Come Back

Brothers Were Brave

[A/N: Oh, what is this? An actual author's note before the chapter? What?! Anyway, I'm just stopping by to tell you guys that the events happening in this chapter concerning SPEED were inspired by a backstage interview. You can find the full interview here. I'm not sure how to cite this. I paraphrased alot for this to work, but the subtitles are credited to kongbini. Go check out the video! Also, what doesn't happen on the video is, of course, all made up. Thanks for sticking with BWB this far!]

Time swept Eun Mi up in its wild current, an urgent river furiously trying to reach the sea. L6 had their comeback showcase on the 14th and Eun Mi, as the master of ceremonies, had to place Taewoon at the back of her mind.

Filming for Follow the Leader took up most of her daily life, along with her other schedules, lessons, practices, and preparations for a comeback. Not to mention that she had blocked the weekend following L6’s comeback to attend a very important event: SHINee World IV in Seoul.

Seeing SHINee back on a stage after a year and seven months filled her heart with relief, hope, happiness, and immense pride. She’d managed to obtain tickets legitimately, before the scalpers—or those that bought tickets to sell them at higher prices—had managed to take all of them. Manager Jo had suggested that one of the younger managers accompany her just in case, but Eun Mi had flat out rejected that notion. SHINee World, her sanctuary after St. Cecilia’s, belonged only to her and her fellow Shawols.

She met up with her old SHINee World friends, the same ones she used to cheer at music shows with, and enjoyed the concert to the fullest. Outside, she had no reserves over buying official merchandise. She had been saving up a year and seven months to do so!

She cried when Jonghyun cried, three days in a row. Her soul shattered upon seeing Onew, their beloved dubu leader Onew, choking on his tears. It had been beautiful, heartwarming, and Eun Mi had left the arena walking on clouds. Listening to their live broadcast on Blue Night after the concert made it all the more surreal.

She did all she could to support them. Streaming their album, voting on music shows, and, when it was finally released, viewing their MV over and over. Minha had long ago learned to leave her niece alone during the first few weeks of SHINee’s return. In fact, everyone at B.Star ENT. had left her well enough alone.

Unable to attend their 7th Anniversary celebration, Eun Mi and her Shawol friends had bought a cake. They’d felt it was destiny supporting SHINee when she discovered that the candles they sold matched their official color.

Taewoon had managed to call her during one such time when her voice had not yet returned to normal from so much screaming.

“Eun Mi-ah, are you sick? What’s the matter?”

“No, no, nothing’s wrong! I’m just having the best week of my life right now!”

Taewoon had managed to hear her friends singing View at the top of their lungs, practicing their fan chant for the oncoming comeback stage. For a moment, he’d been unable to place the tune, mistaking it for L6’s latest release. It wasn’t until the following day that he’d realized who the song really belonged to.

He had known Eun Mi to be a fangirl, he just had not been aware of what group. Now that she’d given herself away, Taewoon could find no other group that could so evenly match Eun Mi’s personality: bright and mischievous. It fit.

Her excitement over SHINee renewed his strength, doubled his efforts. In fact, her love for them was so refreshing that Taewoon felt he could do anything. He couldn’t deny that he wanted to try his best so that Eun Mi could be as proud of him as she was of SHINee.

Well, maybe he was hoping for the impossible. No one could match up to SHINee in Eun Mi’s mind. Not even her kind, amazing boyfriend.


Stepping back inside Mnet’s building, engulfed in the atmosphere that was the music industry and M!Countdown, CELESTIAL grew excited. Chae and ReNA skipped ahead, holding hands and dramatically singing a medley of L6’s new songs. DAEE walked behind them, worried that the bags full of food they were carrying would end up on the ground. Ienna walked beside Eun Mi, looking around eagerly. Manager Jo and Na Na unnie, another of their managers, walked behind them.

“Unnie! Unnie!” she linked her arm through hers. “Unnie, we’re almost back, aren’t we? We’ll be able to stand on stage soon, right?”

Eun Mi smiled up at the charming maknae, nodding steadily. The plans for CELESTIAL placed them at a midsummer comeback, a few weeks after L6’s last promotion and their repackage release. Already there were rumors of a Red Velvet and B.A.P comeback around the same time. It made Eun Mi a little anxious, knowing that they would be up against such formidable groups.

Whatever anxiety had begun to grow at the pit of her stomach, however, was soon dispelled by the cheerful shouts that greeted the girls—or rather, the large bags of food they carried with them.

ReNA held up her arm. “We bumped into AMORES and they sent up their love!”

Dae Jung leapt from his spot on one of the old, worn sofas, throwing his arms up in reply, taking the bags from her. He turned away without so much as a word of greeting.

“You beast.”

The only response she received was that of Dae Jung throwing a sandwich over his shoulder. She caught it, but not without a startled yelp. He ripped the packaging of one, stuck the sub in his mouth, and walked around handing out meals while chewing.

“One would think that you’re all starved,” DAEE said, handing Ryouta his portion of the meal. He smiled up at her, his dark eyes gleaming with merriment. Noticing how his eyeliner had smudged, DAEE used her pinky finger to clean it up. Ryouta sat immobile, his hands clasped around the sandwich and his unwavering eyes on DAEE.

Tae Jun watched from across the room, his arms folded over his chest, chin tucked in. Eun Mi stood beside him, holding his food in both her hands. She stared at him for a moment then followed his gaze.

“Ah,” she said.

“Ah,” he replied.

He took the food AMORES had so carefully, thoughtfully prepared and arranged it prettily on a table. Eun Mi took this opportunity to power up the camera that Heo PD had entrusted her with. She quietly filmed Tae Jun posting his gratitude on social media.

“Oppa, what are you doing?”

Tae Jun looked up, startled by the question, even more shocked by the presence of a camera that had not been thirty seconds before. He scanned it momentarily, his eyes settling dead center on the lens.

“What is this? Follow the Leader?”

“Oh! Intense eye contact! You look handsome with your makeup all done.”

“What are you talking about? I always look handsome.”

Appearing out of nowhere, Su Jong jumped onto Tae Jun’s back, munching on what Eun Mi assumed to be the rest of the bitten apple he held in his hand. His hair, an array of cobalt, sapphire, navy, and royal blue defied gravity in a shocking way.

“Hyung, what are you doing?”

Tae Jun gave him a sidelong glance, the internal debate apparent in his raging eyes. Eun Mi zoomed in on Su Jong, saving his life.

“Who are you? What are you? Do your parents know that you dye your hair in crazy colors and torture your scalp?”

Su Jong looked at her, stunned by her sudden attack. He slid off Tae Jun’s back, hiding behind his leader. Eun Mi chased him down.

“What kind of example to society are you? Huh? Huh?”

“A really good one!” Su Jong dodged the camera, sidestepping Eun Mi. She whirled around only to have him pluck the camera right out of her hands. He inspected it carefully, then glanced around the room, taking in the lighting and the people within.

Tae Jun lowered himself onto an empty seat, carefully unwrapping the sandwich. Once Su Jong and Eun Mi went at it nothing could or would stop them.

“What’s your mission?” Su Jong asked, aiming the camera at her.

Eun Mi looked past the device at him, her eyes sparkling. “I have to meet with Tae Jun oppa, Sunggyu and Gyuri sunbaenim.”

“You’re not meeting with Taeha?”

“Taeha? Oh Taeha?” Realization slowly dawned on her. “SPEED’s Taeha? Oh my gosh, SPEED had their comeback! Are they here today?”

“They’re doing a camera rehearsal now. I saw them on our way up here,” Ienna said from across the room. “They’re all dressed in uniforms.”

Eun Mi jumped up and down, her hands pressed against her lips. Su Jong, expertly handling the camera, managed to get both leaders in a single shot; Tae Jun could be seen rolling his eyes at her.

“Isn’t this meant to be a visit for L6?”

“That can happen later. We already know you guys.”

“Ouch!” Dae Jung grimaced, placing his hand against his heart. “That hurts, noona!”

“Deal with it!”

Manager Jo sighed, offering Eun Mi the backpack she searched for so frantically. He’d known she would act this way and had come prepared. She greedily reached for it, diving into it and procuring SPEED’s latest album, What U.

“Su Jongie, follow me!”

“Yes, noona!”

Eun Mi paused long enough to smack his stomach, swinging her backpack over her shoulder. Su Jong laughed, following her, the camera always steady.

“I can leave the filming to you, right?”

“Of course. What do you take me for?”

She shot him a smile over her shoulder, the light bounce in her step rippling her hair. Su Jong loved the way the shot was captured. The academy’s lectures seemed to be paying off, but he had a feeling it was due more to his natural skill and Eun Mi’s impeccable sense and timing.


Taeha had been expecting the ambush but he still did not see it coming. After their first rehearsal, he found himself surrounded by a handful a cameras, all angling to capture the moment of their return on stage for their loyal fans. He felt a little overwhelmed, a little unsure, and a whole lot nervous.

SPEED’s hiatus had been long, over a year. It would be a lie to say that the long breaks weren’t a little more than disheartening, a statement to how little the company thought of their potential to become popular. Still, Taeha felt grateful that they had managed to make another appearance as SPEED before the company gave up on them, and, even more important, before the members gave up on the company.

Taewoon’s departure had created ripples that spread across the murky waters that was SPEED’s existence. They had managed one more comeback and that somehow came across more as a relief than an accomplishment. Every member felt it. Even Ki-O, the latest addition to their shaky identity, felt SPEED’s unstable life force. The members all regarded their situation with weary hearts.

“Taeha! Tae-yah!”

Eun Mi’s flowery voice startled the preoccupied idol out of his heavy thoughts. Before he could brace himself, Eun Mi lurched herself at him, hugging him tightly. Worried that such an American greeting had been caught on film, Taeha looked around nervously.

“Congratulations on your comeback!”

“Congrats!”

Taeha looked over Eun Mi’s head at Su Jong, nearly choking at the crazy array of blue atop his head. Seeing him dressed in simple black slacks and a white shirt told Taeha that L6 would be pre-recording one of their slower, heart-wrenching songs before their main performance. SPEED had never gotten to the point where they were given two performances within the same music program. The sting he felt was more desperation than envy.

“Oh, Su Jong-ah, Eun Mi-ah,” he paused, awkwardly, “thank you.”

Eun Mi hopped before him, her excitement overflowing. “Ooh, look at you! You always did look great with blond hair.”

A coordi-noona interrupted them, pressing napkins against his drenched forehead. Eun Mi took the paper fan from her hand and began fanning him. Su Jong raised a previously hidden camera, smiling at Taeha.

“W-what’s going on?”

“Hmm? Oh, that! It’s for that reality program I’m in, Follow the Leader. Su Jong is today’s PD.”

“Eun Mi you look like a coordi-noona.”

She grinned, opened to say something, but ended up bowing instead when she saw Yuhwan approaching. He looked at her curiously before raising his eyebrows at Taeha; he only shrugged in response.

“Hyung, hello,” Su Jong said in a sing-song voice.

Yuhwan spread his arms wide, puckering his lips. Su Jong lowered the camera, allowing Yuhwan to embrace him and place a kiss on his cheek. This drew the attention of the other members.

“Oh! Song Eun Mi noona!” Jongkook shouted across the room. “Noona!”

Jungwoo brushed his pinkish blond hair away from his eyes, peering at her with curious eyes. His face looked longer, different. It took her a moment to realize that he had lost weight; his missing cheeks made his face somewhat unfamiliar to her. Eun Mi felt sure that he knew something from the way in which he looked at her, his head listed slightly, a knowing smile on his lips.

“Yuhwan sunbae,” Eun Mi avoided Jungwoo by tugging on Yuhwan’s shirt. “Can you gather the members?”

“Oppa? Did she just call me oppa?” Yuhwan asked no one in particular.

“No, she called you sunbae,” Taeha corrected softly.

“Eun Mi-ah, when will you call me oppa? Hmm? Haven’t we known each other for years?”

Eun Mi smiled, a little uncomfortable. She had been in Korea for years, but calling older men oppa had never come naturally to her the same way calling older girls unnie did. Tae Jun was the only one, and that was only because he ignored her until she addressed him thus.

To redirect his attention, Eun Mi raised their album, placing it beside her cheek. “Ta-dah! Sunbae, can I have your autograph?”

Elated, Yuhwan soon dedicated a long message to her, expertly marking one of his photographs with his expressive signature. Eventually, Eun Mi managed to get all of SPEED’s autographs, even Ki-O, whom she was not at all familiar or comfortable with, graciously signed his part of the album.

To commemorate their comeback, both Su Jong and Eun Mi took a photograph that they would post on their social media. Neither of them had issues with promoting SPEED instead of their own groups, much to the annoyance of their managers.

In between their rehearsals, Eun Mi heard them talking about Taewoon. His absence had been noticed, definitely, especially in how the crew continued asking the members how their lives had changed since he’d left.

Eun Mi strained her ears to hear what Sungmin and Yuhwan had to say. At first, Yuhwan joked saying that he was at home eating watermelon, but then the statements became more serious, indicating how they both hoped that Taewoon’s participation in Show Me The Money would benefit him and, as consequence, SPEED.

“He needs to become more popular,” Sungmin said, “so that he can pull us along with him.”

So much weighed on Taewoon. Even as a former leader, the members still relied on him. Sungmin joked that he could also end up forgetting about them in his newfound fame, but Eun Mi highly doubted that could take the sting off his previous words. She was glad Taewoon had not been around to hear them. She also prayed that Sungmin’s part of the interview would not air as a backstage segment.

The solemnity of the statement, however, was destroyed when Sungmin revealed that Taewoon spent all his time at their dorm. Jungwoo quickly added that it was annoying to have him around so much.

“The dorm is tidier now! I’ve lead a healthier life since he left! So, I thought to myself, am I getting healthier because he left?”

Just then, SPEED was called back onstage for another rehearsal. Sungmin bowed to the PD, smiling at Eun Mi as he bolted up on stage.

“Careful!” she cried after him, worried that their shoes might betray them. “SPEED, fighting!”

Su Jong filmed Yuhwan climbing onstage before returning the camera’s focus to Eun Mi. She smiled, reaching for it.

“We need to save some of the battery for Sunggyu and Gyuri sunbaenim as well.”

He smiled, throwing his arm around her the way he always did. They monitored SPEED together, both grimacing when Jongkook nearly lost his balance, holding their breath while Yuhwan threw and twisted his body in dangerous acrobatics.

They had to record a few more times. Su Jong, called away to L6’s backstage interview, said his goodbyes. Patting Taeha on the back, he promised to call him later, suggesting something that included spicy rice cakes and beer, maybe soju.

“How much longer will you stick around?” Jungwoo’s voice coming from behind her made Eun Mi jump. She pressed a hand to her rattled heart, looking over her shoulder at him with wounded accusation.

Sunbae! Do you want to give me a heart attack?”

Jungwoo smiled. “I’m sure Taewoon would kill me if I did.”

“W-what?”

“SPEED, get ready to perform!”

The sound of DEEPS entering the auditorium, their excited chatter reaching the members. The grins that spread across their faces warmed Eun Mi’s heart. She wished nothing but the best for them.

Eun Mi wasn’t the kind of girl that prayed for fame. She knew that fame came and went; its fleeting nature leaving nothing but a tragic wreckage behind it in the worst of cases and bittersweet experiences at best. And yet, she couldn’t help herself. Silently, watching them rush onto the brightly lit stage to greet their beloved DEEPS, Eun Mi said a prayer.

It was a tiny prayer, the kind that existed only briefly. Her mother had always said those prayers didn’t leave an impression on the mind but where deeply carried by the soul. So, Eun Mi’s soul prayed for the wellbeing of SPEED as a group and for all its members, current and former.


Dark hair swept back, plain black tee, white hoodie. That is how Taewoon made his entrance into the broadcasting building. The DEEPS that had been unable to make it into the auditorium shouted their joy. He stopped briefly to greet them.

“Have you guys been well?”

“Yes!” They said collectively.

“Did you already have lunch?”

“Yes!”

“Oppa, how about you? Have you eaten yet?”

Taewoon smiled his lopsided smile. “Yes. You guys will continue to love SPEED even though I’m no longer there?”

“We love it more now that you’re gone,” said a particularly cheeky fan.

He clutched at his chest, gasping as if he’d been mortally wounded. The fan laughed, offering him the cold drink she held.

“Oppa, work hard on Show Me The Money. Don’t let us down!”

She looked up at him, eyes nearly hidden by her overgrown bangs, obscured by thick glasses. It was then that Taewoon recognized her. She’d been the same fan he’d sent home on a taxi weeks before.

He accepted her hastily prepared gift, then handed them all a large bill. “Go get yourselves some coffee.”

“Are you bribing us to follow you instead of SPEED?”

“What’s your name?”

“Eun Kyung. Nam Eun Kyung.”

“Eun Kyung-ah, if you follow me, you follow SPEED.” Taewoon winked.

DEEPS released a collective squeal, muttering amongst themselves. A deep, red tint spread across Nam Eun Kyung’s cheeks.

“Our DEEPS, stay safe and healthy, okay?”

“Yes, oppa!”

Taewoon waved over his head as he walked away, forever charmed by how darling SPEED’s fans were. He found himself laughing at Eun Kyung’s remarks, somehow charmed by her bright and courageous personality.

Eun Mi’s mischievous smile flashed across his mind. A subtle pain crawled across his chest. Taewoon missed her. Very much.

He had tried calling her before leaving his place, but she had not answered. Figuring that she was busy with a schedule of her own, he’d sent her a message instead. A message she had not yet replied to or even seen.

Taewoon knew he would have to see her soon. Gradually, it had become harder and harder to focus. Her smile, her jokes, her never-ending song kept interrupting his thoughts, tripping him up during practices.

His love battery was running dangerously low.

He stopped. Dead in his tracks.

His love battery? Really, just how much more was Eun Mi going to—to what? Plague his thoughts? Fill his life with trot songs? Make him miss her even more?

Shaking his head, longing for Eun Mi’s presence beside him, Taewoon made his way into SPEED’s assigned area.

Backstage nearly blindsided him. He’d been so immersed thinking about Eun Mi that he had briefly forgotten how hectic the life of a promoting idol group could be.

“Oh! Hyung!” Jongkook spotted him first. With napkins pressed to his forehead and stylists flocking and fanning him, he waved. The PD that had been interviewing him turned. Before he knew it, Taewoon was ambushed.

Taeha saw their former leader over Eun Mi’s head. “Oh, it’s Taewoon hyung.”

Whirling around, Eun Mi’s eyes frantically searched for Taewoon. Her heart pounded furiously. She stood on her toes, craning her neck every which way.

Jungwoo gave Taeha a push forward. “Go stand by Taewoon. I think they’ll interview him.”

Though a little confused by the unexpected command, Taeha obeyed his hyung’s words. Leaving Eun Mi behind with him.

“If you keep smiling, everyone will find out,” Jungwoo cautioned. He stood in Eun Mi’s line of sight, his frame obscuring her view of Taewoon. Her eyes flared. “Pretend you’re talking to me. This way you can at least keep it under wraps for a while longer.”

Blushing, Eun Mi finally acknowledged that Jungwoo knew. Perhaps, he knew more than what he let on. Either way, she had to thank him for protecting them.

“Thank you.”

Jungwoo smiled, watching her watch Taewoon.

Taeha stood beside him. The interview had started without warning, an array of statements merging with questions. It took him a few seconds, but Taewoon eventually found his footing, his mind constructing broadcast appropriate replies, his body carrying out idol-image movements. Sungmin joined them.

“According to Sungmin, the dorm became cleaner since you left.”

“There is no way. No way. It’s still the same.”

“No!” Sungmin protested. “It’s definitely cleaner! Much cleaner!”

“The members also said that after you left, they’ve become healthier.”

Taewoon released a cackling laugh, not too shocked at their mercilessness. Taeha doubled over, hearing this for the first time, he could not believe the others had been so hilariously mean.

“There’s absolutely no way!”

“Did you say that?” Taeha knew Sungmin had been the culprit, there was just no other way anyone else would’ve been.

Their maknae laughed, placing a hand on Taeha’s shoulder while watching Taewoon protest against his claims. As soon as he finished with one outrageous statement, another was brought to his attention.

“Sungmin says that you always wake him up whenever he’s trying to sleep.”

Just how many things did Sungmin have to say? Taewoon glanced at him. Beyond Sungmin, half hidden by Jungwoo, was Eun Mi. Shocked, Taewoon’s careful idol attitude stumbled. He had not expected to see her, could not have even imagined that she would have been with SPEED.

Her lips were pressed together in a strange grimace. Taewoon knew just how much she wanted to laugh from the pained, glittering look in her eyes. Out of all times to bring out the skeletons from the closet, did Sungmin have to choose today of all days?

“Really, you should all be nicer to me,” he managed to say once he recovered.

“Oh, right!” Taeha jumped in. “When Taewoon hyung was there, our dorm was cleaner and healthier.”

“Exactly.”

“He was always cleaning. Energetically! Our dorm was a happier place then.”

Taewoon’s head snapped around to look at him. “Now what are you saying?”

Taeha sputtered a laugh. “Or maybe not?”

That was all it took for Eun Mi to burst out laughing. Taewoon turned away, looking desperately for a hole to crawl under.

Eventually, the PD asked him to give his final words of encouragement.

“Are you part of the broadcast? If you’re not part of the staff then you’re not authorized to be here.”

Taewoon, already riled from before, laughed Yuhwan’s words away while halting a threat that was nearly caught on camera. Yuhwan saw the tattletale signs of danger in Taewoon’s playful smile and backed off.

“Are the former and current leaders in bad terms with each other?”

“No,” Taewoon started.

“We don’t even like to interact with one another.”

“That’s right. We don’t even speak.”

“I don’t want to even look at him.”

In saying this, Yuhwan’s hand brushed Taewoon’s. Sizing the opportunity, Taewoon ended the argument with one swift demand.

“Please, don’t touch my skin. Don’t touch me.”

Sungmin laughed, Taeha smiled, and Yuhwan was left to stare incredulously at the camera. Jungwoo chuckled, placing a hand on the small of Eun Mi’s back, he walked her over to where Jongkook.

“Stay here until they call us onstage.”

Eun Mi had never before felt the urge to call anyone “Oppa” until now. The gentle manner in which he guided, watched out for, and talked to her made her feel safe, as if she could depend on him. Truly grateful, Eun Mi gifted him one of her broadest, prettiest smiles.

Jungwoo, taken aback by her smile, blinked several times before returning the gesture. He gave her head a small pat. He felt as if he were rewarding a small animal. He couldn’t quite decide if she reminded him more of a fox or a baby owl. Either way, he found her cute enough to consider her a dongsaeng.

Called onstage sooner than expected, Jungwoo had no opportunity to speak to Taewoon. He caught only a glimpse of him approaching Eun Mi. Their eyes met briefly. Jungwoo waved flirtingly at him, laughing at his disgusted expression.

“Did he say something to you?” Taewoon asked.

“Well, hello, to you, too!”

Smiling, Taewoon opted to push their conversation to a later time and place. What U blared loudly around them, SPEED’s singing mingled with DEEPS’ cheers, creating an excited cacophony.

Eun Mi cheered as well. She stood close enough to him that the back of their hands brushed. She stood on her toes, trying to see better; Taewoon leaned in, slightly, supporting her discreetly.

Wasn’t that the nature of their relationship, secret support, unsaid words, hidden truths in a world where the spotlight always remained on them? A prickling pain, a dangerous thought, began to take shape inside Taewoon’s mind; a thought that contained Eun Mi, Ji Ho, and himself. If he allowed it to form, to grow, his chance encounter with her would be ruined, dampened by a heavy truth.

Was it a truth? A rumor? Maybe a morphed reality? Whatever it was, Taewoon pushed it away, out of his consciousness, deep into the recesses of his mind.


“What are you doing here?”

“Me? What are you doing here?”

“I came to show them my support.”

“So did I.”

“I’m their former leader.”

“And your point is?”

Taewoon’s lopsided grin appeared right on cue. The elevator dinged, its door sliding open without ceremony. He placed a hand on it to prevent it from closing too soon, allowing Eun Mi to get on first. He followed right behind.

“Where are you headed?”

“I need to find Sunggyu sunbaenim and Gyuri unnie.”

“Did you just come here to socialize?”

She punched his arm. He winced theatrically, stumbling away from her. She rolled her eyes, trying to keep herself from smiling.

There had been no need to exchange pleasantries; they were long past the stage of formal greetings. It amazed Eun Mi just how quickly they had fallen into step with one another, the rhythm of their relationship unaffected by the long time gaps between their meetings.

“I’m here working. What’s your excuse? Shouldn’t you be practicing?”

“I wanted to see how the kids were doing.”

“They’re doing really well. Though it makes me nervous that they’re going around a stage in Heelys.”

“SPEED has always done flashy choreographies. The guys have prepared enough. They’ll do great.”

“Their song is a little naughty. Did you write it?”

What?

Eun Mi smiled her trademark smile, her eyes glowing. Taewoon was not given the chance to object; the elevator stopped, the door sliding open.

Taewoon could not decide if the heavens were on his side or against him. On the other side of the door, waiting to get in, stood SHINee’s Flaming Charisma Minho and Almighty Key. A tiny, sort of strangled, sound came from Eun Mi.

She gripped the back of his hoodie, half-hiding behind him. He looked over his shoulder, an endearing smile on his lips.

“Hello,” Minho greeted them, bowing as he and Key climbed on.

Taewoon returned the greeting, keeping a very amused eye on Eun Mi. She gripped his hoodie tighter, her eyes squeezed shut.

“What are you doing? Are you not going to greet them?” he whispered, his voice inaudible to SHINee as the door slid closed.

Eun Mi shook her head fiercely, peeked from around Taewoon, and greeted them as quickly as she could without behind rude. She hid once more, pressing her forehead against Taewoon’s back, holding her breath, trying to become invisible.

No one mentioned how the floor which SHINee got on was the same floor they were supposed to get off on. The elevator started its steady decent.


The last thing SHINee’s Key and Minho expected to find on the elevator was a half-hidden Song Eun Mi. The man she hid behind seemed vaguely familiar, a face they had doubtlessly seen more than a few times.

Minho stood with his hands in his pockets, leaning against the wall. He kept the conversation between him and Key flowing, attempting to ease whatever tension Eun Mi must be feeling. He glanced in her direction several times.

Minho wanted to ask after her, wanted to know if she was okay or if any other crazy reporters had bothered her. He wondered if he should—

“Did CELESTIAL have a comeback?”

Key’s question sliced through the atmosphere like a knife. Taewoon looked at him, clearly startled. He nudged Eun Mi, giving his arm a tiny shake as he looked over his shoulder at her.

“Eun Mi-ah, Key sunbaenim asked you a question.”

“E-eh? W-what?”

Taewoon grinned, swinging his arm over her head, drawing her forward, placing her front and center before her favorite group. If he had known just how much Eun Mi adored SHINee’s Almighty Key, he would not have been as hasty or bold.

Bewildered, Eun Mi looked from Key to Minho, her eyes desperately searching for an escape. Finally, though Minho’s green contact lenses contrasted beautifully with his dark hair, Eun Mi settled on him. She couldn’t look at Key for too long. Plus he was wearing one of those headbands he’d taken a liking to; Eun Mi didn’t care for them much.

“I-I’m sorry, I didn’t hear your question.”

“I asked it,” Key said. He didn’t speak again until Eun Mi looked at him. “Did CELESTIAL have a comeback?”

“N-not yet.”

“Hm.”

The elevator jerked slightly, indicating their arrival. Minho, concerned, looked from Key to Eun Mi to Taewoon. Key exited without another word. Minho smiled at Eun Mi before following after him.

“Hey,” he chased after him, “what was that all about?”

“She needs to stop hiding. We’re not going to eat her alive. She has got to know that we’re aware of her.”

Minho didn’t disagree with Key, not entirely. He wanted to be friends with Eun Mi just as much, but maybe Key had been a bit much.

S-sunbaenim!

They stopped. Eun Mi stood with one foot in the hallway and another inside the elevator. Taewoon held the door open. Her eyes were wide, gleaming, nervous, and daring. One of her pigtails draped over her shoulder, her hair clinging to her blouse.

“Good luck tonight!”

Minho’s smile broke through, his eyes shining. He leaned forward, raising a fist. “Fighting!”

Breathing a laugh, Eun Mi mimicked his gestures. “SHINee, fighting!”

Key didn’t say anything, he simply smiled. It wasn’t his trademark smirk, no, it was that small, kind, gentle smile that made Eun Mi’s own grow so big she could feel her cheeks ache. She watched them walk away, their handsome backs triumphant.

Whirling around, Eun Mi launched herself at Taewoon, throwing her body at him, wrapping her arms around his neck. Taewoon held her steady, one arm secured around her waist. Her momentum half-spun him.

“Oh my gosh! That was SHINee!

“E-Eun Mi—”

“I can’t believe it! SHINee’s Key talked to me!”

“E-Eun Mi! I can’t breathe!”

But instead of apologizing, Eun Mi nuzzled his cheek, laughing merrily. She tried her best to connect with her favorite group without overstepping her bounds as a fan. She never once took advantage of her position as a celebrity to approach them.

Healthy, Taewoon realized. Eun Mi was a healthy fan, the kind that showed her support without obsessing. 

Taewoon, despite the lack of oxygen, rather enjoyed this side of her.