You.

Brothers Were Brave

The soft sound of her alarm pull Eun Mi out of heavy sleep. She could feel slumber upon her like a heavy rock. Her mind swirled in and out of awareness, the song she’d chosen as her alarm the only anchor to reality.

For a moment, she feared she’d miscalculated time. Her doctor had instructed her to take her sleeping pills only if she knew she had enough time. At first, she’d been unable to find time to sleep the eight hours her dosage required. It was only until after they’d lowered the dosage that she managed to follow the doctor’s orders well.

As the song approached its end, Eun Mi tried to open her eyes. Sleep held her down, luring her back. She struggled, fighting against it.

She had to get up. She had to shower, wake up the girls, get ready for the airport—the airport!

The thought shattered sleep. Eun Mi’s eyes shot open, the darkness in her room and the soft melody of her alarm assured her that she’d be in time if she got up now. Giving her pillow one last hug, she headed for the shower as she tied her hair up in a bun; they would wash it at the salon.

Eun Mi had the bad habit of taking long showers. She’d never been able to break it, so she’d solved the problem by waking up an hour and thirty minutes before she had to wake up the girls. She couldn’t shower in lukewarm water, which also meant that she also ended up using most of the hot water. Waking up before the rest solved the problem well enough.

She didn’t want to start her day. She wanted to go back to bed, wanted to go back to those dreamless hours. She didn’t get many nights like those.

Shuffling about the dorm, she reached the kitchen and the dim lights. Their managers still weren’t up, so she figured she’d make breakfast for everyone.

The front door’s lock chimed as it unlocked. The manager team leader stared at her as she opened and closed cabinets, using her entire body to maneuver around the kitchen.

“If one were to see you, they’d think you were a housewife,” he said good-naturedly.

“Good morning Manager Jo,” Eun Mi smiled, handing him a steaming cup of coffee. “You’re late.”

“I’m not late. You’re up too early.” He took the creamer she offered with an appreciative nod. “Where are the other managers?”

“I let them sleep. We have busy days ahead, so I figured I would take care of breakfast today.”

Manager Jo raised his eyebrows. “Eun Mi, you’re going to be busier than us. You’re the one that has to be up on stage.”

“Those working behind the scenes work just as hard,” she gave him a meaningful look. “You’re up just as early as I am, aren’t you?”

“Touché.”

Eun Mi wiped her hands on her apron. “I’m going to wake up the girls. I told them to finish packing last night, but I’m sure they forgot several things.”

Manager Jo checked his watch. If allowed to do so, Eun Mi would run them all an hour ahead of schedule.

“Chae Young-ah, Chae,” Eun Mi shook the sleeping girl. “It’s time to wake up.”

Chae groaned, turning her back on her leader. Eun Mi gave her one final, gentle wake up call. Again, Chae ignored her. Sighing, Eun Mi went back to her room, grabbed her iPod and connected it via Bluetooth to their surround sound system.

“Oh no,” Manager Jo laughed.

“Oh, yes.” Eun Mi grinned as she pressed play.

The sound of trumpets accompanied by the trademark Mexican shout erupted through the speakers. Eun Mi broke into a large smile as she sang along to the mix of Mexico’s favorite traditional songs. She went around opening doors, pulling blankets off warm bodies, and hitting ridiculously high notes, carrying them through for a handful of seconds before moving on to the next. Her vocal range never failed to astound anyone that heard it.

Manager Jo watched and heard her go from room to room. He thanked the heavens for the soundproof nature of the dorm, although he knew Eun Mi would’ve chosen a different method of waking the girls up if she couldn’t blast her country’s traditional songs.

“Hey! Who ignored our leader this morning?” Ienna, the crankiest member in the mornings, forgot her manners and shouted informally.

“Chae Young!” ReNA tackled the culprit. “You need to wake up! Look what you did!”

Soon enough the dorm bustled with activity. As punishment for being the cause of their Mexican awakening, Chae was the last to take a shower. If the Mexican music didn’t wake her up, the cold water did.  

Eun Mi checked that the girls had their possessions ready to go after she finished making breakfast.

“You have your knee-brace?” She handed ReNA a bottle of banana milk.

“Ienna, did you pack your glasses? We can’t have your eyes turning red like last time.”

“Underwear, DAEE, underwear.”

“Chae! You packed too much again!”

Manager Jo checked his watch, amazed at how Eun Mi managed to get the girls ready so quickly. They ended up waiting on the managers while eating breakfast.

“Unnie,” Ienna said in a tone much gentler than the one she’d used half an hour before. “Why don’t you wake us up with gentler songs? I feel like Pancho Villa is raiding our dorm whenever you wake us up like that.”

“Good, then you’ll be ready when it actually happens.”

“Can every Mexican sing like that?” DAEE asked for the millionth time.

“We’re born singing Viva México while the mariachi play outside the delivery room.”

“Are you serious?!”

Manager Jo choked on his coffee as he laughed. CELESTIAL laughed at him and at DAEE’s naiveté. Exchanges like these were never scarce in CELESTIAL’s dorm.


Going to the airport was the worst. CELESTIAL hated the busy gate areas, the cramped space of the airplanes. When Eun Mi’s anxiety was particularly bad, Manager Jo walked closest to her, slowing her steps to keep the girls from noticing.

As he pulled up to the front entrance, he feared Eun Mi would shatter. He stole a glance in her direction, watching her send a text message with a small smile on her lips.

“Is that Su Jong oppa?” DAEE asked. “Will L6 be flying with us?”

“They’re scheduled for the same flight. They should already be by the gate.” Manager Jo explained.

To avoid serious crowding in the airport, the companies had all agreed to a schedule of arrival. This would clear out the drop-off areas and allow one group’s fansites and fans to clear out the area for the next group. Groups were to be flown in separate planes, of course, with label mates in the same flight if possible.

“We see them every day,” Eun Mi said, a slight frown on her lips.

“Did you get in an argument with Tae Jun oppa again?” ReNA said with a laugh. “You two are the eldest, you should get along.”

Thus, a discussion of Tae Jun ensued. Eun Mi argued that he was the most annoying man she’d ever met while the rest of CELESTIAL countered that they knew worse. Manager Jo tuned out their senseless argument as he maneuvered the van into an available slot.

Male and female fans awoke from their slumber. Expensive cameras were raised, cheers carried over, penetrating the van. Eun Mi turned around, checking on the members.

DAEE’s bare legs worried her; the wind still felt cold. She couldn’t do anything about it except hand her some vitamins. DAEE took them wordlessly, used to her leader’s worrying. The girls looked ready, eager; it would be their second time out of the country since KCON 2014, they were ready to go.

“Eun Mi-ah, it’s time.” Manager Jo said.

Nodding, Eun Mi pushed the door open, stepping out first. She gripped her passport and plane ticket in one hand, drawing her braid over her shoulder with the other. Ienna followed, smoothing out her blouse as best she could before looking to Eun Mi for help. As the maknae and leader engaged themselves in the sudden wardrobe malfunction, DAEE jumped out of the van, her bangled wrists jiggling.

“DAEE, please,” said Eun Mi. DAEE grinned, giving her head a shake that ruffled her short hair.

ReNA followed Chae, both sticking close together as they showcased their matching best friend bags.

CELESTIAL made their way alongside their assigned managers, expertly ignoring the cameras while acknowledging their fans. A.Borealis had learned early on that CELESTIAL would not take any gifts or fan letters while at the airport. Eun Mi had personally addressed the safety hazard this posed, apologizing as she instructed them in the proper methods of delivering fan letters.

Manager Jo kept a close eye on the girls, never failing to be pleasantly amazed at how well behaved and respectful A.Borealis were. They kept a respectful distance, called to CELESTIAL affectionately. The men praised them. This time, Ienna’s uncle fans were the majority.

Security watched with approval. As CELESTIAL moved, so did A.Borealis. The organized synchronization present between the idols and their fans received nods of approval from bystanders.

Checking in proved to be just as swift as their arrival. As CELESTIAL headed towards the security checkpoint, they stopped, turned, and bowed to A.Borealis, sending waves. Only Eun Mi blew kisses, her trademark fan service that never failed to render A.Borealis speechless.


“You guys are here early.” Su Jong met up with CELESTIAL just outside the security checkpoint. He held their passports as they put on their shoes.

“At what time is the plane leaving?” asked ReNA, already eyeing the nearest store.

“In about two hours or so,” said Su Jong.

Manager Jo checked his ticket then asked Eun Mi for hers. She handed it to him, tapping the tip of her shoe to the floor. Something in Manager Jo’s expression made her stomach clench.

“Is there a problem?”

Manager Jo gave her a brief glance before gathering up the rest of their boarding passes. “Go wait with L6. I’ll find you girls there.”

“My bet,” said Su Jong, “is that they booked us for different flights.”

“As long as they didn’t book us for a different country, it should be okay.”

Su Jong bit his lip, throwing his arm over her shoulders. “True, but, it could prove troublesome.”

Eun Mi laughed. “I see no real issue as long as we all get to Hanoi in time.”

“You’re doing it again.”

“Doing what?”

“Trying to explain your worries away.”

Eun Mi made to answer, but before she did, Manager Jo came rushing towards them.

“Girls, hurry, we have to go!”

“Where?” asked Ienna.

“In the opposite direction! They booked us for the wrong flight. It leaves in twenty minutes! They promised to wait for us, but let’s not take any chances. Hurry!”

Su Jong and Eun Mi exchanged looks. He gave her braid a tug, smiling encouragingly. His eyes overcast by a sudden shadow.

Eun Mi paused, trepidation giving her pause. “What is it? What are you not telling me?”

“Eun Mi, just,” he gave her hand a squeeze, “take deep breaths.”

Manager Jo urged Eun Mi, waiting for her as the rest of the managing team hurried CELESTIAL along.

“S-Su Jong, who is it? What group?”

He gave her forehead a quick kiss, releasing her hand. “Go, Eun Mi. You’ll miss the flight.”

Manager Jo took her hand and dragged her along. She twisted round, her eyes wide, somewhat frightened. Su Jong took a step towards her, wanting to follow. A strong hand clasped his shoulder.

“Don’t,” Tae Jun whispered. “She needs to face this.”

“Face this?” Su Jong snatched his shoulder free. “That guy is an absolute . If I hear that he said or did one more thing to her, I will break his nose.”

Tae Jun’s leveled gaze subdued Su Jong’s. He looked away in angry silence.

Eun Mi was no longer distinguishable in the crowd. She was so tiny, she’d always been. Su Jong knew she could take care of herself; what he hated was the fact that she shouldn’t need to be strong all the time. Often times, he wondered if she would rely more on him if only they were actually related.

If he were her older brother, would she confide in him when she felt weak?

Tae Jun also felt this way. Eun Mi was precious to him. He hadn’t understood why she’d been casted for the longest time. After he left for the military, though, Eun Mi had constantly written to him, cheering him on and telling him that she missed having him around.

“You’re like a cousin to me,” she’d written to him, “the kind that is brotherly and annoying at the same time. I miss you most during lunch time. It isn’t that we’re too quiet, it’s the fact that your absence is felt. Please take care of your health and mind while you’re gone. You must come back safely.”

Seeing the fear in her eyes had caused his insides to burn. Still, Tae Jun knew that she could not avoid it forever. Taking the same plane to Hanoi was only the beginning. She would have trying days ahead; he might as well prepare her for them as much as he could. Right now, keeping Su Jong from walking her to her gate meant just that.


Kyung nearly spat out his water when he saw the members of CELESTIAL boarding their plane. Zico, too engaged in a silly game with P.O., failed to notice the moment Eun Mi followed after her members.

She did not look like the girl he’d met a week ago. The flush had drained from her face, her steady hands seemed to tremble; her steps were hesitant. She looked at the floor, wringing her hands nervously.

“E-Eun Mi-ah,” Kyung said in a near whisper, her name being nothing more than an exhaled breath.

The moment she heard her name, the Eun Mi he’d met appeared. She looked up, met his eyes, and gave him her trademark smile, the one with her tongue between her teeth. She waved, stopping briefly when the stewardess indicated that her seat was the empty one next to Kyung.

Kyung stepped out into the aisle, allowing her to take the seat he’d previously had. It would place greater distance between her and Zico.

“What’s going on? I thought we were the only ones in this flight.”

Eun Mi took her seat, fastening her seatbelt even though they wouldn’t take off for a few more minutes. “I don’t know. I think there was a mistake somewhere. We were supposed to fly with L6.”

Kyung angled his body to shield her from Zico’s view. Over the course of the past week, he’d failed to know the reason behind Zico’s vicious dislike of Eun Mi. He’d also managed to like her even more with each conversation they had over KaTalk.

“Will you be okay? Maybe we could ask someone to trade seats with you. You’re pretty far from CELESTIAL.”

“The stewardess said—”

“Hey, Kyung!” Zico reached over and smacked Kyung on the arm. He tried to tell him something through fits of laughter. He grabbed his jacket as he laughed, pulling it. Kyung’s shoulder gave way to the sudden force. Eun Mi’s round face paled as Zico’s eyes zeroed in on her.

You.”

Eun Mi bowed to him, keeping her shoulders back. She gave him a pleasant, formal greeting before turning her attention elsewhere.

“Zico,” Kyung lean towards him, his body leaning out into the aisle. “Hey, Zico!”

Zico tore his glaring eyes away from Eun Mi to stare are his lifelong friend. “Stay away from her, Kyung.”

It was Kyung’s turn to narrow his eyes. “Eun Mi is my friend.”

“Friend? Don’t be stupid, you don’t know the kind of person she is.”

“Neither do you.”

“You have no idea.”

“Don’t I?” Kyung lowered his voice even further. “I have a feeling you misjudge her, Jiho.”

“I don’t!”

“Oh? Then tell me what makes her so damn awful.”

Zico pursed his lips. Glaring at Kyung, yet unable to be fully angry at him. He could never forsake his friend over something as foolish as the people he chose to acquaint himself with. Although he didn’t like Eun Mi, he didn’t think she was worth a nasty fight with Kyung who seemed so willing to defend her.

Shaking his head, Zico drew back into his seat. “Don’t let your guard down.”

“Maybe you should lower yours.”

Kyung’s tone stung him. When he looked in his direction, he found he’d already turned his head away, focused entirely on the girl that held a rosary between her hands.

The sight of Mary’s blessed rosary in her hands felt like someone dumped a bucket of iced water on him. Her fingers caressed the beads tenderly while her eyes focused on Kyung. Zico could’ve sworn her hands trembled.

Upset, conflicted, he turned away from them.

He thought back on the day that he’d first seen Eun Mi. She hadn’t debuted then, hell, she hadn’t even had clear skin.

A pimply, plump girl, that’s how he remembered her. A pimply, plump stalker leaving notes on their front door. A pimply, plump girl that had shamelessly offered him the packet of letters she’d been about to leave on their welcome mat. A pimply, plump girl that had left her number scrawled on a piece of paper stuck to their dorm door. She’d been shameless enough to bow to him and wish him a good day.

Eun Mi had been nothing but a stalker.

Zico hated stalkers. No matter how many Hail Mary’s Eun Mi prayed, no matter how many times she crossed herself or appealed to Our Lady, he would never have anything to do with her. Ever.

Zico hated Eun Mi.