Chapter 3

Scarred
Please log in to read the full chapter

Miyazaki Himari pushed the doors of the library entrance. Since her best friend Hayate is still cleaning his homeroom, she told him she’ll wait in the library. She walked passed numbers of shelves until she reached the section of fiction books. She’s not a bookworm but she finds reading a nice way of keeping herself busy during her free time. 

 

As she was about to remove her backpack, she saw the tanned guy she met a week ago, head resting on his right arm, eyes closed. After seeing him getting in an accident and in a near accident situation, it’s definitely not hard to remember him. She walked near him and peeked at what he was doing.

 

She raised a brow. “Math problems?” she blurted unintentionally. She bit her lip when she remembered how unfriendly this guy was. 

 

“Yeah.” 

 

She was startled when he responded. She wasn’t expecting any reply. He opened his eyes slowly and after a few seconds, widened with recognition, showing her how brown those are. He immediately sat up straight, still staring at her.

 

She found that move of his adorable so she couldn’t help but smile. She slid down the chair beside him, eyeing the worksheets he had in front. “Let me see if I can help.” She settled her bag on the table and took his paper.

 

Math is her favorite subject. Sure, she’s getting high grades in all of the subject since she’s one of the top students but Math is the subject she excels the most. Scanning his answers, she smiled to herself when he observed his penmanship. His penmanship is like screaming ‘I really hate you, Mathematics!’ because of the pressure applied on the way the words were written. 

 

“You have a wrong answer on this number,” she pointed the third question. And the thing is, his solution is too far from the real solution.

 

“Oh,” he responded as if he didn’t care. “It’s okay--”

 

She pouted slightly. ‘It’s not okay, though. Why are a lot of people easily giving up on Math?’ She took the pencil from the guy’s hand and pushed the paper toward him. She moved her chair a bit nearer. “Let me help you.”

 

She started solving a number slowly and step by step. She kept on glancing at his face to see if he understands or not and she was glad to see that he looks like focusing on what she is writing. 

 

She started explaining, still watching his reactions. He started shifting from his position so she concluded that he’s having a hard time understanding so she explained every step thoroughly. When she’s done, she handed back the pencil and looked at him, waiting for him to answer the next problems. The guy looked back at her. 

 

She wanted to cringe at how unwelcoming his eyes were. They seem so grumpy.

 

The guy started answering. She watched as he creases his forehead at every number. She doesn’t know if he understood or not but based on the slow but continuous movement of his pencil, she knew he can already a lot correctly.

 

She observed his features. Unlike her, he only has a single eyelid. His nose is nicely shaped. Her eyes traveled toward his lips and realized how beautifully curved those are. She wondered, what do those lips look like if they are smiling? This guy in front of her doesn’t seem to smile that much. Or at all.

 

“Hey!” 

 

Her head snapped toward the familiar voice. When she saw Hayate, she immediately smiled widely and beamed. “Hayate!”

 

“Who’s this?” Hayate eyed the guy beside her. “He looks familiar.”

 

Please log in to read the full chapter