SARANGHAE

THIS LITTLE TOWN
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter



Upon arriving at the airport, Shin Hye's phone rang. It was the bar. She let it ring three times, and thought of letting it go to voicemail. If it was that woman, she could decide whether or not to call back. But then again it could be her uncle. She decide to take a chance and answer it.

"Shin Hye."

"Look,--"

"Your uncle had a heart attack! Can you get here? I don't know what to do. They put him on a helicopter. I'm so scared!"

"Oh God..." Shin Hye's face lost its color as the phone dropped from her hand to the floor.

"Shin Hye." Taecyeon got a sinking feeling in his gut. "Is everything okay?"

"...My uncle had a heart attack, and I need money to get to Yeongam. If you could loan me money..." Tears were instantly spilling over.

"Come with me." He grabbed her hand and ran to the jet.
 

Once they boarded, Taecyeon told the pilot, "Kim Soo Hyun-ssi, there's been a change. We have an emergency in Yeongam. Change the flight plan and get us there as soon as possible."

Shin Hye watched the pilot nod then return to the cockpit. She overheard him asking someone to hurry and bring the luggage onboard from the limo. She had to walk slowly to get to a seat. Her legs were getting ready to defy her, and her stomach was turning.

"Come here, Shin Hye." He wrapped his arms around her as she sobbed.

"I shouldn't have left him!"

"It's my fault. You left because I drove you away." One more thing I failed at. Taecyeon couldn't help but feel like ,but ended up creating a big miss, just so he could fix his own.

"He's the only family I have besides Nolan." She let Taecyeon hold her until she felt composed enough to sit straight.

He watched her stare out the window with a blank look on her face and a vacancy in her eyes. "Where are your parents, Shin Hye?"

She continued to look out the window. Her voice was quiet and low when she answered him a couple of minutes later. "When I was a child I was sent to visit Uncle Lawrence. I didn't know that it wasn't just a visit. My parents wanted a new life, so they left and stopped all contact. My uncle is my father's brother, so he adopted me. After the adoption, they even stopped contacting him. Being abandoned wasn't any fun. I've spent my life feeling that I wasn't good enough, and living with the fear of people leaving me has made life more than difficult."

"I might not be part of your family, but you'll always have me, even if it's just as a friend," said Taecyeon. He pulled her closer and wanted more than anything for her to believe him. Seeing her like this was crushing him.

You'll get to know me, then you'll leave too, thought Shin Hye.

Before landing, Taecyeon got out his phone. He called the two hospitals and asked if Park Lawrence was a patient there. Finally he was getting somewhere with the second call; the operator transferred him to the emergency department.

"Hello, do you have an Mr.Park Lawrence there?"

"We really can't give out any information over the phone. Is this a relative?"

"Yes, my name is Ok Taecyeon, and I'm thirty-five thousand feet in the air. I have his niece with me, Ms.Park Shin Hye. I'd really appreciate it if you'd tell me so I know which hospital to go to." Taecyeon was trying to remain patient.

"He'll be here shortly, Mr. Ok Taecyeon. He's being airlifted. We're one of the top trauma centers in the area, so don't you worry. We'll take great care of him."

"Okay, we'll be right behind him as quick as we land."

Taecyeon rang the intercom for the flight attendant.

"What could I get for you, Mr. Ok Taecyeon?"

"I need transportation at the airport to get to the hospital. We don't have time to wait once we land."

"I'll make the arrangements." She briskly walked away.

*-*-*-*

A limo was waiting, and luckily they weren't too far from the hospital. As soon as they walked through the doors, the overhead intercom announced a code blue in the emergency department, and then the message was repeated, over and over again.

A panicked Shin Hye, blurted "Oh my God!"

"There are lots of patients here, so it might not be your uncle. Come with me to the desk." Taecyeon put an arm around her and walked to the counter in the lobby.

"Has Mr. Park Lawrence arrived yet? We're his family." Taecyeon hoped the code blue wasn't for her uncle.

"He's being examined. I'll need to get some information from you. Just have a seat over there and I'll get the paperwork."

Shin Hye sat in the chair and gave Admissions all the information she could, but they weren't allowed to see him. Taecyeon tried to get her to sit beside him, but all she did was pace. An hour later, a physician stepped out to the lobby and escorted them to a private conference room.

"Hi, I'm Doctor Kang. Are you Park Shin Hye-ssi, Park Lawrence-ssi niece?"

"Yes, is he okay?'

"He's conscious, but he's had a heart attack."

"...Is he going to make it?" asked Shin Hye.

"We won't know the extent of the damage for a while. But there are some positive findings so far. Do you live close by?"

"No, we live in Seoul," offered Taecyeon.

"There are locals hotels you can stay at. He's going to be here for a several days."

"When he's stable enough to be moved, I want him on a medical flight to Seoul. Then he can recover at our house."

"Thank you, Taecyeon, but I think he should stay hospitalized. The only problem is my uncle doesn't have insurance, but I'll find a way to pay anything he needs."

"Sir, I agree with Ms.Park. I can understand you wanting to be with him throughout his treatment, but he's going to need care by specialists," said Doctor Kang.

"I can get him whatever he needs. I'll hire a private physician and staff. I'll have a room converted."

"We need to take things one step at a time." The doctor felt sorry for the couple. The young man obviously had no medical knowledge, but was so aeger  to help. Hopefully the cost would deter him from trying to set any plans in motion. "What you're thinking about doing is going to cost a very large amount of money."

"I can afford it." Taecyeon wasn't about to argue.

"It will cost an enormous amount of money for the flight and the rehabilitative care. I don't think you understand just how expensive this kind of treatment will be. It'll be quite a while before we could approve a transfer anyway. This is a very good facility and Mr. Park will be in great hands. Again, please consider the cost." Doctor Kang tried to be persuasive.

"That's okay," Taecyeon thought about his company. "I have billions."

"I'm so scared!" Shin Hye whispered as a nurse escorted them through double doors. They'd been waiting hours for this moment.

"Shin Hye, hold my hand. We're in this together, okay? You don't have to worry about anything. I will get your uncle everything he needs."

The nurse escorting them stopped before they got near his room. "Your uncle has another set of blood work in three hours. I just wanted you to see he was alive and getting medical treatment. We'll know more in the morning, so it'd be best if you get some rest. The doctor will be in to do his rounds early, and he'll be checked on throughout the night. Mr. Park will be moved to the cardiac intensive care unit when they get a bed available," the nurse explained in a reassuring voice.

Shin Hye walked in, softly kissed her uncle's cheek, and told him she loved him. She thanked the nurse and walked out the door, trying to stifle a sob.

Taecyeon gave the nurses at the desk his number in case it was written wrong in the chart. He wished there was something he could do. He felt helpless.

"I should stay. You can go get some rest or fly back to Seoul, but I can't leave him." Shin Hye was unable to maintain her composure. She felt horrible inside, and should have been there to help her uncle. Maybe he wouldn't have had to work so hard.

Taecyeon pulled her close to him and whispered in her ear. "The nurse was right. We have a long day ahead of us, and I promise to get the closest room to the hospital. I don't want you to feel like you're alone in this. I'm not going anywhere okay? We'll sleep for a couple of hours, then we'll head back up. Come with me, Shin Hye, the staff will take care of him."

Following the staff's recommendations, Taecyeon walked Shin Hye to the hotel which was directly across the street.

"This is the room you can stay in. I'll find one close to yours."

"No! Please stay with me." Shin Hye wrapped both of her hands around his forearm.

"Okay," he softly said and closed the door behind him. He got the extra blanket off the rack and sat down in the chair by the wall in the small room. "We didn't get the luggage from the limo. I'll have it brought to the room in the morning or I can call and have some night clothes delivered. I'm sorry I screwed that up."

"You didn't screw anything up. I can't thank you enough for everything." She  reached up and kissed him on the cheek. "I'm going to lie down so I can be up soon." Shin Hye stretched out on the bed.What if he dies?He looked horrible lying there. The tears leaked from her eyes.

Taecyeon listened to her trying to muffle sobs in the darkness. Slowly, he took the blanket off himself and lay down next to her. He pulled her toward him and spooned with this woman he cared so deeply for. His thoughts never even went to lust. He kissed her cheek and rocked her slowly in his arms.

Taecyeon had gotten so used to waking up at five in the morning that he crawled out of bed an hour before the alarm was to go off. He took his phone to the bathroom and called the hospital.

"The doctor has been in to see him several times. Have some breakfast and then come on up and visit him briefly.He's in the cardiac intensive care unit now," said the nurse.

"Thank you very much." Taecyeon knelt beside the bed and brushed the hair off of Shin Hye's face. She slowly opened her eyes, then sat up quickly. "Is he alright?!"

"He's doing okay and we have permission to visit him. I was told we should have some breakfast, then come up and see him." Taecyeon spoke softly, to get her to calm back down.

"I'm not very hungry," she said as she pulled the blankets up under her chin.

"You're eating." He winked at her. After getting cleaned up, they went to the restaurant next door and order breakfast. Taecyeon laughed to himself over his past. He wouldn't be caught dead wearing the same clothes two days in a row.

 

*-*-*-*
 

Timothy was worried about his son. He pressed the button and waited for James.

"Good morning, Sajangnim," James said after he entered the study and stood in front of Timothy's desk.

"Have you heard anything more from Taecyeon?" Timothy asked quickly. He felt very worried.

"He is with Shin Hye at the hospital. The pilot took them to Yeongam to be with her uncle. He's had a heart attack, but I haven't gotten word on his condition."

"I'm going to call," said Timothy as he lifted the phone.

"I doubt Taecyeon can talk if he's with Shin Hye. His phone isn't going to work near all that emergency equipment. It's best if you wait for him to contact you," explained James.

"I suppose you're right." He signed heavily and set the phone back down.

"The horses should be arriving  today. Roxie is so happy this morning," said James.

"Yes, she even laughed in her sleep. She was just like a little girl," beamed Timothy.

"What?" James chuckled.

"Oh, never mind, he quickly replied while waving his hand.

"You're blushing, Sajangnim."

"I suppose I am, James, I suppose I am." Timothy winked at James and watched him leave the study.

 

*-*-*-*

Taecyeon walked behind Shin Hye as they stepped onto the intensive care unit.

"We're here to see Mr.Park Lawrence," said Taecyeon to the unit clerk.

The doctor was coming up the hall and overheard his patient's name. He approached with his hand outstretched. "I'm Doctor Choi. I wanted to speak to you before you visit your uncle."

"Is he okay?" asked Shin Hye.

"He's had a heart attack, but thankfully it wasn't real severe. He's going to have a long recovery though."The doctor smiled and put his hand on Shin Hye's shoulder.

"What happened to him?" She was feeling even more guilt about not being in town.

"Apparently he dropped down to the ground with chest pain. He never lost consciousness and, luckily, there isn't a lot of heart damage. It's imperative your uncle changes his lifestyle and diet, which will be part of his plan in the recovery process. I plan to work on this with him while he's under my care."

"Did his heart stop?" Please tell me no. She continued to beat herself up.

"No, it never stopped. I understand you want some of his rehabilitation to take place in Seoul?"

"Yes, that's correct," replied Taecyeon.

"He can't travel for a while yet. I appreciate your efforts to stay actively invloved in his rehabilitation,but this is the best place he could be in." The doctor's pager went off. "I have another patient to see. Enjoy your visit with your uncle. Try to keep things low key when you're with him so his blood pressure doesn't rise."

"I won't upset him. Thank you, Doctor." Shin Hye and Taecyeon shook his hand and then headed for Lawrence's room. They heard him in the hallway.

"I'm not drinking that, it taste like sewer water! Can't you get me some real stuff?"

Shin Hye stopped the nurse."Why is my uncle yelling?"

"He wants regular coffee and he can't have caffeine.His diet is very strict and he isn't happy." The nurse smiled and let out a long sigh.

"May we see him now?" She was both anxious and scared at the same time.

"You sure can. Remember he's still weak, so if he seems like he's wearing out, let him rest.

They walked into Lawrence's room and saw him sitting up in bed with his eyes closed.

"We should come back," whispered Shin Hye.

"Nonsense! Come in, Shin Hye-ah." His voice was shaky. He looked ten years older.

"How do you feel?" She kissed him on the cheek and held his hand.

"Okay, I guess. I just wish they'd shut all this damn equipment off and take these needles out of my arms, maybe give me a cup of coffee and some decent food!" yelled Lawrence.

"Uncle Lawrence, do you remember Kim Donghee?"

"Sure do, how you been? I see you found Shin Hye!" he laughed.

"Good to see you, Mr.Park. My real name is Ok Taecyeon. It's a long story which I'll explain some day when you're feeling better." He looked at Shin Hye, saw her expression, and immediately wished he wouldn't have said anything.

Shin Hye grimaced when she saw her uncle's brow furrow.

"Uncle Lawrence, how has the bar been doing?" Shin Hye needed to change the topic. The last thing she wanted was to get him riled up. Being lied to was a sure way down the path.

"Pretty bad. I lose money every month, and this last week I had to borrow a few just to make payroll."

"Uncle, do you think it was the stress from that place?" Shin Hye hated to bring up the topic, but she felt he could clearly see what his lifestyle was doing to him.

"I think so. That and the doctor says my diet isn't anything to brag about."

"I don't think you should go back and try to run the bar. I also don't believe you were seeing a doctor like you said. This really scares me, Uncle." Shin Hye put her hand on his cheek.

"I know you're just worried, but it's my job. If I don't do that, what the hell else will I do? The town's pretty dead, and I can't survive on my good looks! I can't even afford to pay these medical bills I'm racking up. This is going to cost me a lot." He started to laugh.

Shin Hye could tell his laughter wasn't real. "Uncle, when you get discharged, I want you to come with me. I'll explain things later, but living in that town with no one taking care of you, the bar failing, and the building falling apart, isn't a way to live." She didn't know how she was going to manage it, but he was the only family she had.

"I'm not going to be a burden on you."

"Uncle, you're not going to be a burden. We would love to have you, and I think you'd get along well with my abeoji. He'd enjoy the company, and he's a good man. We need you to concentrate on getting better, not worrying about medical bills."

Shin Hye looked at Taecyeon with her eyes wide. She'd deal with him later. The last thing she was willing to do was involve her uncle in her plans for Seoul. She'd take him back to Jeju with her.

"What's your abeoji do?" Lawrence didn't want to explain to the young, clueless man who probably had no financial responsibility.

"He's in the shipping business," smiled Taecyeon, hoping his answer was good enough.

"Oh, yeah. Like packages and stuff. Does he have his own mail store like in the city? They got a pretty good one there," smiled Lawrence. He knew how hard those people worked.

"No, not that kind of shipping. He has vessels," Taecyeon felt he needed to be honest. He didn't want to lie to the man.

"Really? I never met anyone who did that. Does he get seasick? Even if he's a captain, being on a boat can do your stomach in," said Lawrence while he rubbed his stomach.

"No he owns them. Many in fact." He looked over at Shin Hye and didn't see any signs of disapproval on her face.

"...So your abeoji is a rich man I take it." Lawrence genuinely smiled. She found a keeper.
 

Shin Hye could see his wheels turning. He'd always told her to find herself a nice rich man so she wouldn't have to struggle. "Uncle, don't worry about that. The point is, I want us to be together."

"Uncle, come to Seoul with us," said Taecyeon as he looked the man in his eyes.

"You're a couple now?" Lawrence let out one of his boisterous laughs. "Shin Hye, did you think I wouldn't figure it out? Even when you were a little you couldn't fool me." He opened his arms wide and gave her a small hug.

"No, not a couple, just friends." Her cheeks turned red and she busied herself with the nightstand.

"That's a bunch of bull. Look, I lost the woman I loved fifteen years ago. Don't assume the person you long to be with will be there the next day. Stop wasting time." 

"We're going to let you get some rest, Uncle. We'll be back in a couple of hours, okay? We have to get our luggage."

"What the hell happened to your luggage? The airport eat it?"

"We accidently left it--"

Taecyeon cut her off. "Yeah,it's in the car." He was glad Shin Hye was ending the visit so the poor man wouldn't end up too overwhelmed. He stood up and looked at her beautiful face.

I'll definitely have to work on the 'just friends' part.
 

*-*-*-*
 

When the area for the horses was complete, Timothy got Roxie and led her outside by the hand. He did a good job of keeping her away from that side of the mansion so he could surprise her. He'd also warned all the staff so they wouldn't blow it.

"Okay, Yeobo. Now you have to close your beautiful eyes."

Roxie smiled, closed her eyes, and let him lead her around the side of the estate. When he had her standing in front of the new red barn, he bent down, kissed her lips softly, and t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter