The Truth

If You Knew

"Gina! Come on, it wouldn't be a big deal if you told me." Wonwoo said as she was walking in her neighborhood behind her. 
"I thought I told you to go away."
"Like what I said. I'm not giving up on you."
"I can't believe you followed me home." She told him as they were both standing in front of the door.

She saw a black pick up truck driving past her house.

"Oh crap. Wonwoo. We have to get inside." Gina said and pulled him in. 

She locked the door behind her and looked through the peep hole to see if they were still there. 

"EOMMA! APPA!" She yelled as she expected them to walk down the stairs. 

Her parents were not home as usual. 

"How are they not home?!?" She yelled in frustration. 
"I thought you only had your mom. What's going on?" 

They hear a glass shatter and a bullet hit the wall behind them. 

"Wonwoo get down!" Gina yelled at him as they both lied on the floor on their stomachs. 

They heard a few more bullets go through the window and another going through the other side of the living room. They both covered their ears until they heard the pick up truck honk and rush away. They got up and saw that they drove away. 

Gina went out and found a note taped onto the door. She read that the note was telling her parents that they're in trouble until they fix the deal. 

"Gina, are you ok?" Wonwoo said as he held onto her. 

He could feel her trembling with fear and shocked about what just happened. 

"Look at me." He said as he put her hand on her cheek and made her eyes look into his. 
"We got to get out of here. You're not safe." 

She agreed with him and they both ran away from her home as fast as they could. 

 

******

They finally stopped in front of seventeens dorm since it was really far from her home where they couldn't find her. 

"Give me answers now." Wonwoo demanded. 
"Fine! My parents are drug dealers."
"So you do have both of your parents?"
"That's not the point right now, Wonwoo. Let me just explain everything to you." 

Wonwoo stood there listening to her. 

"Everything you said about me was right. I'm an only child, I have both of my parents, and I hate my house so much because of stuff happening like this. That's why I go to school."
"Wow, you lied. You made me believed not to think its true." 
"I know but I had to. This is why I hesitate to talk about my personal life. I didn't want you involved because once you're involved, they're pretty much after you now." 
"Well they can come after me. You can't stay in that house. Its not safe at all." 
"No Wonwoo. I can't let you get hurt. Now that they know you're with me, they're going to be after you." 
"I'd rather let them be after me than you." 
"They're after me too! Just please go away. Don't talk to me anymore, don't even come up to me. Don't do anything with me." Gina started to have tears.

Wonwoo didn't care and just hugged her to make her shut up about everything.

"Take a breather." He told her and they sat down on the curb. 

She wiped her tears and put her head on his shoulder. 

"If you knew everything, your life would be over." 
"I dont care, just start from the beginning, please." Wonwoo told her. 

Gina hesitated for a little bit, but she took a deep breath, about to explain everything to him.

"It started when my parents were out of a job and out of money. They had to take care of me at the time but it was so hard for them to look for a job out here. They met with those guys, and that's when they've been offered the job to drug deal. They've been passing drugs and collecting money from other people who wanted it. But sometimes, the money that they collect, they spend it too much on beer and cigarettes, causing them to not pay those guys they work for the exact money they owe. At one point it got so bad, where they actually took me when I was 5, just so they could give the money back. Of course, they got the money, and I don't want to know how, but they got me back. Now they screwed up again. Now they're after me and my parents and anyone involved with us." She told him everything. 
"Look, Gina, I'm so sor-"
"Don't even pity me. That's the last thing I'd want a person to do. Its the reason why I confuse people and don't tell them anything about my life. I don't want people to look at me like they have a need to feel sorry for me."
"You're a really tough girl for keeping this all in. You know that right?"
"I guess I am. But you know, you can't treat me different because you know everything about me now. This really shouldn't affect anything between us." 
"Don't worry, I won't. At least I feel better knowing why you don't tell anyone anything. But why with the confusing personality?" 
"Because I really didn't want people to just ask questions about me personally. I bet people thought I was bi polar or something, but I just wanted to known for being simple. I don't like when attention gets put onto me. That's why I lie about my personal life. It may sound stupid, but its actually who I am and how I feel about it." 
"I knew there was a reason behind all of this. But didn't it eat you up inside?"
"When you're focused on something different, all of this just gets pushed to the back of my head." 

Wonwoo stayed silent for a little bit.

"You know, you were somehow determined to figure me out, and now you have. You feel satisfied?" Gina asked him. 
"I really do. No one thought I couldn't do it." 
"Well you did it. I'm just a girl hiding herself so no one could figure me out. I'm sorry if I seemed all confusing, but I just had to. Every time I told my therapist, all she's doing is sitting there and feeling sorry for me. People doing that to me, just made me feel weak and that's not how I want people to look at me." 
"But you're not weak. You went through a lot and you're still over acting like nothing happened."
"I was just so traumatized about what happened when I was five, that I didn't want to feel that fear anymore. But I'm somewhat traumatized about what just happened. I'm still trembling with fear right now."
"Alright, let's get you inside." 
"No, I told you. I can't."
"Stop being so stubborn. Just come with us for a little bit, until you can figure out this whole situation." 
"Fine then, I will. But after all of this, I'm still going to be known as the cool as chill Gina, so anymore questions about me before I start acting different?" 
"One more."
"Ok tell me." 
"Is this really how you want to spend the rest of your life? With a few secrets to hide about yourself, and tricking everyone about who you really are?"
"Honestly now that I told you, I don't know anymore. But for now I still want everything to be the same as it was before." 
"It will. I promise."
"Alright, then I'll go inside with you now."
"But first, you have some dirt on your face. Let me just wipe it." Wonwoo said and rubbed gently on her cheek to get the dirt off. 

They ended up gazing for a very long time, when Wonwoo leaned in and kissed her. She responded back, but then pushed him back after about 5 seconds of their lips touching each others. 

"We should really just get inside." Gina told him. 

Wonwoo cleared his throat. 

"Yes we should. Let's go." He said and grabbed her hand. 

...