decided to open his eyes.Little things became her bucket list:coming to his ward and finding his body still resting on the bed, watching the rhythmic tilt of his heartbeat on the monitor,feeling his hand warming up after she'd place it on her slightly protruding belly as a means of helping him greet his unborn daughter.

As long as she didn't ask too much of him,she had hope he wouldn't feel burdened.He had become her rock and she didn't know how to cope with the stillness he welcomed her  with now.Yun Hee was too aware of what she should do,but actually doing it was a whole other matter.It was like he all her life when he never woke up from the surgery he underwent after being shot.So she had to stay strong!Or else he'll be pissed.And an angry Sunggyu wasn't a walk in the park to deal with;she should know by now.

She kept his bangs that finally managed to cover the surgery scar on his left temple.It wasn't as gratifying as it was supposed to;it only meant how much time had passed since he didn't wake up.

But she joked about it, easier to face facts this way.And she found strength in the interaction between him and their daughter.Yun Hee found her rock again when she saw the positive effect the little bump had on his regular check-ups.

"Is it only me or both of you are already teaming up on me?!"she feigned offended."I wish I knew what you two are secretly enjoying wherever you meet.Don't pretend you're not,cause it's all written on the charts."she poked his cheek."You're having a blast without me."she pouted,intertwining her fingers with his that already rested on her belly."You know how jealous I can get,do you honestly think it's good to upset a pregnant woman?"

"I bet he plays his cards right about now."Woohyun joined them,gently sliding the ward's door shut."I can almost hear him nagging about you pushing your luck just because he can't get up and do it properly himself.Why haven't you gone home and take a nap?"he scolded,taking a seat on the other side of the bed.

"Are you blind or what?What does it look like I'm doing?"Yun Hee squinted her tired eyes at him.

"This kind of bed isn't big enough for both of you,no matter how much you two cuddle.I'll take you back when you...."

"You think you're so much better.Where did you find that crappy foundation that doesn't conceal any of those dreadful eyebags?You look like a panda."she chuckled in Sunggyu's ear.

"Whoa...and to think I encouraged the poor man to fight for you.Whatever was I thinking?!You're just an evil little devil,aren't you?"Woohyun smiled faintly.

"Do you think he's mad at you?Because I can vouch for him he's not."Yun Hee told him looking him straight in the eyes.

She knew Woohyun beat himself up  with guilt ever since the events that brought them here happened.He had drunkily confessed it himself one night he visited the ward unannounced.Seeing him crash like that,eaten up by guilt was nerve racking,but she couldn't bring herself to agree with him.Sunggyu wouldn't do anything against his own choice, no  matter who begged him!For God's sake, he even pushed her away when he felt that was the only way.

"I'm not so sure,Yun Hee."Woohyun rubbed a hand over his tired features."Maybe if I hadn't rushed him that day...if we took our time and come up with an actual plan...."

"I might've been already dead."she concluded."Things got out of hand the second they sent that bastard after me.No one could've reasoned with him and Sunggyu knew it.That's why he jumped in front of the bullet.I can only be grateful you had successfully convinced him to come look for me.Otherwise we'd have two deaths on our heads now."she said,drawing small circles on her belly after placing Sunggyu's back on the bed.

"I can't look at things like that.Not yet."he admitted.

"In that case, make yourself useful and help me get up."she raised her arm at him."My limbs are all numb."

"Serves you right."he happily obliged."What do you say we recharge over a bubble tea?My goddaughter loves it and I haven't treated her for a while now."

"It's amasing the intensity with which she can already whip you guys.I can hardly wait to see how you do when she's here in person."Yun Hee chuckled evilly.

"It'll be my honour.Can't really speak for the others."

"Yeah, it's not like the Yadong don't make a fuss over her as we speak.Can't you convince them to stop buying presents?I can hardly make my way through the house because of them."she complained thinking about what a hussel had been to walk around the gifts.

"Hey it's our first time taking care of a young lady.We must be prepared at all costs."Woohyun pleaded his case.

"And what the heck do you call me??"she pretended ofended.

"Uhm...that's hyung's job."he threaded his hand at the nape."I don't have a death wish.You know how territorial he can get."he adressed the one on the bed."Sorry, Gyu,I love you, but I'm more of a narcisistic bastard."

"Liar."she pecked him."Don't worry,they tend a great deal to me."Yun Hee kissed Sunggyu on his lips."Just...we kinda miss you.I'll see you soon,ok? I am trying,you know!"she pressed her forehead on his,whispering the last words like they shared some big secret.