FAMILY

THIS LITTLE TOWN
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Taecyeon drove through the security gates and up the long driveway of his father's estate. It was definitely beautiful. Acres of manicured property surrounded the mansion that was way too big for just Taecyeon and his father. His parents had planned on a large family and a wonderful life together. Those dreams were crushed by her untimely death, but Timothy didn't have the heart to sell the place. His wife had put so much of her love and personality each room.
 

James opened the front door. "You may wear your other clothes, Taecyeon. You've met the requirment so there's no need to dress like that anymore." He openly laughed.
 

"My attire doesn't change or make me who I am.Good to see you again." He shook James hand and walked away, leaving the man standing there, staring at his blue flannel back.
 

Taecyeon knocked on the study door, then entered it after he heard his father's  voice.
 

Timothy hurried to his son and give him a tight embrace, then kissed his cheeks. "Welcome Home!"
 

"Gamsahamnida, Abeoji. It's good to see you again."
"You didn't have to put those  clothes back on," said Timothy as he patted his son on the shoulder.
"These are what I feel comfortable in. You should try it sometime."
 

Timothy smiled at his son's suggestion. "I hope you understand why I did what I did. It was very hard for me to send you away, Taecyeon."
 

"Gamsahamnida for doing it. I'm not the same man I was when I left. I'm a better one because of you." A long silence filled the room, and he was hoping his father wasn't going to bring up old topics again.
 

Timothy looked concerned. "I need to ask you about this woman Roxie-ssi. You were close to her?"
 

"I love Eomeonim. She's been sort of a mother to me."
 

"You worked on her farm?"
 

"Everyday I worked long, hard hours. She isn't young anymore and was working just as long and hard as I was. Then she'd go in the house and prepare these meals that were like heaven. She even has a couple of horses I became close to. They're magnificent animals."
 

"Do you know a lot about this farm?" Timothy looked down at the file on his desk.
 

"Eomeonim said her husband bought it some years ago and built a home there. He died a decade ago, but she kept the farm going. It's just her and Bruce-hyeongnim, who works the land. He has a family and lives a few kilometers from the farm. He comes over and helps her out, but I don't think they get along as well as what Eomeonim claims. He's pretty stern and not very pleasant."
 

"...How is the farm doing?Is it successful?" Timothy cautiously asked.
 

"I think it is. She paid me well, and I was able to save up a decent amount. I kept a one million wons when I left in case of an emergency and to buy my plane ticket, but then I left the remaining money with her. I hope it helps her out."
 

"You gave her your money?" Timothy couldn't believe what he was hearing.
 

"Eomeonim needed it more than I did. I knew I was coming back here and would have access to everything. That's what I want to talk with you about, Appa."
 

"Don't tell me you wrecked your car..."
 

"It's about the car and a few other things. But no, I didn't wreck it. I don't want it."
 

"You don't have to have another sports car. This one should last you for quite a while." Timothy drummed his fingers on his knee.
 

"I'm sure it would. I just don't want it." Here we go again, thought Taecyeon.
 

"You don't want it?"
 

"It's a waste of money. I don't want that penthouse either. I want both of them sold."
 

"What has gotten into you?" He'd never heard things like this from his son before.
 

"Eomeonim just about kills herself every single day keeping that farm running. She doesn't have any other farm hands to help her other than Bruce-hyeongnim. Now that I'm gone it could take her quite a while before she finds more help."
 

"I have to tell you something. I don't want you to be angry with me." He looked down at the file again. Even though he knew his son would get angry, the truth had to be told.
 

"What is it?"
 

"You know that I love you and I know you got to spend a great deal of time with this woman and grew to trust her while you were in Yeongam. I still had to make sure you were protected. I had Roxie-ssi investigated."
 

"You what?" He quickly rose to his feet. He was furious.
 

"On paper only. I didn't find anything that would suggest Roxie-ssi knew who you were and would try to get money."
 

"Oh my God! She isn't even like that at all!" Taecyeon headed for the door.
 

"I realize this. She isn't hiring any more farm help. She never intended on it."
 

"Wait. What are you talking about?"
 

"Roxie-ssi is losing her home, Taecyeon. The 300 acres farm is being foreclosed. It seems that back taxes, loans, and bad dept sunk her."
 

"Wait a minute. Her farm is not 300 acres. You have the wrong person. I lived there, and I know it isn't 300 acres. It's surrounded by other property. She only owns a 100 acres, if that, and probably  closer to 75 acres, as we only grew rice and some produce we sold. That's about it."
 

"...Is this Roxie-ssi?" Timothy turned the picture around. He saw the concern and sadness in his son's eyes. He hadn't seen that since Taecyeon was a little boy. Part of him wanted to get to the bottom of it, and the other wanted the information to be about the wrong woman. He'd never seen his son verbalize such fondness for someone else. He knew Taecyeon love him, but showing love was something different.
 

He took the file from his father and sat back down. His hands began to tremble. "I have to go, Abeoji," he said as he got up to leave. He was very angry at himself for leaving. Why didn't I know about this? Why did I leave her when she needed  me the most?
 

"Where are you going? We have other matters to discuss, and I haven't seen you in a very long time. Please, stay." Timothy began to panic. Sending his son away was the hardest thing he'd ever had to do. Having Taecyeon leave again, would break him.
 

"Eomeonim can't lose that place. If she does, she'll lose her horses. They're like children to her. Mianhamnida, but I have to get back to Yeongam.I'll work day in and day out if I have to, to save her home."
 

"Taecyeon..." Timothy smiled at his son. He had never been so proud of this young man standing in front of him, and all his worry melted away. He was so used to his son running from responsibility, and now, here he was, running to help someone he wasn't responsible for at all.
 

"What is it? I have to leave."
 

"You're rich."
 

"Please don't start on me about money. I'm not like I was."
 

"I know this, adeul. It's evident that you've changed. But you're rich. You've blown money left and right and for all the wrong reasons. But you say this Roxie-ssi is important to you?"
 

"She is very important to me. She's...family."
 

"Then family should stick together." Timothy pushed the button on his desk, and James entered the study shortly thereafter.
 

"May I be of assistance,Sajanghim?"
 

"James, I need a bag packed as quickly as possible."
 

"What climate, Sajanghim?"
 

"We will also need the jet. We have to get to Yeongam."
 

"Very well." He turned and quickly left the room.
 

"We?" Taecyeon didn't know what to think.
 

"We're family, Taecyeon. Let's put all of our resources to good work!"Timothy smiled when his son ran to him and threw his arms around his shoulders.
 

"Gamsahamnida. I don't know what to say."
 

"Well, you will have to think of something to say, because Roxie-ssi doesn't know who you really are."
 

"Oh God..."

*-*-*-*

 

The flight to Yeongam was welcomed. It gave Timothy and his son time to fill in the blanks. Timothy couldn't believe what a wonderful man Taecyeon had become and was excited to hand over the business to him. But now wasn't the time to approach company business. Even though he didn't believe Roxie was out to bring his son harm, he had to meet her in person. If he found something that didn't set well with him, he could have Taecyeon out of there quickly.
 

As the jet lowered, Timothy looked at the rolling, green hills of Yeongam. He'd never been here either, and couldn't believe how beautiful the land was. When he was selecting a place to send his son, he and James put up a map on his office wall and threw darts at the country. Most of them ended up in the ocean. The first dart to make it to the land was one thrown by the butler. It hit Yeongam.
 

Taecyeon led his father through the airport at a fast pace.
 

"You're going to have to slow down some. I'm not a young man anymore."
 

"Mianhamnida, Appa, but I need to get to the farm."
 

"Where are you going? A limo is picking us up here at the door. Where is the damn thing?" Timothy was getting angry.
 

"We don't have to wait for a limo. There's no time."
 

Taecyeon walked out to the parking lot, and there stood the old faithful red pickup. He reached in his pocket and pulled out the key. He opened up the passenger door without a second thought, then turned to see his fat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter