NEW BEGINNING

THIS LITTLE TOWN
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

       Taecyeon went down to the grocery store and looked on the bulletin board. He remember seeing help wanted notifications and hoped there were some jobs available, or at least  some jobs he was willing to do.

       Jason saw him standing in the entrance and wandered over to see if the young, strong man was looking for work.

                "Donghee,isn't it?" Jason struck his hand out.
                "Yes, Donghee Kim."
                "You looking to get a job? I could use some help around here."
               "Sure, I wouldn't mind helping out." Yes, I so would. Taecyeon couldn't wait to hear the job details. He tried not to laugh.
               "Well, I can't pay you but minimum wage, and I don't offer benefits. I just need someone for three days a week, and it's pretty much basic work. Stocking shelves, running the cash register, bagging groceries, collecting the produce and eggs from local farmers, answering the phone, and being here at five in the morning to get the pick-ups finished. 

                 "I was looking at doing some farm work to be  honest."
               "Well, head on out to Fairhaven Farm. It's about eight kilometers north of here. Just stay on this road and mention that Jason sent you, it'll help you get the job."
       "Uh, okay, thank you." God....
   

 

        He found the entrance to Fairhaven Farm. It was a pretty good size, thought Taecyeon, who didn't know anything about farms to begin with. A woman with short gray hair, stepped out of the house wearing jeans and a light blue short sleeve shirt.
                        "Can I help you with something?"
                        "Yes, Ma'am is your husband here?" 

                        "He sure is."

                        "Can I see him, please?" Taecyeon was trying not to get impatient again.

                      "Sure, You're more than welcome to see him. Just go on back about twenty acres and you'll find the man you're looking for. Just dig him up first or he might not hear you."
                    "What?"
   

           "My name is Roxie Fairhaven. I run this farm just fine on my own. My husband has been dead for over ten years."
           "Oh, I'm so sorry, Ma'am. I didn't mean to upset you and I shouldn't have assumed that it was your husband I needed to speak with."
           "You and every man that comes here. It's okay, I'm used to it. You got a name?"
           "Donghee Kim, it's a pleasure to meet you Ma'am." Taecyeon put his hand out, and Roxie squeezed it tight enough to mimic any man's firm shake.
           "What can I do for you, Mr. Kim?" 

           "Please, call me Donghee. I was looking for some work. Are you hiring?"

           "I can always use a spare set of hands. I'm not getting any younger." With her boots off, she couldnt't possibly stand taller than five foot.
           "When do I start?"
           "I pay well for hard work, and I offer the room in the back of the barn free of charge if you need a place to stay. I also feed my workers during the week; keep us treating each  other like a family. Breakfast is at five."
           "I have an apartment," Taecyeon cringed as he referred to that place as an actual residence.
           "Oh, where you staying?"
           "I think it's called Pines."
           "That damn place Cindy runs?"
           "I'm thinking we're talking about the same place. I'm in apartment four."
           "You need to go get your things and come on back here.I'll show you the place. It's definitely better than there. Make sure you get your money back. She isn't supposed to be renting out those rooms until she cleans them up. She's had three warnings so far from the town. 
           "Could I see it first? I trust you and all, but it's just the way I function I guess." Live in a barn...
           "What's your job Donghee before you came to this town?"
   

    Taecyeon was dumbfounded. He didn't even think about having to answer a question like this.
     

        "I worked at a Lamborghini dealership. I spent too much time there over the course of a couple months. I just wanted to take life in the slow lane for a bit." It doesn't get  slower than this town.
         "Come on, Donghee. I'll show you where you can stay."
   

              Taecyeon wasn't expecting what he saw. He thought maybe there'd be some loose hay for him to sleep on, with hopes of not getting stabbed by a forgotten pitchfork in the pile. What he saw lifted his mood and made him smile. There was a large, separate thick-walled room built onto the back of the barn. He could either enter it through the horse stables or use the outside entrance that went directly to his room. Both doors had locks. The bed was queen size with a thick mattress and box spring, and a beautiful quilt with small blue flowers was spread on top, which Roxie had informed him she made. There was a window with a white curtain, a small table, television, lamp, and microwave. It smelled clean.
     

              "Well, what do you think? You can hear the horses at night if they're talking, but that's why the room is here. I want to make sure my babies are safe. If something happens I know that help for them is only a few steps away. You also have a phone, it's in the nightstand, and I can give you the number if you decide to move in. You're welcome to use the internet inside the house if it's working, and the shower. All I ask is that you clean up after yourself. I pay once a week, but if you're short on cash I can pay you a little each day. I only pay in cash."
     

              "I'll take it! When can I move in and start working?" Taecyeon was so excited he almost began to stutter.
             "You can move in today and start work tomorrow. Set your alarm for five and come on up to the house. I'll have breakfast waiting for you and the coffee will be brewing. I keep the room clean but, like I said, I expect for you to pick up after yourself."
             "Thank you so much, Miss Roxie."
   

            Taecyeon drove quickly to his apartment packed his few belongings, dropped the key off to Cindy, and asked her for a refund for the remainder of the month. He said if she didn't give him the money he'd be happy to talk to an attorney and call the health department. Cindy quickly handed over the 350,000 won in cash.
     

                     "You charge people 400,000 to live in this place?" Taecyeon laughed and shook his head. The next stop is to see Shin Hye. Hopefully he'd find her.


                                                                                                                                 
   

 

                He heard her singing before he actually saw her. Shin Hye had a voice that made him close his eyes just so he could concentrate on the sound. Her music seemed to come  from a place he had no idea existed. There was a very little in this life that Taecyeon could tolerate for long durations, but he could easily sit and listen to her sing forever.
     

                    "Donghee, I didn't know anyone was in here!" Shin Hye had been bugging her uncle to put a bell on the door.
 

               He noticed how cute she was when her face was flushed. "You can keep singing if you'd like. Your voice is absolutely beautiful. You sing like an angel, Shin Hye."
                 "Yeah right," she said as she blushed even further. "We have some karaoke contest on Saturday nights. I sing sometimes."

                     "Remind me to stop by." Taecyeon gave her a warm smile. He couldn't take his eyes off of hers.
                         

                   "Can I get you anything,Donghee?"
                   "Nah, I just stopped by to give this to you." He reached in his pocket and pulled out the money that he owe's and handed it to her.

                   "I wanted to thank you for being so kind and apologize for the way I acted at the apartment. I moved so I don't have to worry about that place anymore."
                   "You moved away?" Shin Hye asked suddenly. She didn't mean to sound so panicked.
                  "Just up to Fairhaven Farm. Miss Roxie offered me the room there and I got a job working for her. Anything is better than where I was. As a matter of fact, you'll have to come by sometimes. It's a pretty nice little place." It's an eight of the size of my bathroom in my penthouse,thought Taecyeon as he laughed to himself.
                  "I'm the one who needs to apologize. I shouldn't have called you a pig."
     

                   "No harm done.I'm going to head on up there and get my room ready. I didn't get much sleep last night." He had horrible visions of the bugs crawling all over him when  he shut his eyes. He spent most of the night sitting in his truck.
                 

               "Good luck, and I hope to see you around." Shin Hye stood there staring at him. Her gorgeous dark brown eyes were creating quite a stir in Taecyeon. She took a step toward him and stopped. She'd meant to walk around the cute stranger. Taecyeon let his hands move around her waist and pull her into him. She made a small sound, the quickly backed up. He could see her breathing faster.
   

                  "I'm sorry, I need to check the bathrooms and they're right behind you."
                 "Oh,forgive me. I'll see you soon I hope. Take care of yourself." Taecyeon winked and turned around to go through the door. He was forcing himself to leave before he pulled  out all stops and seduced her.
               "Wait!" Shin Hye grabbed a napkin from the bar and wrote her number on it. "You don't know anyone around here yet, so in case you need something you can give me a call." Her cheeks blushed one more time for him as he took the number, smiled, and walked backwards to the door. Their eyes were still locked.
 

                                  Taecyeon was still smiling when his phone rang. The caller made his smile leave.
     

           

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter