Chapter 16. Which Path?

The Lion's Pride

Melody stepped quietly into the dark practice room and checked to make sure she was alone. With a quiet moan she slid down against the door and let the tears flow that had been threatening since the meeting she had just come from.

“Will you risk their future as well as your own? One more misstep about that VIXX boy and it is over Melody. You knew the deal when you came here; you said you would abide by it.”

Silent tears made silver treks down her cheeks as she tried to come to terms with what had to be done.

Memories of her time with Taekwoon when he was in America flashed through her mind, of him helping her off the carrousel, and of the two of them swimming together.

Then she flashed back to holding his hand while they looked on like parents at the other members all playing together and having a good time. Once again she felt his arms around her, and heard the love in his voice as he said he would wait for her.

“How can I give you up?” She asked the empty room with a broken voice.

Climbing to her feet she approached the only lights in the room that were on, the ones over the mirrors.

Looking in the mirror she did not see her reflection… instead she saw the other members of 4D practicing hour after hour to get routines right.

She saw the girls encouraging each other when one would get tired and the hugs and love that never stopped.

Her eyes blurred with renewed tears and the images were replaced with ones of the 4D members partnered with VIXX members at the swing dancing class they had taking together.

“Two paths in front of me…but my heart will break no matter which one I end up following.” 

She could no longer bear to look in the mirror and instead closed her eyes and leaned over the bar, her tears falling down to splash against the practice floor.

 

Familiar strong arms embraced her and without opening her eyes she turned in them and finally let the sobs come. Always she had tried to cry silently, afraid the girls would hear her or if she was being honest with herself….she was afraid if she gave voice to all the pain in her she would never be able to silence it.

Clutching his shirt she sobbed and sobbed as he gently lowered her to the ground and held her on his lap, tightly in his arms.

He held her close feeling as though his own heart was breaking at her agony, and her tears burned him as surely as though she held a hot poker on his skin.

It had been a while now that he had stopped lying to himself about his feelings for her.

He loved her…and holding her like this was tearing at his own emotions.

Slowly her sobs stopped and her sniffling slowed. Handing her some tissues he had in his pocket he smoothed her hair as she composed herself.

“Your heartbeat is comforting.” She said softly.

He chuckled softly as he reached down to tip her chin up to look at him.

“Noona.” The words were barely a whisper as he leaned down to brush his lips briefly against her own.

“Why can’t it be you?” She asked her voice trembling as she leaned back against him. “Why can’t I love you that way?”

He had no answers for her and knew he could never tell her how he felt; all he could do was be here for her.

He realized her breathing had deepened and knew she had fallen into an exhausted slumber.

Getting to his feet carefully he hoisted her in his arms, her weight familiar and comfortable after all their time together.

There was no one around as he carried her to the car and gently he set her in the seat, fastening her seatbelt before closing the door and going around to the driver’s side.

 

Her dorm wasn’t far and he woke her enough to have her climb on his back so he could punch in the code to go up without using the intercom. He did not want to disturb the others since it was late and he had a feeling that she would rather the other girls not see her just yet.

Quietly opening the door he crept in and headed for her bedroom.

Carefully he laid her on the bed and took her shoes off before pulling the blanket over her.

“Rest well noona.”

At the door he turned and looked at her lying in bed before with a quiet sigh he turned out the light, closed the door, and left the dorm.

Down in the car he put his arm on the steering wheel and closed his eyes. What a mess everything had become…