Chapter 1

A Love Yet To Be Realized

It’s another Monday as the bell rings at the private academy of Raira High School. Students promptly sit on their designated chairs and wait for the homeroom teacher to come in. In one of the second year classes, a boy is sitting at the back row next to the empty chair by the window. With his head on his hand, he looks in a bored and disinterested way towards the empty chair and the window. The disinterest in his eyes are mixed with a feebly noticeable look of loneliness. Will this be another ordinary, uneventful day? A part of him wishes for something to happen.

 

Suddenly the homeroom teacher enters and the class gives their greetings.

 

“Good morning class. To start homeroom, let me introduce a new transfer student. I know it’s a bit unusual having a new student at the middle of the semester, but I hope you help your new classmate to adjust.” The teacher looks towards the door and nods as she says, “Alright! You may come in now.”

 

The sliding door opens and a guy of average height and built, but with noticeably chubby cheeks and sharp cat-like eyes, walks inside the room. The boy sitting at the back row has taken notice of his features. He lifts his head from his hand and straightens his posture. He seems to be waiting for him to speak.

 

“Please introduce yourself.” The teacher tells the new student.

 

“... My name is Kim Minseok. I am former student of Ha Ran High School in Busan. Nice to meet you all.”

 

His voice was loud and clear, yet it felt soft and gentle. But it was also noticeably cold and distant. Whatever his voice sounded like, the name Kim Minseok kept repeating inside the head of the boy sitting at the back row.

 

“You will be sitting beside Lu Han at the back row beside the window. I’m sorry that’s the only seat left in this class.”

 

Minseok walks towards his assigned chair. He can feel the stares of his classmates, but one pair of eyes is noticeably felt and seen among his classmates as it thoroughly looks at Minseok. The boy sitting beside him looks on with such intrigue that it’s awkward, uncomfortable and somehow irritating for Minseok. He has no choice but to bear with it, given that the only seat open is beside him.

 

As soon as he sits down, the homeroom teacher bids goodbye and leaves. And as soon as the teacher leaves, the quiet and formal atmosphere in the class loosens and breaks into a noise. At that moment, the boy beside Minseok turns to him and extends his hand.

 

“Hello! My name is Luhan! I guess we’ll be seatmates from now on?” Luhan flashes a big smile at Minseok which Minseok coldly responds with a nod.

 

Luhan puts down his hand that was kept hanging. “So you’re the quiet type huh?”

 

Minseok doesn’t respond and looks away. He doesn’t seem to be interested in Luhan. Or at anyone.

 

“Well… If you have questions or if you need anything, I’m just right beside you.” Luhan smiles at Minseok. Minseok doesn’t respond. “By the way, Math is first period. We had a test last time, so today’s going to be a new lesson. Next is English. Hmm. I don’t remember what we did, I think we did some exercises. Then next is Sci--”

 

“I know.” Minseok looks at Luhan with a bit of irritation. “The homeroom teacher told me the schedule.”

 

“Aah… Then let me fill you in with our previous--”

 

“No need. I’ll just ask the teacher.”

 

“Aah… Hm. Okay.”

 

Luhan then turns away.

 

“Luhan~” The girl sitting beside him whispers. “He seems to be the type that wants to be left alone. He’s gonna be a pain though, if he continues to act like that to everyone.”

 

Luhan couldn’t respond and only stares at Minseok looking at the window. He realizes that the once empty seat has now been filled, and the once clear view from the window is now blocked by someone. He wonders what will this change bring to him. Be it good or bad, it seems interesting. It seems exciting.

 

Luhan wants to be close to Minseok.