GOODBYE....

THIS LITTLE TOWN
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Taecyeon went outside and hope he'd spot Roxie. The arguing he soon heard made him run to the side of the house. Bruce was yelling, and Roxie was speaking in a firm voice that Taecyeon had never heard her use before.
 

"What's going on,Eomeonim?" he interrupted as his protective insticts kicked it. He stepped between the two and face Bruce.
 

"Nothing, Donghee-ah. We just agree to disagree sometimes," said Roxie as she stepped in front of Taecyeon and smile at him. Bruce kicked the dirt and walked off.
 

"Why was Bruce-hyeong yelling at you?" He didn't like the looks of any of it. He never heard anything but peace on this quiet farm. Taecyeon was tempted to grab the man by the scruff of the neck and make him apologize. How could anyone get angry with Roxie? Something's not right here.
 

"Sometimes he forgets that he doesn't own things and that he can't push me around. It's okay though, we're the best of friends and we'd never bring harm to one another." She gave him a hug and stared at him inquisitively. She knew there  were things on his mind from his mood changes. She stared at his face for a minute, and watched him take a deep breath and sigh. "What is it, Donghee-ah? What has you so out of sorts?"
 

"Can we sit down and talk,Eomeonim?"
 

"Of course. I was just getting ready to make a nice cup of coffee if you'd care to join me." She hooked her arm in his. She could clearly see that Donghee was forcing himself to smile.They walked inside the house, and she stayed hopeful that he'd come to talk about his trouble. She hated to see him down like he'd been.
 

"Eomeonim," began Taecyeon when they were both seated. "Do you have someone who can take my place here at the farm?"
 

"Are you leaving? Is something wrong?" Roxie asked hesitantly.
 

Taecyeon looked at her, and knew his words would sting. "Im afraid it's time for me to go back to Seoul. But I want you to know you did more for me than you'll ever know. I'm not going to leave you hanging. I refuse to go until I know you're going to be okay,Eomeonim."
 

"That's awfully sweet of you, but I can get another farm help. I just need to put the ads back up." Roxie tried to smile so she wouldn't cry. She had gotten so close to him, and couldn't imagine finding someone who could replace Donghee. She knew she had no right to try and keep him here.
 

"I'll stick around until you find another man to help you out here. You can't be working as hard as you do,Eomeonim." Taecyeon had been concerned about the amount of work this older woman was doing for months. It just wasn't right. He reached out and gently held her hand. Part of him wanted to spill his guts, scoop Roxie up in his arms and take her to a better life. He felt horrible for leaving her behind, but he promised himself he'd never forget to come back and help her.
 

"Nonsense. I thank you for you concern, but I've been doing this all my life. This farm belonged to my late husband. I played here when I was a little girl, worked the land when I got older, and eventually ended marrying my childhood friend. When the land went up for sale, he bought it, and my husband and his father built this house." Roxie paused as she thought about how her life could have been so very different. She never wanted to run a farm, but her husband had been adamant about it. It was the role she married into, not one that she chose. Roxie looked at Donghee's face and saw his worry. "I'm sure your eomeonie and abeoji will be happy their son is coming home!"
 

"My abeoji will be happy to see me. My eomeonie died giving birth to me. I'm their only child."
 

Roxie looked at him with such compassion, then stood up to give him a close hug. "I always wanted children, but my late husband wasn't able to provide those. But I have my four-legged children!" She laughed at her reference to the horses. Adding humor to the situation was her only hope from crying. She didn't want Donghee's last memories of her to be a face full of tears. He had a right to a great life, and she'd do anything she could to make it easier for him.
 

He wasn't laughing. "I'm going to give you ways you can contact me. If you ever need anything, let me know and I'll be on the first plane. I plan on coming back to visit you real soon. I promise you that,Eomeonim."
 

"You're young, and you shouldn't be worrying yourself about a stubborn old woman. Now you just go pack your things, and I'll check on flights to Seoul for you."
 

"Gamsahamnida,Eomeonim. How about I stay just until you find someone---"
 

"Donghee-ah, if you don't go I'm going to fire you!" She laughed and pecked him on the cheek, then turned to take the cups to the sink.
 

"I'll come and say goodbye before I take off,Eomeonim."
 

She could only nod in response while she got busy washing the empty cups. She didn't trust her voice. When she heard the door close, she sobbed. Even though they weren't blood related, Donghee was the only person she considered family besides her mother. She felt like she was losing a son, one that she'd waited forever to have.
 

Taecyeon went in his room and checked on his phone for flight times and ticket costs. He was pleased at how much he'd collected underneath the matress. If he hurried, he could be at the airport to catch a flight that would depart in a few hours. He kept a one million won just in case something happened and he ended up stranded. He walked up to the house and saw Roxie, busy typing at the old computer.
 

"You don't have to look. I found a flight that leaves here in a few hours. I just came to tell you goodbye and to thank you for everything you've done for me. It's been a true pleasure working for you. I can't tell you how glad I am that I got to know you. You're incredible,Eomeonim." Taecyeon wrapped his arms around her and held her close. He kissed her cheek and promised to see her soon, while he slipped the remainder of all his money in her sweater pocket.
 

"You behave yourself out there, Donghee-ah. Remember you'll always have a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter