Chapter 4

A Love Yet To Be Realized

Classes resume at Raira High School. Minseok and Luhan’s class are now starting their fourth period.

 

Minseok blankly stares outside. He doesn’t want to listen because he doesn’t like Geography. There’s no need to study that; I won’t probably even go to those places, Minseok thought. Although travelling is one of Minseok’s dreams, he knows that his life right now can’t afford that.

 

Suddenly, he feels a poke on his elbow. He turns his head to Luhan who is smiling at him, like always. Luhan points to his desk. He looks down and sees a piece of folded paper. He unfolds it and written on it is: Do you want to eat somewhere after school?

 

Minseok crumples the paper and looks away. After a few moments, Minseok feels another poke on his arm. Another piece of folded paper is placed on his desk. He unfolds it and written on it is: Then let’s go to the arcade?

 

Minseok tightly crumples the piece of paper out of frustration. He looks away again.

 

Again, after a few seconds, he feels another poke on his arm and sees another piece of folded paper. This time it read: Then where do you wanna go?

 

Minseok quickly grabs his pen and writes: Why are you doing this? He crumples it and tosses it on Luhan’s desk when the teacher is not looking.

 

After a few seconds, Luhan replied: I want to hang out with you. To which Minseok wrote: I have no intention of hanging out with you. He crumples the paper again and tosses it at Luhan.

 

He sighs and looks away. A few seconds later, the crumpled paper is tossed on his desk. Why not? The reply read.

 

Minseok sighs. Luhan is so persistent. It’s pissing off Minseok. Even though Minseok isn’t really listening in this class, he doesn’t want to talk to anyone either. Especially the ever persistent Luhan.

 

He looks at Luhan who seems to be listening to the teacher. Luhan notices him looking and looks at him with a friendly smirk. This only made Minseok more annoyed.

 

Minseok writes: What do you want? And tosses the crumpled paper on Luhan’s desk.

 

A few moments later. Luhan hands out a piece of unfolded paper. It had nothing written on it. Minseok looks at Luhan with a confused face. Luhan makes a “flip it over” gesture. Minseok flips it over and the message read: I already told you. I want to hang out with you ^_^

 

Minseok sighs, and writes: WHY?

 

He looks away again. Minseok is frustrated. Why does he need to tell me this in the middle of class? Couldn’t he wait until class is done? I’m even going along with this. What am I doing? Minseok sighs. Why does he even bother hanging out with me? Minseok thought all of these. Somehow, he’s curious with the answer to his question. He doesn’t know why, but he feel anxious. He wants to know the answer.

 

He taps his fingers as he waits for Luhan’s response. He looks at the female teacher who continues to teach in class. For a brief moment, Minseok’s and the teacher’s eyes meet. It doesn’t matter. The fact that she saw Minseok looking at her makes it seem like Minseok is listening, Minseok thought. Right now, what matters for Minseok is Luhan’s response… which is unusually taking a lot of time.

 

Without turning his head, his eyes shoot a quick look at Luhan. But then Minseok quickly took another look. He is surprised by what he saw.

 

Now turning his head towards Luhan, Minseok has confirmed what he saw. Luhan was thinking.

 

Luhan’s face is serious as he looks at the piece of paper. His right hand is playing with his pen. His other hand is clenched. All of these indicates that he is seriously thinking of something. He’s seriously thinking of what to write. Thinking of the answer Minseok wants to know.

 

With this sight before him, Minseok feels a bit confused. Why does he have to think so seriously about it? Does he not know the answer? Or is he hesitant to say it? Does he have a hidden agenda? Or maybe he’s thinking of an excuse for an answer? All of these questions rushed to Minseok’s confused mind. As he thought of other possible answer to this baffling situation, Luhan finally wrote something on the paper.

 

Minseok sees this and observes Luhan. He seems to have a smile on his face while writing. He stops writing and looks up. He’s done. He thought for so long and wrote in such a short time? Minseok is now very curious.

 

Luhan folds the paper. He looks towards Minseok’s direction, and is surprised to see that he is already waiting for him. Luhan smiles, as always, and stretches his hand towards Minseok to give him the piece of paper.

 

Minseok reaches for the paper and takes hold of it. But none of them has let go of it yet.

 

Luhan is still smiling as he still holds on to the paper.

 

Minseok is a bit confused with Luhan’s actions which makes him worry about what Luhan wrote. He continues to hold on to the paper.

 

Finally, Luhan let go of the paper.


 

AHEM!


 

Startled, Minseok and Luhan quickly turns to the sound and is surprised to see their teacher in between them.

 

“May you tell the class what you two are doing?”

 

“Sorry teacher. This won’t happen again.” Luhan quickly responded.

 

The teacher sighs. “I don’t need your apology. You shouldn’t be doing other things during class. You should listen to the lesson.”

 

“Yes, teacher.” Both of them responded.

 

“As punishment, please go out of this room, and wait outside until this class finishes.”

 

Minseok and Luhan quickly did what they were told.


 

So now, both of them are standing a feet apart outside their classroom, in the empty hallway.

 

“I’m sorry. I didn’t think this would happen.” Luhan told Minseok. “Anyway, class is about to finish in a few minutes. This isn’t so bad, right?” Luhan smiles.

 

Minseok only looked away.

 

Luhan’s face turns a bit sad and worried. “Have you read my reply?”

 

Minseok remembers the piece of paper that he automatically kept in his pockets after being discovered by the teacher. He takes it out and unfolds it. It read: I’m not sure why. I just really want to hang out with you! ^^

 

Minseok feels pissed. He got sent out of class just for this reply? Minseok thought. It doesn’t satisfy Minseok’s curiosity. He crumples the piece of paper and throws it at a nearby trash can. He walks a few feet away from Luhan.

 

“Are you making fun of me? Are you trying to bully me?” Minseok tells Luhan.

 

“What? No, I--”

 

“Please, stop! I told you. I have no intention of hanging out with you.”

 

Suddenly, the school bell rings. Students rush outside the classrooms, and in no time, the hallway is filled with students.

 

Minseok quickly heads back inside the classroom, leaving Luhan outside.

 

Luhan just stands there outside the classroom as he looks at Minseok going back to his seat. He feels lonely.


 

“It’s true though. I don’t know why either… but I want to become close to you.” Luhan whispers.