Discovery

Project X: The Failed Experiment
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lay had completely lost track of where they were going after the first turn. Even if he didn't have the bag over his head, he still wouldn't be able to navigate his way around. 

There were too many twists and turns for him to keep track of. 

His feet stumbled along beneath him as he was dragged down the endless amounts of hallways. His arms had already gone slightly numb from the grip of his 'escorters' who were forcefully pulling him along to wherever they were going to bring him this time. 

After a few more turns though, they stopped. The bag was ripped off his head and he was shoved forward through some doorway. He had experienced this enough times to be able to keep his footing. He stumbled a bit, but stayed on his feet. 

The door clicked shut behind him, leaving him alone, again, in a new room. 

His thoughts flashed back to his second day here. The doctor had come to visit him again. Like last time, he had taken blood, and continued along with his questioning. But before he left, he injected him with something. It was unexpected, one moment he was just sitting there, the next, he had a syringe filled with clear liquid stuck in his arm. The doctor emptied it's contents and in no time, Lay was out cold. 

He had woken up strapped down to an operating table, tubes and wires stuck to him, a mask over his mouth. There were people going out and about around him, murmuring words that he couldn't quite comprehend. 

There were machines surrounding him, with their endless beeping driving him slowly insane. 

The doctors attending to him seemed to realise he had woken up though, and after a slight prick in his arm, the world had gone dark again. 

He had woken up again in the same room as the first day. The guards had come for him later that day. He had been dragged from room to room, and left alone for hours at a time. 

His eyes scanned the room, not expecting much to be different from the last time.

Except it was. 

4 cots were pushed up against the walls of this room.

Two large, familiar heart monitor machines stood grimly beside two of the cots that had lumps and hills beneath the blankets. 

There was a fluttering sensation in his stomach. Like two tiny weak butterflies when he noticed this. 

His eyes scanned the heart monitors, looking for the familiar screen. He breathed a sigh of relief when he noticed the jagged ups and downs indicating a heartbeat.

"Why am I relieved? I don't even know who these people are," he thought

But his mind flashed back to the shocking, he felt them fading away with each shock.  He cringed at the memory.

Steeling himself, he walked over to the covered cots. It felt wrong to him, that they covered them up like the dead when they weren't.

He pulled the covers back, revealing their faces. 

A quick thought flashed through his mind when he saw them. How did he know who was under those blankets? He had immediately assumed it was the two from the chairs earlier, but somehow he was positive about it.

It was like the butterflies in his gut. It felt the same when he was in the glass window room. The feeling of them fading away and the butterflies he felt when he walked into the room. It was all the same.

He glanced at the boys laying before him. His eyes immediately went to their collars, where the black numbers stood out contrastingly against their white jumpsuit.

"04 and 01. What is that?"

Before he could really consider that question, a sharp ding sounded through the room, snapping Lay out of his train of thought.

He heard the sliding of the doors open and mentally prepared himself for the guards to rush in. 

Instead, a mass of white charged through the door and landed in a heap on the floor, followed by a muffled grunt. The doors slid closed leaving him alone with the moving figure on the floor.

Lay stood absolutely still as the newcomer struggled

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter