Escape

Project X: The Failed Experiment
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kai sat on top of one of the four cots in the room and glared at the closed door that taunted him from the other side of the room.

Stupid people, stupid place, he thought. 

Who hell did these people think they were? They had no right to keep him here, and all he wanted was out.

He was so close to his freedom. Just mere steps away. But someone got in the way. 

He remembered that night. Some of Jake's goons were chasing after him, but he was a fast runner. He could have made it, if he were looking where he was going.

***

He saw the man before he walked away, before the others caught up to him. The man was tall and burly, a baseball bat in one hand. He smiled at Kai before he left. It was a mocking smile, but it gave Kai the opportunity to see what he looked like. There was a crazy glint in his eyes, and a tattoo of a snake circled his left eye. 

Then, suddenly, he disappeared and someone else was there. Jake's men. The world had gone black then, and he didn't remember any thing else. 

In the first moment of waking up, he actually thought he had died and that he was in some kind of twisted hell. His second thought was that he was in the hospital, but what idiot in their right mind would help a bloody beaten boy in the back of the alley way down in the slums? That's when he had decided to go out and look for himself. 

That was also when he confirmed that he wasn't dead and in his own personal hell, but he was still very alive in a very weird, and white building that was definitely not a hospital. 

The door to his room led to a narrow hallway, doors covering the walls. After a quick look around, he noticed the door at the end of the hallway with an exit sign hanging over it.

It can't be this easy, can it? 

It was a weird feeling, something about this whole set up wasn't right, and he could feel it in his bones.

Or I could be overthinking everything and I can just walk out of here now, he thought

He chuckled at his own stupidity and shook his head. No, he had grown up in the slums, he knew how to fend for himself and when the best time is to run. He also knew a dangerous situation when he came across one. There was always that gut feeling warning him.

And, damn, was his gut telling him to get the hell out.

He glanced between his door and the exit door. 

Alright, well. His door was the second closest one to the Exit on the left. He memorized it just in case. His brain took in all the details he could pick up, the fact that the hall way was only 6 ft wide but over 60 ft long. The six doors that lined up on each side of the hall way. The flickering light, third one down from the beginning of the hallway.

His plan, go out and take a look around, preferably without being noticed. Worst case scenerio, he comes across something that will eventually lead to him sneaking his way back into this room.

Failproof.

With that in mind, he set out towards the exit door and pushed through.

He honestly didn't expect his exploration to give him something interesting so soon, but the room the door took him to was definitely not the exit. 

He emerged into a wide open labratory, tables lined up down the centre holding vials and test tubes of different fluids.

It was mesmerizing and terrifying. 

Kai was awestruck taking in the whole room. But that moment only lasted a second. 

Suddenly, there was the slam of a door sounding, making Kai nearly jump out of his skin.

He quickly dove behind one of the machinese that was pressed against the wall and scanned the area for the newcomer. The sound of footsteps echoed through the room.

Kai pressed himself nearly into the wall. He clamped his mouth shut and tried to calm his heart rate which had taken off at the speed of sound when the door slamming shut.

Suddenly, a man appeared infront of him, coming out of what seemed like thin air right in front of him.

That's when his heart suddenly stopped.

Thankfully, the only thing that prevented him from being noticed was that the man seemed to be preoccupied with the clipboard in his hands.

He walked to the centre of the room and turned to one of the tables, now with his back facing Kai.

Common sense told him that he really shouldn't be scared right now, and that this looked like a harmless old man who might even point him in the right direction to get out of this mysterious place, but nothing in this place felt right, especially this harmless old man.

Kai shifted his position, getting into a ready position to move. He suspected his hiding spot wasn't too noticiable unless someone actually came looking here for him, but he wasn't taking any chances.

As quietly as he could, he inched his way further behind the machine, hiding his body and blocking his view of the rest of the lab. He tiptoed over the wires and shuffled along, inch by inch.

There was just enough room for him to get by if he made himself as small as possible. 

He heard the man shuffling around on the other side and Kai froze. He didn't even dare breathe too loud, in fear of being heard. 

There came a long sigh, and then, footsteps again. They seemed to be coming closer for a moment, before starting to fade away. Finally, there was the sound of a door opening, and shutting.

Kai let out the breath he was holding and turned back. His first step back, he tripped on a wire. Startled, he let out a slight yell.

It was deafening in the silence of the room. 

Paniced that someone might have heard him, he lept back to the outside of the machine and towards the door. 

He was in such a hurry to get out that he didn't really feel like he ran the whole way and more or less, just appeared infront of the door.

As quietly as possible, he slipped through the doors and back into the room he was in earlier.

He didn't leave that room again until two days later when they came for him.

***

He was lost in thought that he didn't even have a chance to react when they opened the door and someone else into the room with him. 

A mass of white charged through the door followed by an angry yell and the sound of a door clicking shut.

Kai snapped out of his flashback, just in time to see the door close on him.

He stood up on his feet and cursed. He was going to have to act more quickly next time.

The same time, the person they threw in with him got up as well.

Kai glanced back

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter