Chapter Seven: Familiar Faces

Save Me

Chapter Seven: Familiar Faces

Jungkook had decided that perhaps taking Taehyung to work wasn’t his best option and if he was going to get any actual work done it was best to do it at home. Jungkook also wanted to leave so that he could go ahead and ask Jimin for help. If what he saw was true then that meant this case was much bigger than he had anticipated and based off of Taehyung’s reactions Jungkook knew that to be true. 

“Come on…it’s lunch time kid.” Jungkook said standing up from his position on the floor, watching as Taehyung got up slowly. 

Thinking about Jimin’s words Jungkook figured the man was right, if he was going to get anything from the boy he needed to be kinder, or as kind as he could muster when forced to babysit a teenaged e.

“So what would you like to eat? Pick anything you want,” Within reason…Jungkook thought to himself. 

“I can get whatever I want…well if that’s the case I really want a home cooked meal, like in the movies.” Taehyung said, a soft blush tinting his tan cheeks pink.

Of all the things the boy could ask for it had to be that? Jungkook never did the cooking, he mostly at fast food or ate whatever Jimin decided to make for dinner when he spent more time over at Jungkook’s place. Maybe if he just threw something in the oven that would be okay? The boy wouldn’t be able to tell a difference right? 

“I…I didn’t go grocery shopping yet so we’ll have to stop at the market on the way home.” Jungkook said, even trying to go so far as to smile at the boy. 

“Okay with me!” Taehyung said, his smile returning to his face as he made his way to the door. 

Shaking his head as he followed his way out the door Jungkook wondered what he had just agreed to.

~Save Me~

The market Jungkook took Taehyung too was nothing special, just a  small little shop that everyone in the area went to in order to gather their groceries but Taehyung seemed to be in awe at everything he saw. 

“Look at all the fresh fruit…whoa those strawberries are so red!” Taehyung said rushing forward to look at the supple berries. Jungkook wasn’t a fan of the sweet fruit but if Taehyung wanted them he didn’t mind to get them, if getting strawberries was all it took to get on the boy’s nice side it was worth it. 

“Did you want to get some?” Jungkook asked, reaching for the crate that carried the fruit but Taehyung shook his head no. 

“I think I might be allergic to them, it could have been on the drugs I was on when I took them that made me sick but I’m not sure. It’s best if I just leave em’ here.” Taehyung said walking around the berries to look at some bananas, which he did happen to pick up and place inside the cart Jungkook was holding. 

Jungkook was taken aback at Taehyung’s quick changing mind, it was like Taehyung’s brain worked liked fast changing gears. The boy was almost dog like when Jungkook thought about it, interested in one shiny thing and then interested on the next thing that zoomed by his face. 

“Look vegetables!” Taehyung said next, rushing around the place throwing this and that into the basket. 

“Taehyung…isn’t this a bit much? I don’t need all of this to make dinner for tonight.” Jungkook said eyeing the beet in his basket. Just what would he use that for? 

“O…oh I’m sorry, I can put it all back if you want. I just got a little carried away is all.” Taehyung said holding a carrot in one hand while he used the other to rub the back of his neck. 

“No it’s alright, I’m sure Jimin could use the stuff later. Why don’t you run over there and go grab some bread while I grab some meat from the butcher?” 

“Okay!” Taehyung said rushing to the direction of the loafs of bread at the far corner of the shop while Jungkook moved to the butcher area to grab some fresh steaks. That was simple enough to make. Steak and potato’s should be fine for the boy. Jungkook waited in line patiently but started to get worried when Taehyung didn’t come back right away. Leaning back Jungkook could see Taehyung talking to someone, and he looked uncomfortable as he clutched the bread tight in his hands. 

“Can you hold the meat for me, I’ll be right back.” Jungkook said quickly walking forward but slowing down around the corner of the aisle in order not to be spotted by the two. 

“Aw come on now Tae it’ll be real quick,” Jungkook heard the man say, leaning closer to hear even more. 

“I…I’m not doing that right now. I just wanna get my food and leave.” Taehyung said, the sound of him crushing the bread audible in Jungkook’s ear, the plastic making a crinkling sound. 

“I’ve got something nice I could feed ya, I’ll even give you more money this time, come on I miss that sweet mouth of yours. It wouldn’t take long, you always make me so quickly.” The grotesque man said, grabbing Taehyung’s arm. 

“It’ll be quick?” Taehyung asked gulping hard as he looked at the much older man, who was probably in his forties from what Jungkook could see.

“Yea baby real quick,” He said before leaning down to kiss Taehyung, who had his head turned to the opposite direction. Taehyung was shaking but he did no motion to push the man away. 

“Hey!” Jungkook said stepping forward, glaring hard at the man.

“What? I’m just here shopping with a friend.” The man said wrapping his arm around Taehyung’s waist, his hand on Taehyung’s . 

“Release the boy and put your hands where I can see them.” Jungkook said, setting his shopping cart on the floor.

“For what, is shopping illegal?” The man asked laughing but audibly gulped when Jungkook put his hand on his utility belt. 

“No, but hiring a child e is very illegal.” Jungkook said, smiling when the man quickly released Taehyung. 

“W…what? Child e? This…this is my friend’s son and I’m just baby sitting him. Tell the officer Tae,” The man said but Jungkook just took a step forward saying, “Well that’s funny seeing as that boy is currently living with me, now we can either do this the easy way or the hard way.” Jungkook said ready to run after the man if he tried to escape but he was surprised when Taehyung threw the bread to the floor and ran, making a bee-line for the exit. 

While Jungkook wanted to arrest this man Taehyung was his responsibility so he left and followed after the boy. 

“Taehyung!” Jungkook yelled when he caught the boy standing next to his car. “Why did you run off like that, I had to let that guy go because you ran.” Jungkook said annoyed but Taehyung just looked at Jungkook and spat out, “Good! You embarrassed me in front of all those people at the shop. I had it under control.”

“Under control? You were about to follow that man to his car and don’t try to lie to me and say that you weren’t going to because I know you were going to do it.”

The words, “So what,” was not what Jungkook was expecting to fly from  Taehyung’s mouth. 

“So what?! You were just going to leave to have ual relations with that man? Do you know how dangerous that is?” 

“ual relations, seriously? And it’s not all that dangerous, and it would have been quick. That guy lasts ten minutes if he’s lucky. He was going to give me more money this time too.”

“Taehyung having for money is against the law and ing a minor is against the law as well. You can’t do that any more you realize that right?” 

“B…but I need the money, look you wouldn’t understand because your life is so perfect!” Taehyung yelled, getting defensive again as he dug his left hand into his right wrist. Jungkook quickly yanked the boy’s hand away and pushed the boy against his truck.

“You live with me so you follow my rules, you aren’t a e anymore as long as you live with me.” 

“Oh yea, well what am I going to do when you get rid of me? I know you don’t want me and frankly I don’t want you either. All you care about is being a ing cop!” 

“You can not be serious, you’re mad at me for doing my job?” Jungkook asked with disbelief but Taehyung shook his head, “No I’m mad at you for now allowing me to do mine, now off!” Taehyung asked pushing at Jungkook’s chest which did little to move the solid man away from the teenager. 

“Get in the ing car and I don’t want to hear a word come from your mouth. If I come back and you aren’t seat in this car when I get back there will be hell to pay and if you think I won’t be able to find your sorry you are dead wrong.” Jungkook said, baking away from the door, heading back to the shop to go and buy the groceries. Jungkook was thankful when he head his truck’s door slam shut before he got to the entrance of the grocery store. 

How had doing his job turn him into the bad guy, he was just trying to look out for the kid. Looking around the shop a few customers looked at him before quickly averting their gazes. Being a street worker Jungkook would have thought Taehyung would be used to eyes on him. Getting mad over a few stares? Getting mad because Jungkook wouldn’t let the boy some creeps ? Yea…Jungkook was confused as he grabbed the groceries. Just what was Taehyung’s problem? He needed to figure it out and soon because this whole being nice thing just wasn’t working out.