Chapter 4

Scarred
Please log in to read the full chapter

After Himari got ready for school, she went down the stairs leading to the living room. Her sleepy eyes went wide when she saw her father walking toward the door that leads outside, wearing a corporate uniform. “Dad!”

 

Her dad stopped and faced her. His weary expression was replaced by a genuine smile. “Good morning Himari.”

 

She ran toward him and hugged him tightly. “You went home last night?” she asked even if it’s already obvious. She doesn’t know why. She just wanted to ask that.

 

She felt her father kiss the top of her head. “Yes sweetheart. I’m sorry if I haven’t been home for the last nights. It’s just...”

 

She waited for her father’s answer but she just heard a sigh. She looked up at him. “Have you eaten breakfast?”

 

Her dad smiled. “Yes. And I need to go now.”

 

She let go of her dad. “Are you going home?” she asked, her smile slowly fading.

 

Her dad turned his back on her and shrugged. “We’ll see.” Then, he went out of the house.

 

She watched his back as he walked farther. She’s happy. Really. She’s glad that even though his dad has a problem with her mom, he still comes home at times. At least, he still thinks that this is his home. This is still his family. And he still loves them... or her.

 

At least.

 

After eating her breakfast, she went out of the house, leaving her mom since her work is still at 8:00 am. She was welcomed by a cold breeze of the autumn wind. She shivered and hugged herself.

 

 


“You might get diabetic.”

 

Himari took another bite of the third slice of custard cake she bought for lunch. “I don’t eat sweets everyday, Hayate.”

 

Hayate grabbed the fork she’s holding which made her protest and took a piece of her cake. “I really don’t know why most of the girls eat sweets when they’re stressed.”

 

She grabbed back the fork after he ate what he took and glared at him. “ And I really don’t know why you keep on eating what I am eating.”

 

He rested his chin on his hand and looked at her. “I really don’t know why you’re mean to me when you’re upset.”

 

She took in the last piece of cake to . “I really don’t know when you think I’m mean even though I’m not.”

 

He grinned. “I really don’t know why you keep on copying my sentences.”

 

She grinned back. “I really don’t know why you’re accusing me of copying you.”

 

“I really don’t know why you’re denying it.”

 

“I really don’t know why I became friends with you.”

 

The two of them laughed. This is what she really likes about Hayate. He has this talent to make her feel okay by just being his usual playful self. He seldom comforts her through cliche hugs and sympathetic words.

 

But she knows he cares. She knows how much he cares.

 

Then, she bell rang, indicating that lunch time is over. They looked at each other with eyes wide. Without saying a word, they hurried out of the school garden where they usually spend their lunch breaks. 

 

“Who’s your next teacher?” Hayate asked while running.

 

She grimaced when she realized who’s her next teacher. “The new Art teacher. I’m so dead.”

 

He laughed at her. “Will this be your first detention?”

Please log in to read the full chapter