Chapter Five: Missing Evidence

Save Me

Chapter Five: Missing evidence

After getting Taehyung seated in the car, with handcuffs because he did not trust the brat, he drove towards the station. Jungkook was the first one to see what was in those vans so he wanted to be the first to check out the evidence room, but first he had to ditch the kid. Was there a place that baby-sat teenagers? Taehyung couldn’t very well stay at the house alone but he couldn’t stay with Jungkook either while he worked. Taehyung in the eyes of the law was a criminal and he needed to be treated as such, it didn’t matter how old the boy was. 

“Are the cuffs really necessary?” Seokjin asked when he found Jungkook checking in at the front desk.

“Yes they are necessary and the boy is lucky I don’t put ankles cuffs on him as well. Now look Jin, I have a huge favor to ask. I really need to check the evidence room and start working on the case but I can’t do that with him around.” Jungkook said, not noticing the growing Saddening look on Taehyung’s face. 

Taehyung didn’t want to be with Jungkook per say, but that was the first time in a few months that he actually got to sleep in a bed without some sweaty older man pinning him to the bed. To be honest Taehyung didn’t even like the Jokers, but they were his only source of income so he had no choice…people like Jungkook would never understand Taehyung’s situation. 

“Jungkook, I have other client’s to deal with today, I can’t really watch Taehyung while I’m counselling because of the whole privacy thing so you’ll just have to handle desk work today. Jungkook I know you want to get on the case, but Namjoon is working on it as well so that will just have to do for now.”

“But Jin,” Jungkook tried to say but Seokjin had already waved the boy off before walking away, yelling a quick, “Take the cuffs off the boy Jungkook!” as he rounded the corner. 

“So where to next?” Taehyung asked, smiling at Jungkook. Glaring at the boy Jungkook noticed just how tall Taehyung was. The boy was probably an inch or two shorter than Jungkook and the boy was only sixteen and was sure to grow more. 

The boy’s body might been thin now but as he grew he would fill in nicely, with muscles to cover his mostly boney body. Jungkook could still see the image of Taehyung spread out on the bed , the soft rise and fall of the boy’s chest. How could someone look so sinful then and yet look almost stupidly happy now. The smile on the boy’s face was fake, Jungkook knew that much but the smile was very believable to any one on the street.  

That was why Jungkook didn’t trust Taehyung, those that acted innocent or smiled the way Taehyung did always had something to hide. 

“We’re going to my office, all the rules at home apply here as well. Say nothing to anyone, touch nothing, don’t even look at anything or it will mean trouble for you.” Jungkook said, before heading to his own office. Most officers didn’t have their own office place but Namjoon had given it to Jungkook as a gift after he had taken down someone very important in the Joker’s gang. Namjoon knew Jungkook worked best alone so he figured it was a nice gift for the boy and while other officers were envious of the boy they surly didn’t say anything about it in front of Jungkook. The man was terrifying. 

Stepping inside his office Jungkook sat Taehyung down in the seat next to his desk and turned his computer on. Maybe he could find the files of things already checked in and see if anything unusual was brought into the station. 

Jungkook checked file after file but the only things discovered were drugs, slaves and weaponry. The reports said nothing about scientific equipment being brought in. Had Jungkook imagined what he had seen? No, Jungkook had some of the sharpest eyes in the unit something had to be wrong. The evidence team either didn’t finish filing or something was missing because Jungkook knew what he had seen.

Going to check his email Jungkook saw that there was something from an unknown email address. It read, “Eyes of the streets.” Clicking the tab open Jungkook saw a video file. Sometimes the station had gotten spam mail but this was different. Mail never went directly to specific officers. The email had read, 

Sneaky people are even sneakier when they are under your nose

Playing the video file Jungkook could see when the vans had first pulled up into the drive area when everyone had gotten separated. This was probably moments before Jungkook had found the new unloading area. The camera zoomed in so that Jungkook could see a few figures standing up ahead, the people just barely visible. Jungkook couldn’t really see any faces as the camera zoomed in and out, trying to focus but what Jungkook did see was that people had waved the vans into this location to unload. The people quickly  scattered when the van doors opened and the last thing the camera zoomed in on was a police badge. 

Jungkook knew that there were dirty cops but he never had expected to see actual proof of it. A lot of fellow officers died that day to the hands of the Jokers and to be working with them was un forgivable. 

Checking back at the evidence list Jungkook noticed at the last of the inventory was added to the list, nothing about scientific equipment being on the list. Something fishy was going on here and he needed to figure out what it is. Going back to the video Jungkook tried to see if there was anything else he could pick up but it was still so unclear, the camera shook to much. Perhaps he could pass the video off to Jimin, the man did know a lot about finding hidden evidence for his stories. Reaching into his desk Jungkook pulled out a thumb drive and saved the video to it. He’d swing by Jimin’s place later and give it to him. 

“Taehyung!” Jungkook said quickly, scaring the boy who was balancing his chair on it’s two back legs. 

“What I’m not doing anything?” He said, sitting in the chair properly. 

Seokjin was right, Jungkook needed to use all the resources he could to solve this case even with Taehyung around and the boy just might be his first lead to the truth.

“I think it’s about time I started to ask you some questions about the other night.” Jungkook said, watching Taehyung visibly swallow, the boy’s fake smile falling from his face.