Yoon Gi's Present: Himself

I choose you, Rapmonster!

Our apartment is cursed to be never clean: endless boxes are stacked on top of each and all the stuff we’ve ever owned for the past two years are laid out in disoriented display as Faith and I determine what should go in what box—and what should be thrown out. Faith suddenly shoots up from the carpeted floor as the doorbell rings. “I got it!” She hops her way to the front door but stops in shock at who’s standing on the other side. “Hello. Can I come in?” A dying squeal escapes from the back of my sister’s throat. My eyes widen, seeing a bundled up Yoon Gi step inside my house with a gift bag. He smiles up at me once our eyes meet. He doesn’t look as tired as the last few times I’ve met him. “I hope this isn’t bad timing.” He looks around, looking for a way to make it through the pile of trash by the doorway. Faith, excitedly, tosses the trash by the side to make way for King Yoon Gi. “Are you guys moving out?” He finally makes his way towards the dining table where his throne awaits.

“Our study abroad program is over, unfortunately. We’re heading back to America in a couple of days to live back home with our parents,” Faith offers him a tea in a cup I’m sure is unwashed. Yoon Gi takes a sip as he carefully watches over me. Faith catches on. “I’ll leave you two alone.” And she skedaddles off to her room.

 

A thin confused smile appears across Yoon Gi’s face as he observes the mess and sees a few cockroaches out to greet him. He frowns and looks up at me. “I’ve read ‘Suga, you ain’t that sweet.’” My eyes meet his. “It was—It was good.” He hesitates, trying to keep himself from laughing. I don’t say anything. I imagined this situation to be different. I wouldn’t have acted this upset—frowning in the presence of once my bias. “I also saw Rapmon’s story: ‘I choose you, Rapmon.’” He tries hard to keep the conversation going although I know enough he’s not that type of guy. “But can I ask you something, Miss Author? Why did you give me a happy ending but tell Rapmon his love interest is going to die?” My eyes are growing heavier at the mention of Rapmon’s name as the tears start to form in the back of my eyeballs. Yoon Gi’s husky voice melts into my ears. “Is it because you’re moving?” Bingo.

“It’d hurt too much to tell him goodbye.” My eyes start to water as I stare intensely at the family of dead ants Faith murdered earlier. “When I move back to America, he’s not going to appear at grocery stores or in front of my school. He’s not going to barge into my house carrying a buffet of food when I’m sick because he still doesn’t know what I like. When I’m cold, I’m just going to be cold!” My voice gets louder and louder with each truthful statement. A thinning laugh escapes my lips. “I’d be happy with him just being in the same continent as me but he’s not. How could—How could he make me fall in love with him so fast? How could he just play with my heart all for it to end like this?” A tear drops down my cheek. “I should’ve tried harder. I should’ve tried harder not to fall for him!” I holler as I grab a roll of tissue and blow my nose into it—snot dripping through the tissues: completely unattractive. Everything I’ve held back comes flying out like an uncontrollable hose. I sit there, hugging unto my knees as I rock back and forth. Yoon Gi takes out his cell phone and holds it up in front of me.

“Your girlfriend’s crying.” Click. I look up with my puffy red eyes and tissue paper stuck up my nose.

“What are you doing?” My voice is nasally.

“Honesty is a good trait. That’s what I liked about Tae Hee in ‘Suga, You ain’t that sweet.’ You should try it with Rapmon.” Yoon Gi slides the bag he brought over as he gets up from the table. “I included myself, this time.” Faith comes crawling out like an ugly gollum and peek into the bag. She holds up the cup of Yoon Gi’s face and Namjoon’s face.

“They’re so cute! But this is my favorite.” She picks up Jin’s cup and rubs it against her cheek—smiling like a creep as she does. “He’s so handsome.” Yoon Gi gives a polite chuckle and bows as he heads out. “I hope it works out for you two. I’ve never seen Rapmon that happy before he met you.” I hold unto Rapmon’s cup, sniffling as I feel another hurricane of tears roll out from beneath my eyes.