NEW IDENTITY

THIS LITTLE TOWN
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Ok Taecyeon

 

 Ok Taecyeon reached into his pocket and held out the beautiful, emerald necklace for his date. He'd met this woman in a night club two weeks before. He certainly didn't give her the expensive jewelry because of any emotional attachement on his part. The rich bachelor was careful about keeping a collection of extraordinary gifts inside of his penthouse to give to the women who pleased him the most. This was the second date with her in a week, and she was very good at satisfying his needs without hounding him about a relationship. Any such talk on that subject warranted indefinite distance. Taecyeon was a player and was perfectly happy with that decision. Life was just to short.

    On their first date,Taecyeon had given her a pair of sapphire earrings, so she made out well. The women he attracted were gold diggers, but he didn't mind. They met his needs without any sort of commitment. When he needed a date, he had a large list of beautiful women to choose from.These young, gorgeous models kept themselves available because they were lavished in finer things. On occasion, he'd sense some maternal instinct rearing its ugly head and go running.
    Taecyeon drove home exhausted. It was four in the morning, but he had to make sure he had a date for tonight's party. He immediately dial the phone number, of one of his girlfriends, He'd never have to worry this one trying to dig claws into him. Their relationship was understood: date, , gifts, go home... in that order. When women spent the night, they always seemed to leave a few things behind. He wasn't ignorant to the fact that it was intentional, but it was also another sign. Before he knew it, they'd have their toothbrush in his bathroom, then clothes... No thanks. 
    He quickly drove home with wonderful thoughts of living in dreamland until noon at least. After all, that's what weekends were for.
    The last thing he expected on his day to sleep in was a phone call at eight in the morning.He'd only slept for three hours and was ready to rip someone's head off when he picked up the phone.
    "Be in my study in one hour, Taecyeon!"
    Before he could object,the line went dead. It was Saturday for God's sake. But he knew there wouldn't be a choice when summoned directly by his father and was positive the meeting would go badly, especially with that voice tone. He showered, downed a cup of coffee, and walked out the door. He had a bad feeling about this meeting.
 

*******
    

Taecyeon approached his father's mansion with sweaty palms and a slight tremor. He had no idea why the great Timothy Ok had demanded his presence but, whatever it was, he wasn't looking forward to finding out. He'd listened to the older man's loud, boisterous voice many times, but had never him sound like this before. His mind was quickly going every topic he could think of. What did I do now?
    When he walked inside the front entrance, Taecyeon strained his ear in hopes of overhearing something so he could prepare himself, but the house was quit. He knocked softly before opening the heavy door to the study, and even though there was instant eye contact between him and his father, no words were spoken until he sat in the chair. Just like a switch got turn on, he listened while his father roared at him. All he could do was try and be quiet until the old man calmed down some. Anything he said would just add fuel to the fire.
    Timothy Ok glared at his son from across the large mahogany desk. He was broad shouldered and always impeccably dressed, which just added to his intimidating. "Are you listening to me, Taecyeon?
    "Yes, I hear you loud and clear." He was beginning to squirm. He hadn't seen his father this angry in years, and his fury was always directed at other business men... never at him. But on this day, Taecyeon could tell his father's blood vessels were ready to pop any second. He wished he could pretend he didn't understand, but he did every single word.
    "You're making a joke of this family! Your eomeoni, God rest her soul, is probably turning over in her grave. This has got to stop!" he demanded." You promised me you'd turn over a new leaf this year, and here it is, the end of March, and you've gotten more out of control!"
    "I'm sorry about the car." Taecyeon was relieved that this was the culprit
    "The car?The car"
    "Okay, cars..." Taecyeon looked down at his watch when his father averted his eyes and hoped he wouldn't be detained for too long.
    "You know I love you, you're my only child. I am sixty-nine years old and would love to hand over my reins to you!But how can I?"
    "I can run the business, and you're aware of that." I wish he'd just talk and stop screaming.
    "And what do you think you'll do? Destroy it like you have every single vehicle I've given to you? Run it without dedication and perseverance? Perhaps you could run it while you're chasing women!"
    "Abeoji, I don't see it as a big deal. I'm young, and I know I get careless sometimes, but vehicles are easily replaced." He knew that if his father wasn't so old fashion, none of this would be a problem.
    "Easily? I got this far by working hard. Very hard! I started OkCat Seas Group from the ground up. I was born into poverty, Taecyeon as was your mother, God rest her soul, and we worked incredibly hard. All you have done is taken everything for granted. You were pampered and that's my fault. How do they say it? You never worked a day in your life."
    "That isn't true. I've gone to work with many times.."
    "You call flirting with secretaries, going out for 3 hours lunches, working?"
    "I love attractive women.Is that so bad?" He immediately knew the small laughter he allowed to escape his mouth was a huge mistake.
    "I did not bring you in here to argue. Do you want to take over my shipping business?"
    "You know I do. I'm your only child, who else would you give it to?"
    "Henry"
    "You would give Henry the company? He isn't even a family!"
    "Henry has been a devoted employee for two decades."
    "He's nothing but a go-to boy. I hardly think that gives him any kind of skill at running the company".
    Normally by this time, Taecyeon would see his father start to soften. But there was no hint of Timothy Ok backing down at all. It was this fierceness that got the old shipping mogul his billions but, unfortunately, it wasn't working on his son. Come hell or high water, the times were going to change. Just when Taecyeon though the old man was relaxing a bit an eerie silence filled the room. He began to squirm again.
    "If you want, you're going to have to show me you'd be willing to start from the bottom. It is only then that you'll actually value my business, make our family proud, and take care of it! You need to learn about life, not about blowing money and bedding women!"
    "I think you're underestimating me. I am more than capable of running this business."Stop yelling, please...
    "You're eomeoni, she worked just hard as hard as I did. She did so much work it wasn't even funny. She worked until her hands would be crippling her with pain from hours on a typewriter,for God sakes!And here you are, 26 years old,acting like you're 16".
    "Okay,I get your point. What do I have to do to prove that I'm capable of running OkCat Seas Groups?" Taecyeon left no time for a reply from his father." I know the business. I know how to run a competitive shipping business. I know the ins and outs of doing all of it."
    "You aren't responsible enough. You take everything in life for granted, and I've told you this many times! You many know how to run the business, but you would run it into the ground. You don't care about anything other than playing like a schoolboy. You have no appreciation and no respect!"
    "I have my own place, I pay my bills on time..."
    "You live in a penthouse in Gangnam, which I paid for. You have charge accounts that I pay for, and you bed a new women every single night. You wreck cars, you..."
    "What is it you want me to do?" Taecyeon was finally ready to get to the bottom line. He'd let his father answer the question while he waited quitly. Another long, deafening silence fell upon the study. He couldn't stand it.
    "Well, I'm so glad you ask..." Timothy reached down to the bottom drawer and pulled out a file. He slowly slid it across the desk. With his fingers linked behind his head, he leaned back in his chair and smiled. All stress seemed to leave the old man's face.
    Taecyeon picked up the file and cautiously opened it."What is this?Who is Donghee Kim, and why d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter